MMA Awesome article on the "UFC Mixed Marshal Arts" on CBS

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Optamix, May 1, 2008.

1. Optamix

Optamix New Member

WTF mate?!@

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/fcf73cc6-17...e-about-cbs-airing-ufc-775517/&nclick_check=1

:wtf:

2. Optamix

Optamix New Member

:love:

3. furst

furst THE BOWRD OT Supporter

haters

4. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

Wait, are they just retarded and think UFC = MMA or will the UFC really be on CBS soon?? I assume theyre just bein dumb but your guys' responses are confusing me lol.

5. Etherized

Etherized Active Member

It's just a retarded journalist, Khaaz.

CBS chairman critical of EliteXC deal

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on May 01, 2008 at 4:25 pm ET
    [​IMG]

CBS Chairman Sumner Redstone doesn't support his network's decision to air mixed martial arts, largely because he doesn't "like the sport" and thinks that it's not "socially responsible" for CBS to air the fights on free TV.

Sumner's comments, which appeared Wednesday in The Hollywood Reporter, have caused a stir in MMA circles.

The harsh critique comes just four weeks before CBS and EliteXC team up for "EliteXC: PRIMETIME," the first installment of the "Saturday Night Fights" series. The debut May 31 event -- the first of four that will air over the next 12 months -- will be the first-ever live MMA event to appear on major U.S. network television.

The decision to air MMA on CBS ultimately was made by CBS President and Chief Executive Officer Les Moonves. He didn't consult with Sumner before reaching the deal with EliteXC, which was announced in early March.

"Les usually asks my opinion," Sumner said. "Most of the time, he does the right thing."

Sumner made the comments during a panel discussion on the sports industry at the Milken Institute Global Conference in Los Angeles.

Another interesting bit coming out of the panel was a comment from Ed Goren, President of FOX Sports. When asked about a potential deal with the UFC, he said, "We don't need money that badly."

However, according to MMA Payout, the UFC continues to negotiate with FOX's entertainment division (rather than the sports division, which assures the UFC would retain most of the creative control) and could soon reach a deal to put the No. 1 MMA brand on FOX prime time.

6. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I agree with him. It shouldn't be on free over-the-air channels.

7. LocTite98

LocTite98 Chillin'

Does anybody know how to spell "Martial". Hahahah Marshal

8. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

I dunno. This is some art by a guy named Marshal and it's pretty good.

[​IMG]

9. wow, it's not like the FT is some podunk no-name publication either. they're one of the biggest financial newspapers out there, rivaling the journal.

10. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

Oh noes an ignorant old fuck with money is upset. Just when my day was going well :wtc:

11. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

ufc and fox eyyy

12. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

Especially since they are promoting someone that is a star because of street fights not what he has done in the cage.

13. Diabolist

Diabolist New Member

ill be the first to admit.. NOT a kimbo fan.. on ANY level.. and yes he has still yet to figth anyone whos worth noting (imo).. but ill give him credit.. he IS getting it done in the cage.. it will be interesting to see how long that lasts as the level of fighters he faces increases... im not even saying you are knocking him.. just saying..

14. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

I for 1 am against him fighting someone with a record. The guy is 2-0 just because he is all hyped up doesn't mean he should be taking on the champ. Look at penis sword.

15. Diabolist

Diabolist New Member

i totally agree.. thats why i said AS the level of the fighters increase.. i mean he obviously can hit.. i along with many are just anxious to see what happens when he really meets someone worth talking about..