Backing Plate

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by joedog24, Dec 28, 2004.

1. joedog24

joedog24 New Member

Whats the best size backing plate? And who makes the "best" backing plate?

2. solaraguy

solaraguy Guest

It depends on whether you're using a DA(PC) or a rotary and it also will depend on your pad size. I prefer a flexible backing plate to a more rigid one...it is easier to transition across the curves of the car to me and it seems like my pads last longer too.

3. joedog24

joedog24 New Member

I don't think most people are ready for a rotary or cyclo, whats the pros and cons of 5 and 6" PC backing plates? Probably go with LC.

4. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

I have the 6" backing plate that came with my LC pad kit. It's a flexible urethane and it works with every 6.5" pad that I've used thus far and I've used pretty much every brand on the market I think.

5. solaraguy

solaraguy Guest

I have a 5 1/2" & a 6"...it really depends on the pad you use...a 5 1/2" is great for the Sonus & Excel Detail Pads (which are the same), my Edge pads & some of the Lake Country pads I have. I don't use the 6" much anymore because I like the flexible backing plate better.

Basically you want to make sure that the backing plate doesn't cut into the back of the pad so you really don't want it to be bigger than the velcro on the back of the pad...another danger is if the backing plate extends too close to the edge of the pad you could hit the car with it and then you'd need more correction that your PC can probably offer.

6. joedog24

joedog24 New Member

I may go with the 5" excel backing plate. Good choice?

7. solaraguy

solaraguy Guest

It will work great with their pads & the Sonus pads! :bigthumb:

8. joedog24

joedog24 New Member

FanFreakinTastic, its on the way!