Back in the day

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Leb_CRX, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

this is when I was 14 years, me and my friend REALLY wanted to play Duke3d against each other, and for DAYS I tried getting a connection between the two machines with a 9600 baud serial cable...could not get it to work for the life of me, this is before I had heard of a NIC card, this is about 8 years ago I belive...using windows 95 when it was still 3l33t

ahh how we grow up, you ever get flash backs and wonder 'wtf was I thinking'? ...damn that post about the guys exchanging files brought back this memory...I got something in my eye :wtc: *wipes away tear*

:o

2. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I was pretty excited when I finished writing a BASIC app (it was in a magazine) that got the Apple //e to record sound. That had me pretty excited even though the max recording time was about 5 seconds. That was back in '85 or '86.

I think what still has me to this day was back in my senior year physics class. I asked my teacher about getting a computer to read temperature. He showed me the electrical diagram that would be needed and even had the parts at school to build it (it was really very simple). The only problem was I wanted to do this at home but the digital-to-analog/analog-to-digital card was $400 (the card that he had came from the company I now work for). This was in '92-'93. A year later I found a way to do this same project but without the $400 card... :cool:

3. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I look at older code I wrote when I was first learning and ask what the hell I was thinking quite often. :o

4. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

The thing I remember the most is my first computer.

133mhz
    1.3gb HD
    14.4k Modem
    15" Monitor
    96MB RAM

What a beast it was :big grin:!

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Our first was PET computer. This machine was famous for being able to actually damage the machine itself if you "poked" a specific memory location.

6. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

Back in the day, I was excited when I talked a guy at a computer store into giving me a 2400 baud modem for my 12mhz 80286-based Tandy so that I could fool around with BBS's. This was when I was in 8th grade I believe.

Later on, the first program that I ever got paid for was written in Turbo Pascal, and I still can't believe that it actually worked how it was intended :rofl:

7. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Anyone play with packet radio? I had been at a conference and they had a 110bps packet connection from Columbus, OH to Cleveland, OH on an Apple I. It was impressive (considering 9600bps was still pretty fast then).

Last edited: Sep 15, 2003
  8. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

:rofl: This is a great thread..

My first two computers were a joke. First one was a Tandy (similiar to Impreza's) and my other was the first one I made, a blazing 386SX40.. 40 MHz machine with a blazing 14.4 KBPS when they first came out.. and right then and there I was born a BBS'o'holic..

I used the Tandy to write BASIC programs, and had a DOS-based HEX editor, in which I made my own version of 'Solitaire' for Windows 3.1, and even hexed Windows 3.1 to read "Steve's OS v.1"... :rofl: All my friends thought I was the SHIT.. I found a few of those BASIC programs about a year or so ago.. :rofl: What a time trip...

9. lcoursey

lcoursey Active Member

Packard Bell
    24Mhz (I think)
    512kb ram (According the salesman at SAM'S, it was more than you would EVER need)
    80mb HD (doubleSpaced to 120)
    2400baud modem (ran up some SERIOUS LD bills on Adult BBS's)

10. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

The first machine I ever had was an Epson ( I think ) stats were just like the one lcoursey listed.

Prodigy was the first connection we had but I later got a free account at a local BBS which is still around http://www.grnet.com/cyber/

11. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

My family's first computer was a Mac IIx that we got from my dad's old company when it went bankrupt. I remember we had to buy a new video card so we could use a color monitor with it.

First internet connection was 14.4... Then we got 33.6... Then DSL ;)

12. 5Gen_Prelude

Damn I feel old... :wtc:

13. Leb_CRX

my first PC was a 286 I belive, didnt even have windows, use to use some tree viewing program, can't remember the name, and lsl (leisure suit larry - the original) was the best shit available, the version where you had to type everything, cause not everyone had mice

then we upgraded to a 386, and windows 3.1...best shit ever, then we got a 486, and I hooked up a 2400 baud rate modem to browse the BBS's, and I remember seing the text come onto the screen....damn that was old, then upgraded to a 14.4 when they first came out...what a big change...haha

I feel old as well

14. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Great memories..

15. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Yeah... I hear ya

Back then, the Apple //e rocked! Even though it was 1Mhz. Even the 8088 was pretty cool back then.

16. 5Gen_Prelude

The 6510 is where it was at though. Consider just how long that platform lasted. In an age where the generations of Pentiums last maybe 2 years, this lasted a good 8 years before finally being trumped. :bowdown:

17. NolanTA

NolanTA You talkin' to me? OT Supporter

Dude, for Duke you needed a null modem cable - it was like a serial cable, but with different pinouts... I spent 2 weeks making my first one because I couldn't buy one.

18. Leb_CRX

anyone have duke? maybe we can get a old sk00l game going, it'd be chill...haha

'come get some'...look at some stripper art, w00t

19. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

Oh damn.. DoubleSpace I remember that.. That was suppose to be the bomb smack program too..

20. bandit320

bandit320 Guest

I have Duke3d, it is shareware, i got it for free with some other games.
    such a great game. I used to get a lan party together at my house with like 8 computers and we would play for hours. Such good times

21. Leb_CRX

that game was the shits, I even remember all the secrets, such a fun game, too bad 3d realms bombed after that title, they just couldn't keep up with the ID crew

22. MP

MP New Member

I'm not really that OG enough as far as the internet goes. :<

I remember using apple II's and playing oregon trail :hs:

23. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Hahaha, me too! And number munchers, and that pizza delivery game :big grin:

24. MP

MP New Member

number munchers was a fun game!!!

25. zero xeal

zero xeal Guest

my first computer i ever had is sitting next to me right now, running freebsd, its a 586,(heh i dont feel old),
    but i still remember the day when i would sit at it for hours playing doom, editing config files, and save files, having to reinstall it countless times,
    im sadly to young for the dial in bbs days :(