Backing up mutiple machines

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bear Klaw, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

is there is a network version of Norton Ghost (by Symantec)? I know that I can install a separate version of Ghost onto each machine, but I would like to be able to initiate the backup from one machine and have the backups stored on a single server. If that is not possible, how about Symantec's product called Backup Exec? Specifically, what would be the cost for the software to backup 5 computers on a network?:wavey:

2. 7960

7960 New Member

why can't you install syncback on all 5 comptuers and have them all back up to the one server?

3. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

i guess i could? i never heard of this programs, i am just asking with what my boss mentioned. buit as long as it can do what he wants, it does'nt matter the program:hsd:

4. inferno8ball

inferno8ball 190 proof Everclear + MD Amped energy d

ghost will work the way you need it to, u can just specify the network address for the image to be saved.

just run the wizard, and specify a shared network drive.

edit: is this all your backup solution is? do you even have a tape backup with offsite storage? storing images to a server is great for when u need to recover a fucked up machine, but it is no way a solid backup solution for a company.

5. 7960

7960 New Member

6. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

would i be able to back up the machines this way just from my computer?

7. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

i need to be able to back up other computers from my computer(the server) and have the image saved to this pc.

8. 7960

7960 New Member

out of curiousity, why?

why can't you have scheduled back-ups running on each machine that all back up to the server? why must it be initiated from your computer?

and do you need an image or just user created data?

9. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

A few years back I setup a Legato server running SGI's Irix, all the clients were SGI boxes as well. It was a biomedical research lab in Cambridge, MA, nightly the PCs would back up to the server. It was a two piece product client side and server side. It would kick off a backup of one machine, when that one was done the next one would start. Sounds like what you want . . . I haven't used Legato in the XP/x32 world in a looong time, still might be an option.

10. inferno8ball

inferno8ball 190 proof Everclear + MD Amped energy d

you dont do backups. you schedule them. you can set up a schedule with ghost for whatever, hourly, daily, monthly, weekly, yearly, whatever.

if you set up remote access you can initiate anything on any machine.

as stated above, do you need to image drives? or do you have to backup user data? if you need to store user data, just set up user network shares, and then image that one drive daily.

11. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

he wants to image the whlole drive, my computer(the server) holds all user data. Like documents, desktop icons, etc. All computers run from my system, but he wants to image the drives of the other computers.

I told him about the free program, he is against free software. Says he wants to pay for it(thinks free software is shady).

So Norton ghost can be programed to back up at a certain time from each pc, to a specified network drive...?

12. 7960

7960 New Member

"all computers run from (your) system"

what??

your boss is a moran but hey, I've made plenty of money off people like him so I shouldn't be complaining.

there are dozens of articles like this that recommend syncback.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm#30

13. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

What version of norton ghost would i want to do this?

14. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

Everyone is linked to my pc in a way, that if they want a icon on their desktop for example, i have to put it in their desktop folder.

15. keleko

keleko yes, he is

ifl...

16. 7960

7960 New Member

:eek3:

your boss is sounding worse and worse

17. Create

Create :free at last:

Backup Exec works great but is pricey. I use them for their intelligent IDR.

18. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

19. keleko

keleko yes, he is

wtf is wrong with vertias? :dunno:

does everything i want it to...