A&P B+W CPL users

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by GlobeGuy, May 12, 2009.

1. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

This thing lacks the indicator telling the user what rotation gives the maximum polarizing...no dots or lines. Is one of the letters on the writing around the ring suppose to indicate this?

2. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

You just spin it until you get what you want...:dunno:

3. sony

sony Active Member

it depends where the sun is bro that's why it spins forever

4. ThexToddster

ThexToddster New Member

If you need dots or lines to spin the filter where you need it... :rofl:

5. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

The effect is depend on the relative position of the shooter to the Sun. But the maximum polarizing position of the CPL will not change.

6. sony

sony Active Member

how about these reason then????

1) depending on how tightly you screw on the polarizer the "maximum polarizing position" will be different since the back screwing portion is independent from the glass portion -- also different depending on angle you hold camera
    2) the polarizer is just two metal rings with the top portion able to spin; the top portion holds the glass which is just retained by a small ring -- to have a "point" that matched on the back ring the back ring would always have to be facing the same direction and the pieces of glass would all have to be dropped into the front ring in the same position.. this seems logistically impossible??
    3) it takes like a fraction of a second to figure out by spinning the polarizer 360 degrees

7. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

This is true sometimes, the effect of CPL is very apparent given the right condition. But I do come across conditions where it's hard to tell just how effective the CPL is through the viewfinder (and my tunnel like VF of D50 doesn't help either), even checking the picture in the LCD screen it was hard to tell the difference. It was only when I downloaded images and viewed on the computer screen that I was able to clearly see the difference between the pictures that had different rotation of CPL.

All it would take is having indications on the bottom and top ring of the CPL. :o

8. sony

sony Active Member

easier said than done.. this would mean the manufacturer would have to calibrate them all, adding to the cost and if they ever got shifted you'd have to pull the piece of glass out and align it with the markings and always screw your filter on so the indicators were up and down

this all seems like it isn't worth the trouble bro and i'm certainly not willing to pay for the extra labor required to make it happen

9. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

people make photography harder than it has to be. if you can't tell what the hell is going on in your viewfinder, i'd say YOU'RE broken, not your filter.