MIL Back in the DEP, yes, I said *back*.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Roshambo, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Roshambo

Roshambo Yes, I'm a Marine. No, I haven't killed anyone.

Yep, got word today the doc OK'd my waiver and I am back in the DEP (USMC)... I guess I'll assume you guys and gals want the long story, so here goes.

Jan 3rd 2005 I shipped down to MCRD-SD after being in the DEP about a month and a half. On a PT run I fell out and couldnt breathe and was coughing up all sorts of good stuff. After some tests it was decided I had asthma, after being threatened with being a fraudulent inlistment and crap I was sent off to routing where I got to meet all the dirtbag recruits before I made my way to RSP, where I met more dirtbags. There were some guys there who were being sent home for actual reasons, but alot were there because they tried killing themselves, claimed they were gay, popped on the inital piss test, etc.

So, I got home in Febuary. About a month later I was a passenger in a car wreck and broke my leg (on the day I was supposed to have graduated boot camp...). In the mean time I was talking to my recruiter who is a bad ass and he informed me that if I could get proof I didnt have asthma there was a chance I could get back in. So, I made the appointment at a place about 150 miles away, took all the tests and came back with a clean bill of health. According to them I probably had an upper respiratory infection/pneumonia.

Then I had to write a letter saying why I wanted to be in the Marine Corps as well as 4 referral letters from people I know. After that I had to do a PFT... which wasn't too bad except I hadnt ran much after breaking my leg. But I did the 3 mile run in plenty of time. Went back to MEPS, met with the Doc there and he "strongly" reccommended me for a waiver. There are other misc things Ive had to do as well, but it's been worth it.

So, I'll be leaving for boot camp again here in a few months and I'm just gonna be a PT monkey until then. :cool:

Cliffs - went to boot camp, got sick, sent home for asthma, broke my leg, got back in the DEP. Yaunderstanthat? :bigthumb:

2. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

congrats.

superb motivation and dedication, you will make a good Marine. good luck bro

3. Roshambo

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

I was pretty tempted to sidekick this friend of my sisters the other day when he called me a pussy for going in the Marines. I was so dumbfounded when I heard it I had to think "did he really say that?"...

4. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Kudos for fighting your way back in!
    And now you are going back in with a little more insight into the whole process than the guys standing next to you have. That always takes the edge off the "intimidation factor". :bigthumb:

5. Roshambo

Yeah, that is true. Man, I just hope I don't end up with any of the same DI's... I'm sure they would remember me and use me to make a great example out of.

I know I would if I were in their boots. :big grin:

6. Roshambo

Hey darkphantom... your user text is funny.

But still... :fawk: you.

7. scottiemac

scottiemac It's time to shoot some hot dogs!

Congratulations on getting back in! Glad you kept at it. Hope your leg gives you no problems and you don't have the respiratory problem again.

8. Roshambo

Whoa, how'd I rate a sticky?

Thanks man. I'm not too worried about my leg, I've been running and hiking and stuff since that PFT and it hasn't bothered me. And I do have a leg up (heh) on all the other recruits in that I already got all the shots, so maybe the recruit crud won't get me. :x:

9. StuDLei

StuDLei Death before Dishonor

FUCKING MOTIVATING. OUTFUCKINGSTANDING. THATS THE FUCKING SHIT IM TALKING ABOUT. i dont know why i typed that shit in caps cuz it aint gonna fuckin show up in caps, but thats the shit.

That gives me a fucking hardon.

Carry the fuck on future devil nutz.

10. Accord

Accord New Member

good job getting back in, this is kind of like all those moto stories you read about guys who lose 300 pounds to join the Marines and stuff like that, it'll be just that much sweeter when you earn the title after all you had to go through prior to bootcamp. Once you become a Marine, you should send your story to Marine Times or Leatherneck Magazine :big grin:.

I'm in DEP now too :bigthumb:

11. Roshambo

Haha... it showed up in caps. :bigthumb:

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Yesterday we had a little DEP "meeting" for all the newbies in the DEP and my recruiter asked me to do a little speech... was pretty crazy, but went well. Of course one idiot asked "how was the cruicible?" After I told everyone I was only on the depot a month. So I told him it was great... they let you sleep all day long and watch cartoons. SSgt almost spit his coffee all over his desk on that one. :mamoru: