Awesome Deal... should I do it?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DaIceMan, Nov 12, 2005.

1. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

Went to Circuit City today, looking for speakers for my old Kenwood receiver since my 18 year old Advents finally gave up a while back. I've always liked the sound of Polk speakers and found a set of M20s for $100 each on sale. They aren't the best, but with the deal I found, I can't afford much more right now.

Anyway... on with the deal. While I was looking around (mostly waiting for a drone to grin/nod to my questions) I drop in the "high end" sound room. I notice a Sony STR-DE897s (silver) reciever sitting there. Ending in 7, I knew it was an old model... new model is an 898, but the price said $199. I know the 898 retails for $400. Upon further review, I see that it is indeed an older model, open box, last one left deal. Open box still carries full manufacturer warranty, and the City Advantage plan ($50/5 years) would cover anything else.

My question... would you buy it? Even with the extra plan, I'm saving $150 over the current model, and the 897 is rated at 110w x 7, instead of 100 x 7 for the 898. I know 10 watts doesn't make the much difference, but still, it's more.

sorry for the rambling-ly long post, and thanks in advance for any opinions.

2. Tills

Tills Lets Go Flyers

What is the current receiver that you own?

3. DaIceMan

I have a Kenwood that is about 15-18 years old as well. KRV6030 only has 2 video inputs, and I have DVR, DVD, XBox and Laser Disc player to hook up.

4. patina

patina OT Supporter

Any car audio at CC is going to be overpriced. Why not just ebay? Another really goo place to buy online is www.sonicelectronix.com

5. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I would do it, if you really like the sound of Sony.

6. DaIceMan

well, I went back in this morning. Looked around and the same drone I spoke with yesterday was there, and a manager that I've spent a LOT of money with (washer, dryer, fridge, dishwasher, digital camera) was working. I told the drone to ask the manager if he would take off an extra 10% and he said that it was standard to do that on a receiver/speaker package.

I got:

Sony STR-DE897/s Receiver, $400 originally
    Polk Audio M20 mains for now $130 retail x2
    and a 3 year warranty on the receiver, $15

$398.xx out the door. Thanks to a bunch of overtime recently at work, I won't even be relegated to bologna sandwiches for a few weeks. :)

7. Tills

Tills Lets Go Flyers

cool :)