Backlight life?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ExDelayed, May 5, 2007.

1. ExDelayed

ExDelayed New Member

Bought my laptop at the start of August last year. For four weeks out of six, I am on it every night for about twelve hours. The machine was set up to turn the screen off/standby after a few minutes in case I had to leave it (in the shack at work), just for safety. The internet is rare where I am working and I didnt want people just inviting themselves to use it.

Anyway, over the past few days I have noticed that the left side/left corner especially is a little darker then the rest of the screen. Its about the brightness that the display goes if I disconnect AC power. Its starting to get noticeable.

The computer is still under warranty so I am not worried about that. I was curious if how I was having the screen turn off actually shortened the life of the backlight. I am starting to think that it did. :( Would it be better for it if it was just on for those twelve straight hours?

2. Create

Create :free at last:

When your screen is black, is it really black or is it some shade of grey?

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea, did it turn the backlight off? Or did it simply "blank" the screen. Big diff.

4. Create

Create :free at last:

Isn't there a BIOS setting that defines what windows power management does when it shuts down the screen?

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it's not controlled in BIOS. Windows will override them through the ACPI/APM API.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

In fact, because of this, it's better to just disable all the BIOS power settings except for the main one that enables ACPI.

7. ExDelayed

ExDelayed New Member

When the screen is powered down the entire thing is the same shade of black. When its on, like right now, its just barely more dim, like looking at it off angle or something.

As for power settings, if I close the screen, the machine hibernates. Those settings have been made in Windows.