B5 S4 for a second car - good idea or run?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Brigante, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Brigante

Brigante i'm a lurker without an avatar, deal with it

i drive an 04 accord coupe V6 for my daily driver. but i'm looking for a second car. i like the quattro as i do make regular trips to tahoe during the season. the extra space would help as well. and the prices i've seen these going for fit my budget.

i've heard a lot about the maintenance/reliability concerns of this particular car. but i'm thinking since it won't be daily driven, that issue will be minimized. i've owned a B6 A4 fronttrak before and wasn't a very thrilling car to drive but it was a solid car and goodlooking.

should i consider or run like hell?

2. E-dub

E-dub New Member

When I was younger my roommate had an '01 Pearl white, black leather 6 speed S4, beautiful car. But maintenance = no way in hell.

3. Schecky

Schecky New Member

a lot of the issues regarding maintanence and issues with the turbos are WAY WAY overblown. i know someone whos had his stolen and joyridden for a week, he drives everywhere at 5k RPM and beats the SHIT out of his, and it has no mechanical problems

4. E-dub

E-dub New Member

That's funny, my roommate's was babied and they blew at 110k. It was under extended warranty so the $5k service was covered but maaaaaan that would have sucked if it had not been covered. Pulling the motor for turbo replacement is costly.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The turbo/engine issues are overblown, but the front suspension is trash. Very precise trash, but trash nonetheless. The ball joints on the upper control arms are way too small for the load they carry, and the bushings aren't too great either -- I just had mine done a couple of months ago, I couldn't tell they were shot, but two of the inner bushings were cracked in half.

I'm glad the shop noticed it.

6. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

haha you told me about B5 front suspension. does extend to the Audis?

7. asiantime

asiantime Active Member

Front suspension is trash? Are you still on stock suspension after 100k miles or something? I've had two of these cars and can attest to their amazing handling. Maintenance is not too big of an issue if you take care of it properly.

8. deusexaethera

You can't take care of the front control arms properly, that's the whole fucking problem. They simply aren't strong enough. You can buy CPP adjustable control arms and re-grease them after every time it rains, I suppose, or you can try Febi/Bilstein vs. Meyle vs. Moog, but the hub carrier wasn't designed to leave enough room for ball joints that are actually big enough to carry the weight of the car indefinitely, so you'll never find control arms that fit the car and won't wear out.

Yes, Art, the front suspension on the Passat is the same as on the A4, and I think it might be the same as on the A6 as well. (The Passat is kind of like a cheap A5, if there were an A5 to start with.)

All you can do is keep on top of them and have them changed every couple of years. Other than the wear issue, the front suspension is great; I got mine up to 140mph the other day and it felt like it was welded to the road.

9. .:AJ:.

.:AJ:. New Member

but in order to get one he will have to buy it from someone else who probably treated it like shit. so its more important to find one that has complete maintence records and an owner who seems like a responsible person.

having owned a 99.5 1.8T (bought it with 46K), I would say stay FAR AWAY. My car was nothing but problems, I couldnt go 6 months without a sensor failing or a warning light coming on. Owners on audizine routinely complain about its un-reliability. Although my friend just bought a B5 S4 w/ 66K and he seems happy with it, and it is a nice car no doubt, but I would never buy one.

10. Schecky

Schecky New Member

audizine isn't really the greatest forum to frequent, i'd rather spend time on the vortex or audiforums. audizine is mostly old people asking what bbs wheels look good on their b4 a4 or s4.

11. deusexaethera

Old people know more about stuff than young people, though. If you're just looking for a 24/7 e-dick-measuring-contest, then the Whoretex is perfect. If you want answers to problems, you need to go to forums with old people in them.