Back pain after running??

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by awdboost, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awdboost

awdboost New Member

Hey guys wassup. Well here's the story. Well about 3 weeks ago my friends and I set up a one day group run . Every Sunday morning, we wake up at about 6:30-7, and go to a park that has a two mile track/trail that has ups and downs curves; which make the run even harder. Well today my lower back is sore/tight as hells. I know about 80% thru the run I felt my back getting tighter, but didn't pay any attention until this morning. Anyone why my back will tighten up while running.

Another question I have is why are my legs still sore. I run a stationary bike fro 35 mins and stairmaster for 10 mins 3 days a week. I would think my legs should be usd to the running 2 miles by now. The last three days after the 2 mile run my legs are sore till Tuesday afternoon!!

2. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

get a good pair of running shoes

3. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Just rest and see how you are next week. You might be getting sick, or just having an off day, or bad sleep, etc...

If it happens again this sunday then look into possible influences.

Sometimes that stuff just happens. Last night I went to the gym for a chest workout and felt pretty weak. I did about 40% of what I normally do for chest and just left because I was feeling so weak and crappy. Then I went to play a game of Bball. After one full court game I was dead; sweat dripping down, dizzy, tired, etc.. I normally go 4 or 5 games without a problem.

Today, my chest is sore after doing only 2 exercises.

Sometimes you have a bad couple of day.

4. xela

xela So say we all!

Your lower back could be hurting from improper shoes throwing your body out of alignment. That and the hills could just be putting a lot more stress on your body. Try laying on your back and pulling your knees into your chest and just breathing. It should bring you some relief. It also feels great to rock gently from side to side...you can feel it massaging your lower back around your spine.

5. antiabercrombie

antiabercrombie fuk u lemonardo OT Supporter

I had a similar problem in my chest when I went running outside.

What I figured out is, I would “lock” my upper body when I jogged, and wouldn’t really move my upper body.

I figured it out, because I had the same problem years ago when I played Gameboy hunched over for hours and would lock in a similar position.

6. Ibanez Guy

Ibanez Guy New Member

when I started getting into running (years ago before I gained most of the weight back), my lower back hurt from bad form. Do you stand up as tall as possible? Do not slouch when you run.....it not only hurt my back, it actually is harder.

7. Xaphoeous

Xaphoeous the cat put deez glassiz ons me again

i have that same back problem, but mine got bad enough to see a Doc.

He told me my hamstrings were so tight it was pulling my lower back out of alignment, causing the muscles there to work too hard trying to correct things. Says I need to stretch my hamstrings 8-10 times throughout the day because they are just naturally tight for me. There are several stretches I do for them now, and my back is doing much better.

I also stop once or twice during my run to stretch them out a bit further and this helps to avoid back pain after the run.

8. xela

xela So say we all!

That reminds me too, that, very tight hip flexors can do the same thing. Does the thread starter have a desk job? It's important to stretch them too.

9. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

how do you stretch your hip flexors?

10. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

maine posted a site where they had a breakdown of magnificent mobility dvd... some of those dynamic stretches were for the hips

i remember having lower back pain from high volume deads the prior day of running... just ran through the pain...

11. xela

xela So say we all!

The easiest would probably be a lunge, but it'll have to be deep enough to feel a pull on the back leg.

Other ones are to bend like a lunge, but bring your back leg down to the knee and keep leaning forward. I have pics of me in these poses, but they're at home. I'm pretty bad at explaining things. :o

12. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

thought leaning fwd was more quad and upright was hips

13. xela

xela So say we all!

I found a pic on my work computer...

[​IMG]

This pose is great, but since you're just stretching you don't need to raise the arms. Keep them on the bent knee. The back leg, lower the knee to the floor. I guess a better explanation than leaning would be to go deeper into the lunge instead of leaning forward. You'll feel a big pull in the back hip flexor if you're doing it correctly.

14. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

i shouldn't have but just got turned on

yeah upper body is upright for hips... you're stretching it more since you're leaning back right?

15. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

Yeah. Flex your abs and you'll feel even more stretch.

16. xela

xela So say we all!

At least for me, leaning backwards doesn't help stretch the hip flexors...just stay upright.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.