B18 in a Prelude...?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Sportec17, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Sportec17

Sportec17 New Member

I'm probably going to buy a prelude within the next few weeks...already found a nice black '95 with decent miles. I know the H23 is good motor with lots of low end power to it but if something were to happen to it or i find a high mileage lude somewhere i had this question...

Have any of your ever heard of a B18B swap into a lude before? The idea of having a better balanced and lighter prelude with turbocharged B18 sounds very enticing. I'm sure the swap intself would be easy enough, also with plenty of room to spare. I'm pretty sure that you cannot mate a H series tranny to a B series motor and don't know how a LS tranny would fit. What do you guys think? -John

2. Dr.EtNiEs

Dr.EtNiEs Guest

ive never herd of doing that i think thats stupid why not a h22 and turbo that. my car came with a b18b i think its a shit swap, ur car is heavy dont even bother plus its cable right not hydro? and it wont fit direct in the side mount will be off

3. Mugendude

Mugendude Guest

Why?

I guarantee you'd miss the torque after you did the swap. Custom fabrication would have to be involved, anyways. I'd just keep the h-series, dude. Find some other ways to get rid of some weight.

4. Kyoso

Kyoso New Member

The H23 is a great motor for low boost. A B series swap is possible, but the $ involved and the overall outcome would leave you quite disappointed I'm sure. For the money you could rework the H23 and have a nice reliable turbo kit and still come under the cost of swapping in a b series (plus have a good amount more power and torque). The older preludes (up to '91) actually had a B series variant in the 2.0Si and the Si (2.1 liter), but those motors were not very mod friendly. Do what you want, with money anything can be done, but IMO it would be a waste.

5. psyphre

psyphre User #58, OG ftw. XBL/IG - davzilla77

ludes aren't heavy because of the motor. the h's only weigh like 60lbs more than the b's. the car would be a dog with a b series.

6. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

Possibly because the H23 is a better boost motor.

7. 900stunna

900stunna Guest

So wait let me get this straight, you are such a dumbass that you would rather buy a shitbox Honda and waste even more money putting another motor in it, news flash, it's still going to be a slow piece of shit. Take your money and buy a LS1.

8. psyphre

:werd:

who needs VTEC when you're boosting.

9. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

Just /yourself.

10. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

11. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

Fo Real!

Anyways, you couldn't get the B18 to fit in there, you would NOT be pleased w/ the difference in power, the B-series and H-series motors and trannies do NOT bolt up together, and the weight difference is negligable.

Just stick w/ the motor that's in there.

12. Sportec17

Sportec17 New Member

I was thinking of a B18 only if i blew the H23 or found a cheap high mileage prelude. My reasons were i can get a B18B extremely cheap and 60 lbs is a decent amount to lose if you planning on building a serious auto cross/track car. Obvious though it sounds just as cheap to find another H series.

13. psyphre

NO B SERIES INTO PRELUDE!

Just Drop It, PLEASE.

Go to www.honda-tech.com and search for a b series into a lude swap. you won't find it. if you ask in the forums you will be laughed at.

Are you planing to turn this lude into a serious auto cross/track car? Then ask around and see what setups people are running.

Just because you can get a cheap motor doesn't mean it's cheaper to install. you'll spend more than the difference on the install. You need to custom all the motor mounts and drive shafts. The lude uses cable shift, the tegs don't, how do you switch that? Then there's the wiring, i know a guy that could do it blindfolded but he'd smack you once you explained what you needed.

Put simply it would probly be cheaper to rebuild the h23 and make a junkyard turbo setup than swap in a b series.