Backing up computer files

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by LudaMan, Mar 21, 2005.

1. LudaMan

LudaMan Active Member

I need to backup my files before i reboot. Wheres a good site i can go to to back up my files? Or are there any better ways to do this?

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Rebooting doesn't require backing anything up so I'll assume you mean that you're going to reformat your hard disk. How much do you have to back up? 50MB? 500GB? What hardware do you have available? A thumb drive works well for small amounts of data (under 1GB). You could backup to a recordable CD or DVD if you have a burner. For large amounts of data you could connect a USB2.0 or Firewire hard disk and drag and drop your files over. Or if you're on a network and another machine on the LAN has enough disk space, you could store your files there.

3. LudaMan

LudaMan Active Member

I have a lot of music files, and stuff, and the problem is that my CD-R drive on my laptop is broken, so i need to get it fixed. I wanted to dump my harddrive and back things up before i took it in

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Do you have USB2.0 or Firewire on your laptop? If so, I'd get an external hard disk. Its a good way to backup large amounts of stuff quickly and since its readable in any machine w/o special software, restoring is easy. If you don't have USB2.0 or Firewire, you can add it via PC Card easily.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

In other words, what do you have available? Another computer?

6. TV-MA

TV-MA Guest

hell or you could just pull the hard drive and throw in a different one while you send it in :dunno:

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Hard drives are so cheap now, so just buy a new drive, put Windows on it, and put the old one in as a slave to get your stuff off it.

8. LudaMan

LudaMan Active Member

Yeah i found a good deal at best buy, so ill think ill check that out. Thanks for the replies guys.