Back to 1823: Geforce 7600GT vs. 7800GS

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VoOdOoVyPeR, Apr 10, 2007.

1. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

I own an HP Pavilion a250n with a P4 2.6GHz (800 MHz FSB) HT processor, 1.5GB RAM, 550W Antec SmartPower2 PSU, among some other unnoted hardware. I currently have an overclocked ATi Radeon 9600SE installed with the GPU at 369 MHz and the memory at 248 MHz. (original 324, 196 respectively) I'm looking to upgrade the video card one last time in this old heap before upgrading to PCI-e. I have limited my selection to two video cards, the Geforce 7600GT and 7800GS and I had a few questions.

First and foremost, will this processor bottleneck? I figured with the HT, that it would be significantly better with bottlenecking as compared to the same specs, but without HT. I'd rather not spend the money on a card that my computer can't handle.

If it can handle it, does anyone have the benchmarks for these two cards? They are rather close in price, my other concern is which is overall better. As of now, I'm favoring this one: Link
    Thanks.

Edit: I ran into a slight confusion on Everest. When looking at my FSB, it gives two read outs, real clock and effective clock. Real clock is 200Mhz and effective is 800MHz. Can someone clear those two terms up for me? Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

if you look up reviews of the AGP cards on the net they should mention their testing specifications. Find one with similar cpu power and compare.

3. Create

Create :free at last:

I'm assuming your max load comes when gaming. IMO, you won't bottleneck at the processor, well, ever. The Pentium D is just a small step up on P4, and a C2D (game limitations) can't devote more than one core towards a game. If you notice, your processor speed is comparable to the C2D's.

For gaming, you should go ahead and max the slot (assuming you have no RAM bottleneck).

I'm not sure what component you're referring to, but it essentially means there are four sets of RAM running on individual 200MHz busses. It's a common for video cards to run an oddball architecture (although multiple-bus is a common practice).

Look here for the benchmarks: http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html
    When comparing cards, make sure the specs of the card model label (like 7600GT) and the specifications withing the parenthesis.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  4. Create

Create :free at last:

5. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

Thanks for the help Create. I've actually dumped this entire idea. Meant to make note of that in this thread, but it didn't seem as though anyone had any intentions of replying. I'm actually just gunna leave this for my parents and build myself a new one. It's a waste putting money into this one. I'm sure I'll be back asking for more help once the construction ensues. Thanks again.

6. momoarrowz

momoarrowz New Member

i still run 2x 7800 GT OC's :hs: they are garbage for games at 1920x1200