Back Workout Woes

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by uofapeter, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

Every time back day comes around, i feel like i cant isolate my back and work it out hard enough.

If i stack on the weight, i feel like i lose focus and control and never really exhaust my back. If i drop the weight, i can really focus on back rather than my arms, and can get a solid burn around 10-15 reps.

Im currently trying to bulk. I feel like my back, specifically my lats, are lagging pretty hard.

What would you guys reccomend? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Abomb

Abomb New Member

dead lift.. weighted pull ups.. barbell rows.. db rows... wide grip lat pull downs etc etc etc

oh yah dead lift

3. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

So pinch the shoulderblades together then pull. Will give it a shot this evening.

4. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

i didnt start feeling it in my back until i started learning to bench correctly, oddly enough.

it helps me to keep a slight arch in my back and squeeze my shoulderblades together thereby squeezing the lats at the top of an excercise.

5. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

do you feel an exhaustion and pump in your back when youve completed your back workout?

I only get that feeling when i take it with lower weight and super slow and controlled movements. As i am trying to bulk, i feel like this is the wrong approach. stuck between the two.

6. Frank Dux

Frank Dux Guest

Deadlift. And I guarantee you won't walk out of there like you didn't do anything

7. TheDude

TheDude Active Member

pull ups and deadlifts...noway not to feel something after these.

8. TZ

TZ Banned

deadlifts really destroy my back

9. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

How much do deadlifts isolate the lats?

I've been concentrating on my traps and inner, upper back lately, as they lag pretty bad, but they're starting to get caught up, so I'd like to get back into lat work.

But I don't have a pull down machine... (and my basement isn't high enough for pull ups...)

thoughts?

Oh, and deadlifts, dumbell shrugs and barbell rows are the mainstays of my back workout...

10. NUDES

NUDES New Member

I only feel deadlifts in my back if it's an 8+ rep set. I mean soreness wise.

11. NUDES

NUDES New Member

When I did 500x10 in 60 sec w/ a full reset each rep my back was the most sore it had ever been.. pretty much ever.

But the mantra of F&N is that any reps over 2 on a deadlift is bad for you, so I donno what to tell ya.

12. TZ

TZ Banned

well , as you get more fatigued isn't it true that your form starts breaking down? that might lead to an increased risk of injury. just a thought as far as deadlifts in the 8+ rep range. i mean, whenever one is lifting, they're taking a chance to get injured..

13. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

I know my form goes to the shitter when i get tired.

14. NUDES

NUDES New Member

Yeah this is true but it's also true that your knee may break when squatting. Your might fuck your lower back up pulling heavy.

I mean I understand blatant stupidity stuff, but come on.. everything has its risk.

And you said you wanted to do SM stuff.. you do know that the sports direction is traveling mostly to high rep DL's? You don't see many SM contests nowadays with a max pull (which sucks IMO.)

15. NUDES

NUDES New Member

FWIW Brad Gillingham in off season training does sets of 600-700 for high reps (8+) beltless deadlifts.

Andy Bolton does beltless deadlifts in a decent rep range - 800x5 beltless..

16. TZ

TZ Banned

I'd imagine so. But, form can break down whenever the weights get heavy too. guess it's just part of the risk. it seems theres a lot of people out there that have injured their back deadlifting. i've had a few times where i was afraid i really hurt myself, but i have been lucky enough where nothing has been serious, and i've recovered pretty quick.

17. NUDES

NUDES New Member

18. TZ

TZ Banned

yeah, just gotta try to maintain good form i suppose. i went to my friend's contest bout a month ago, and there was a max 18 inch deadlift -- very cool event, it's fun seeing the massive weight moved.

19. NUDES

NUDES New Member

I don't like partial stuff. I wish every SM contest had a max regular deadlift. But it isn't powerlifting, so that wont happen.

20. TZ

TZ Banned

Max axle deadlift would be pretty sweet

21. NUDES

NUDES New Member

Nah.. another thing I don't like.

99.99% of SM contest will have a farmers or frame carry.

Farmers/Frame = grip.

Axle DL = grip.

No reason whatsoever to have 2 grip events in one contest.

22. TZ

TZ Banned

lol, yeah i suppose you have a point. I like lifting with the fat bars though, pretty fun. Speaking of grip, you have any tips for improving it real fast? I don't have the implements for farmers walks, and my first strongman comp is on October 13th. one of the events is farmers walk 250 per hand for 200 feet with one turn...I think I'm fucked; merely picking that up is difficult for me, last time I did it. the one thing i've been doing lately is putting those tylergrip things on and just holding a deadlift as long as i can.

23. NUDES

NUDES New Member

I donno dude, my grip blows too. 200 feet is a long way... lol. But anyway, I think the best way to get better at farmers is to do farmers. Thats what works for me anyway..

24. Mass

Mass Active Member

25. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

i don't think it's really for the lats... more posterior chain, upper spinal erectors, traps, and other muscles in the back, but, since you're really letting the weight hang as it pulls into your body, I don't think the lats are engaged much. Back doesn't always mean lats. Pur's routine has a pretty hardcore lat-focus on back day.... if you throw in DLs and take out one of the types of rows/pulldowns, you should get a great back workout.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.