AWD vs RWD... why one or the other?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by trouphaz, Oct 27, 2003.

1. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

What are the real benefits of one over the other? I drive a WRX... since getting that, I can't imagine driving a car with any sort of power with RWD just for traction issues. I remember reading an article about the Audi race car that I think was based on the RS4 or something. It would beat a bunch of other cars with much more powerful engines just because it could just take off on launch instead of having to worry about losing traction and it could start putting power earlier in the turns, again for traction issues. Basically, they were able to compensate for less power with the Quattro.

and please, keep the lame-ass, one word posts to a minimum.

2. J_75

J_75 New Member

With a RWD car, its a LOT of fun to kick the tail out. Traction is essential for speed, but sometimes just going fast isn't the most fun thing to do. Ever go to a big parking lot and do donuts in your car?.....zero traction = lots of fun.

also, its a lot less complicated, better for drag racing (assuming equal HP, there is higher efficiency in a RWD tranny), and usualy a RWD tranny is much lighter than an AWD one.

there's lots more reasons, those are just a few

3. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

yeah, i guess i'm pretty limited to doing donuts in the snow and drifting is so much easier with a light rain.

4. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

:werd:

5. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

but, off the line, doesn't AWD give you a better launch? doesn't that make up for the lack of efficiency and weight? if you had two identical cars, but one was AWD and the other RWD, both high horsepower... wouldn't the AWD be able to put down all power right off the bat while the RWD would require a little more skill? hmm... maybe AWD is just better if you don't have the skill... hehe... like me.

this is just theoretical because most cars that come with AWD as an option seem to be AWD or FWD (the old Eagle Talon, the Audi A4).

6. CussCuss

CussCuss New Member

they both have their ups and downs.
    most AWDs will incur a greater loss of power thru the drivetrain and will weigh more (usually just under 200kg).
    as J-75 said in hard core drag racing its better to use rwd because traction is not an issue if your running massive slicks, and making a rwd drivetrain that can handle 2000hp is a allot easyer.

The best in a street situation would be an ATESSA (Nissan Skyline) style AWD system as it works by putting 100% rwd until the wheels break traction and then it will put it to as much as 50/50, this means it can function as an awd as neccesary but without the inherant understeer or dirvetrain loss when you dont need the awd.

7. psalm

psalm Thanks niquesuave06 for the AV

RWD = More fun
    AWD = Better traction but more weight. Definitely better for any sort of adverse weather situation.

8. iwishiwascool

iwishiwascool Lurker

AWD = 1.68 60' track or street
    RWD = 1.8 60' track, 2.5 60' and a pile of minced rubber street

9. dimo

dimo New Member

Yeah got that in my GTR.

10. awd: transmission steals power, good launch and traction , but at the drag strip the awd becomes dead weight to bog u down after ur quick launch. But awesome for snow.

rwd: less power loss, harder to launch, but is the ideal setup for a drag car. along w/ less wiegght compared to awd. not for snow.

basically they are two things great at different things. and better than fwd...

11. Chaosen1

Chaosen1 Now this is an import model

how much mroe does AWD weigh compared to rwd?

12. psalm

psalm Thanks niquesuave06 for the AV

Already mentioned in this thread, but approx 200kg more.

13. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

Perfect!

Yep, AWD naturally incurs SOME understeer...not as much as a F/F car, but it does. The F/R and R/R cars are better for corners b/c it is easier to get the car to rotate.

For a street-drag car, AWD is great to a point, but then there's the time when you can fit bigger slicks and thicker driveshafts and rear ends under them to make the RWD's faster.

14. The GTR AWD system makes it a great street weapon. But when it comes down to a pure race car setup for the track, you can't beat RWD.

I have a GTR, I am now building a 3L GTR engine and it's going to be RWD. Less things to break etc. :)

15. episime

episime OT Supporter

can drift with RWD's.

16. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

You can drift w/ AWD's too.....and why drift? Drifting is slow

17. AWD drifts are great :)

Drifiting is fun, maybe slow, but it's fun.