Back Injuries

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Jackal, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Jackal

Jackal New Member

Ok here's the scoop. Almost one year ago I broke my back, which led to a surgery a few months later to fuse parts of my spine together. Due to this injury I had to sell my motorcycle :wtc: and it's driving me nuts not having one. My question is has anyone here had a pretty bad back injury? If so, did you ride again, was it really uncomfortable? I want to buy another sports bike, but because how you lean forward that might not be the best idea. Any insight would be useful

Cliffs
    -broken back, had to sell old bike
    -want a new bike, but not sure if I'm able to ride again
    -Any other experiences like mine?

2. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

no experiences but wow I wouldn't want to risk it.

3. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

have you talked to a doctor about this? I would see if a friend would let you ride so that you can see how you feel

4. diaper eater

diaper eater OT Supporter

honestly id think a sportbike would be better for your back than anything else. that way you're sitting upright, supporting some of your weight with your arms, with your back flexed for most of the time.

if i were riding any other bike i cant imagine not slouching, which would be HORRIBLE for an already gimp back

ive got a bad back but nothing compared to yorus

5. Jackal

Jackal New Member

I was thinking the same thing. Sport bikes are so much lighter than cruisers and my arms can take a good portion of the weight.

According to my doctor I should be sitting on my ass for the rest of my life looking at a computer screen. I really don't like his opinion that much seeing I'm only 22.

Good idea on finding someone else's bike to ride, now the question is which one of you want to lend me your bike? :x:

6. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

I ride dirtbikes with a guy who has S1 and L5 (I think) fused together. It took him years to get his back comfortable enough to ride painlessly. But he does it, so it can be done.

7. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Ive known a couple of people to start riding again after back surgery. And like the others have said, it was a slow, and somewhat painful journy back into the saddle. ANd you will defiantely have to relearn how to ride, becuase you simply cant put your body into the posisions you used to.

I think a good bike for your own personal comfot would be somthing like a VFR. Slightly forward lean, so your back can stretch, but a comphy enough seat, that your ass will hav some comfort when your back starts to pitch a fit. Because whatever bike you get one, it will definately remind you its not in the same condition it was when god made it.

8. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

correct way to ride a sport bike is to NOT support your weight with your arms

9. diaper eater

well yeah, but with a bad back what better option do you have?

10. Arsenal4rs

Arsenal4rs BEES!!! MUTHERFUCKIN BEES!!!

Im going to show my ignorance as far as how one rides a sport bike here, but I know on my cruiser i ride straight sitting up...everyone ive seen on a sport bike has always had that forward lean, fucking the gas tank type sitting position. Again, showing my ignorance but wouldnt sitting straight up be a better posture then hunched over like that?

11. diaper eater

when i sit back on my sportbike, or sit on a cruiser, its hard to not relax and slouch. when propped up on a sportbike your back extends and arches kinda

12. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

I havent had any bad back injuries, BUT I know a guy whos back was shattered in a bike accident. He wrecked and hit a pole. Had to go through some major back surgries, but as far as I know hes back riding as much as he did before. Took him 18 months to recover which is not long time.