Backp Exec users

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by k2737, Oct 13, 2006.

1. k2737

k2737 Active Member

I am switching over from Retrospect to Backup Exec 10 next week...Any tips? I looked over some of the documentation and it looks pretty straight forward, just wanted to see if there was anything you guys ran into that was weird. Soooo glad to be getting rid of Retrospect.

2. DrDickAction

DrDickAction She needs more of ze punishment!

It went very smoothly in our case. Picks up every mailbox store on ex2k3 and everything.

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Not really - I had one problem awhile ago that preventing me from installing it from a network location. Kind of weird really - it would install but it just wouldn't keep any of the catalogues. Installed from the CD, no problem. Are you using any of the agents?

4. k2737

k2737 Active Member

I think we got the desktop/laptop, open file, remote agent and a linux client. Any good books/sites to read up on backup exec other then their own documentation?

5. GroundControl

GroundControl Rock your face like a hurricane!

If you have exchange, you will need the exchange option. If you want to back up SQL databases, you will also need the SQL option. Also, when you install Backup exec, be sure to check their websites for updates and patches. There are usually several available. Their tech support is hit or miss. I have spent many hours working with their tech support and ended up just saying "Forget it, I will figure it out myself" due to their lack of knowledge on the subject. I would explain the issue and would be put on hold each time I would ask a question. Other times they are right on the money and the problem is fixed quickly.

6. TheRider

TheRider Geeky OT Supporter

Remember Exchange, SQL, and OFO, probably a few more too all include the remote agent, meaning if you buy one of those for a remote server you don't need to purchase the remote agent as well, you only need the remote agent if you aren't using other agents. (IDR does not include it)

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Well technically it doesn't prevent you from doing much. It's the honour system approach to licensing.