b16 questions

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by olddohc, Mar 28, 2003.

1. olddohc

olddohc Guest

two things....
    1) if i have a tan colored oil substance on the inside of my radiator cap does that mean it is oil leaking through the head gasket and into the coolant
    2) If so does anyone know how to change a head gasket cuz i have no clue

2. KENLUDE97

KENLUDE97 New Member

Well typically the "Tan" substance is not oil. It is usually rusty antifreeze. The previous owner never changed the antifreeze, You will want to "Back Flush" the whole system. And after that is all clean refill and replace the Thermostat.

Changing the head gasket is not for someone to do that does not work on cars often. It is a Intense job in which you will need to tear 1/2 the motor apart.
    I doubt that the head gasket is bad on a Honda.... Dodge different story!!

If you own a honda get the HELMS repair manual. Go to your dealer and buy it. It will be your new best friend if you plan on working on a Honda. That is the same book that the Honda Tech's use.

Good luck.

Ps yes i know how to change a head gasket.

3. olddohc

olddohc Guest

thanks, but I actually change my coolant with every third oil change and have for the past 2 years

4. ChickenH

ChickenH Enita non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.

if its a milky like gooy stuff it could be oil in your coolant. they are pretty hard to change the head gasket on a B series ive done several and woulden't reccomend to anyone that doesent have advanced skill and tools. do it wrong shove valves thru your pistons.
    They make test kits to see at most autoparts stores Lisle makes one Mr gasket makes one and someone makes test strips also..

5. Josh717

Josh717 Guest

If it is a tan substance that is seperating from the water then yes, it is oil. This means one of 3 things, you have a blown head gasket with oil getting past your valve guides, you have a cracked coolant jacket somewhere, or someone poured oil in your radiator.

The head gasket isnt as bad as these guys are making it out to be, basically you need to drain coolant, pull intake and exhaust manifolds.Take off valve cover, take timing belt off cam gears, in the #1 cyl tdc positon. Undo any sensors on head, vtec oil pressure+solenoid, ect and one other, unbolt the head from the block, this can be done with dist in tact, but you must dissconnect the ignition wires, and pull the head gasket. Now put it all back together.

6. ChickenH

ChickenH Enita non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.

The dual overhead cam motor you have to pull the cams off to even access the head bolts they are down holes located under where the cam bearings would normally be. wich means everypart of the head is disasembled except the valves.
    the soch honda is easy i can do them in an hour and a half. :)

pics of said gooy brown liquid?