Backing up DVDs question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by II nonsense II, May 17, 2004.

1. II nonsense II

II nonsense II Not Membered

I just ordered mine off newegg (thanks to OT)
    anything a newbie need to know? ..how easy it is to backup dvds, what are all the essentials i need to have in order to do so, how long for one dvd @ 8x speed, etc.. anything will do.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

At 8x, you can probably burn a full disc in just under 10 minutes. I might be less, but I can burn a disc with my 4x burner in 15.

Anyway, you'll need a program to rip the disc to your hard drive and then a program to compress (if needed) and then a program to burn it.

I use DVD Decryptor to rip (free) and Pinnacle Instant Copy to compress and burn (not free)

Check out the forums and guides at www.dvdrhelp.com. They will have the ansers to all of your questions.

HTH.

CM>

3. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

Just make sure that the actual dvds are good quality. I went cheap when I got my dvd burner and bought a 25 pack of no name dvd-rs for $20. I tried at least 10 of them and every single one of them had some problem when I went to play them. As for programs, the best are probably Nero 6.0 to burn them and dvd shrink to rip them. Dvd shrink is free and Nero 6.0 has a freeware version. It's pretty easy to do if you have the right software.

4. II nonsense II

II nonsense II Not Membered

thanks guys. I'll look into dvdrhelp, but trying not to buy cheap no name dvd-rs will be somewhat of a challenge :o

5. Kent

Kent Guest

I've got a 4x burner... it takes a lot less time to copy movies than I thought.

Get DVD Shrink and DVD Decryptor.

I bought some cheap-ass DVD-R's and haven't had any problems with them.

6. Blazed Monkey

Blazed Monkey It puts the lotion on its skin....

I use DVDShrink to rip the movies, the Nero to burn the .iso file.

Something you need to make sure of those, as this caused me a LOT of grief. Make sure you update your ASPI to the latest version, found at http://adaptec.com/worldwide/suppor...no&language=English+US&filekey=aspi_471a2.exe

Also, make sure that you have DMA enabled for your burner, here is a walktrough on how to do it: http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7625

Before I finally figured this out, I was burning discs and getting archiving on the tracks around chapter 9 to the end of the disc. Some were so bad that they wouldn't even play properly after a certain point. After I did my updates, everything worked perfectly, haven't made a single bad disc since. Also, make sure you update the firmware for your DVDR.

7. Blazed Monkey

Also, if you are downloading DVDR's, and you are looking for a label for the discs, you can find scans of the discs at http://www.cdcovers.cc/

8. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

there is a crapload (std unit of measure for freeware) of utilities for this and a detailed set of instructions for all kinds of dvd work. there must be several easier ways, but if you want to learn all about this sort of thing this site is awesome:

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/guides.htm

9. WPS

WPS f22c1

when you use nero to burn the iso. do you just drag and drop in the file? is it.. dvd-rom(iso),dvd copy, dvd-video,dvd-rom(boot), dvd-rom(udf),dvd-rom(udf/iso)?
    want to be able to play it on a dvd player

10. Up All Night

Up All Night I might sleep all day

Easiest is DVD shrink and something to burn the files it creates (i use nero)

11. COMplex

COMplex New Member

just curious... i am possibly going to order a dual layer burner. will i now be able to copy a FULL dvd with 100% quality?

i LOVE how well dvd shrink works, but i wish there was a way to copy a FULL dvd just as easy with a dual layer setup.

any ideas?

12. Blazed Monkey

I usually just open nero, then click the "Nero Express" button on the right, set it to burn disc image, and go from there. Of course, you can always just open nero, close the wizard, then click File -> Open, and point it at the .iso and it will set all the paramaters that way too so all you have to do is set your speed and click "Burn"

Use DVDDecrypter for that, you can strip the exact contents of the DVD without shrinking it.

13. _dice

_dice Guest

i use dvdxcopy and ifoedit to take out the disclaimer

14. WPS

WPS f22c1

bin and cue files are burned with nero?
    what about pots?
    or R00 , R01..
    man im confused

15. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

i don't know what pots are. r## are .rar files. use winrar to open the first one and the rest will also decompress