Bachelor of Arts: applied technology?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Homan, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Homan

Homan Unconquerable OT Supporter

I got this flyer at my CC, there is a transfer program for this degree, I was wondering if any of you heard anything about this?

My main question is how does this stack up against the Computer Sci degree, if a employer were to choose 2 equal people one with a Comp Sci and the other with this(both 4 year degrees), which will they choose?

2. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Depends on the line of work. You have a link to any info about this "applied technology" degree?

To me, without even looking it up, it sounds like a degree on how to apply technology. Which could be as simple as picking the right hardware for the right job. Computer science gets more in depth with computing - you will get down in it with programming languages as well as software design and development. Computer science doesn't usually get into the hardware except maybe to dabble in how the CPU works (assembler). I would consider computer science the Swiss Army knife of computer degrees. With computer science, you could probably land most computer jobs without much problem assuming you have added the necessary skills to the computer science skill set. Although today the job market is tight so employers get to be picky...

Applied Technology sounds more hardware related with a focus on maybe management.

I'd do 2 things:

1. Check out the jobs YOU want in you local paper. What degrees are they asking for?
    2. The classes required for applied tech. classes you want to take? Do they get you excited? If yes, then go for it. If no, then select a different degree.