SRS Aww...Time to Move

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by macistaniMac, Feb 28, 2007.

1. macistaniMac

macistaniMac New Member

So, I'm moving to a new city with less than $1000 and no job. I'm never going to be able to network and find a job while I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere, so I'm packing up the truck and heading out next week.

Teh Plan: Get a temp job 3 days a week, job hunt the other four. Deliver pizza at the nights until a "grown up job" can be found.

Wish me luck! (Advice and comments on stupidity also accepted)

2. ihaveanevilplan

ihaveanevilplan Everybody wake up, wake up, it's time to get down Moderator

What city are you moving to? The reason I ask is because in most cities, $1000 would not last you as long as you'd think. Most apartments require some sort of security deposit equal to one month's rent...if you're splitting rent with someone and paying even $350, along with the security deposit, 3/4 of your savings are already gone...

Plus temp agencies/retail/service jobs sometimes take a couple weeks turnaround just to get back to you, and after the interview and training, before you know it 3 weeks have gone by and it's almost time to pay the rent again!

I hope that helps a little bit as to what to expect...

I wish you the best of luck!

3. macistaniMac

macistaniMac New Member

Well, Rent + Utilities in the place I found is $600 a month and I can eat on about $10 a week. If things get bad, I can work construction instead of temp work initially.

PS: Nashville, TN

4. THoC

THoC New Member

you've got more balls then i do. no way would i be able to move somewhere w/ no solid job waiting for me and a grand to live on.

i wish you the best!

5. julia!

julia! New Member

sometimes you have to just let go of everything else and go for it. I think it will all work out once you get your feet planted and it sounds like you have a valid plan which is the most you can do right now. good luck.

6. pixing

pixing New Member

It depends evilplan, some places will hire you on the spot if you've got a pulse and show at least a modicum of intelligence and decorum. The trouble is that you may not get paid for several weeks. Getting a job where you can earn some tips right away is a good idea.

macanistani - good luck, it sounds like you are willing to do what it takes, that puts you ahead of a lot of people.

7. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

Props to you! I have (had) an opportunity to do that come May [except with a job that doesn't pay much in the first year], but I'm a little too scared to move out of my comfort zone of living with little to no worries to moving somewhere that I may be scraping my pennies.

8. macistaniMac

macistaniMac New Member

I'm terrified, but everything worth doing is a little scary, right?

9. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

True, but if you're motivated enough and hard working, starting over is an adventure. Just make sure you realize that it's going to be rough for awhile, but look hard for a job, and you'll be golden. :wavey:

10. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Sleep in the truck if you can to save money,and make sure no one finds out your doing that. Only live on cheap food like rice, or fast food just for the time being. Apply to the local job agency, let them find a job for you, look thru advertations in news papers. Try to make as much personal contact as you can, to employers. Try to get a low basic income job, as you probably need to start low on the ladder and progress from there.

http://www.net-temps.com/regional/NashvilleTennesseeJobs/
    http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/jobs--Nashville-TN
    http://www.jobs.net/Tennessee-Nashville.htm

Not saying you should rely on internet adds, but its a start.

11. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

How? I can't even do that at the Wendy's dollar menu.

12. macistaniMac

macistaniMac New Member

Oatmeal + turkey sausage + heads of lettuce.

Lots of Oatmeal, its cheap and filling.
    Turkey Sausage - Cheap and gets you needed protein
    Lettuce - cheap source of veggie-type nutrients

13. RedDawg

RedDawg Well-Known Member

you're better off buying a bottle of vitamins than depending on lettuce for "veggie nutrients"

14. macistaniMac

macistaniMac New Member

Lettuce is actually a cheap source of photonutrients (not the best source, but the cheapest. Nutrients != calories). I do take a multi-vitamin too and eat a piece of fruit every couple of days. Its what I lived on for 2 years of college and I was pretty healthy.

15. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

Congrads on your new adventure!! I did the same thing over a year and a half ago when I moved to DC. I had $1000 and no job lined up but part of the fun really was figuring it all out. I'm still here and I love it. I"m glad I took that leap- I hope your experience turns out well too.

Good Luck!!:x:

16. FurryFriend

FurryFriend New Member

I moved impulsely to a new city 1.5 years ago. The first 4 months were harrowing finding a decent job, seeing my savings get burned away and being alone without family or friends. I went through some truly soul-searching moments that changed my life.

Turns out, it's the best thing I've ever done!! :bigthumb: I wound up finding almost a dream job and gained lots of interesting new experiences. I was so bored of my old life, I would have considered suicide if I didn't move.

Don't worry about finding a job. Unless you're a retard or felon, you'll have no trouble finding a quick basic job for the essentials, especially in this economy. However, $1,000 may not be enough to get an apartment. Maybe you should save up first. I moved with $12,000 in savings.

Temp agencies are great resources to find a quick job. And most employers who seek temps are really looking to test candidates for full-time employment. The place where I temped offered the job for me...but I declined it.

If you're young and single, everybody should try it. Why anyone would want to be stuck in their little corner of the Earth is beyond me.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  17. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

:werd: As long as you at least have a credit card as a backup in case it takes a couple weeks to get work then you should be fine.

18. Lucky Penny

:werd: By far the scariest and best decision I've ever made. Wouldn't have found myself otherwise. I'd do it all over again. :bowdown:

19. macistaniMac

macistaniMac New Member

Update
    ---------
    I have a place to stay all setup, the truck is packed. I move Tuesday night. I have 2 interviews setup for Wed (one in the morning, one in the late afternoon). I still have a couple hundred bucks and full tank of gas. :nervous:

20. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

:cool: Sounds like you're doing good :bigthumb:

21. Lucky Penny

Wooo!! That's TONIGHT!!! GOOD LUCK BABY!! :x:

22. macistaniMac

macistaniMac New Member

Woo! I got super lucky. A job I interviewed for over a month ago called and asked if I was still interested. I said I was and they said "When can you start?"

I start in 10 days (paperwork :ugh: )

Wooo!