backing up all my old home videos

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Frazz, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Frazz

Frazz New Member

i was about to start backing all my old family VHS's onto dvds.

but the problem is now that bluray has won, should i just wait another 6 months to a year until bluray burners are cheaper and do them onto bluray?

or should i do VHS -> dvd now, and DVD -> bluray later?

either way what program/device is best for these types of conversions, i would prefer to do it myself and not send them to a company that does it for me, alot of these videos are very important and i dont want to risk having anything done to them.

i also have alot of 8mm video camera tapes that i need to do also, and if theres a device/program that will do vhs and 8mm that would be awesome

Cliffs: what format should i update my VHS's to, and what should i use?

:x:

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

it might take a while for blu-ray recordable disks and burners to get cheaper,... and faster. the fastest blu-ray burner right now is what? 4x? and at $300+?

for the transfer,... you need to hook up the VHS/Video camera to the pc.
    what you need here is a capture card or those USB video capture devices.
    some of these comes with capture software. you can also use Windows Movie Maker. I use Nero.

3. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

You are not going to notice any difference between burning them onto DVD vs. Blu-Ray. The quality of a VHS is no better than a DVD and therefore you would gain nothing if you put them onto Blu-ray. The only thing I recommend is to not compress the video any. If it is a long enough video and won't fit on a regular DVD then just use a dual-layer DVD.

Record them to the computer in a .AVI filetype and go from there. As for the actual burning process, I like ConvertXtoDVD by VSO for the DVD encoding/burning process.

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

you need a video capture device. something that accepts composite inputs. then hook up the vcr or video cam's composite out to that. i have an ati all in wonder 9600 that i'm willing to let go of for $35

5. Frazz

Frazz New Member

friends letting me use his pinnacle dazzle that does rca cables and s-video ports.

neither the vcr or camcorder have an s video port. if i find a different one, that has a s video and not rca cables will the quality be higher?

:dunno:

6. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

s-video usually gives you a slightly sharper and more vibrant picture. i'd take it over composite if i had a choice