awd dsm

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by CYTOCYLER, Mar 28, 2004.

1. CYTOCYLER

CYTOCYLER Guest

1) How hard is it to get an awd dsm into the 12's or realtively fast? ive heard its pretty easy and doesnt cost much
    2)How much would one expect to pay for an awd dsm? 1G/2G
    3)Finally, what makes dsm's so historically unreliable? I know that 2G's are infamous for crankwalk, but what gives dsm's this reputation?

tia
    -jack

2. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

1. Not that hard. Just need the right parts. Doesn't really cost that much to me, but how do you define "doesn't cost much"?

2. Depends on condition. $2000-$10,000 maybe, depending upon if its had aftermarket upgrades.

3. See #1 above. You need the right parts that are of high quality. People love to badmouth DSMs and also rotarys simply because people don't know that much about them, hear some rumors, and then repeat them off as fact. A well built DSM will be fast and reliable...for awhile, just like all modded cars eventually break.

A good place to visit would be some DSM dedicated sites with people who know all about DSMs, all the good points and the bad ones too. Also, they could tell you about quality parts suppliers so you won't suffer crankwalk.

3. CYTOCYLER

CYTOCYLER Guest

ty very much, im still just in a sort of planning phase and was curious about them, thanks for all of your help

4. Nimble

Nimble OT Supporter

DSMs cannont be made fast. They're turds

5. Madrox

Madrox Guest

Couple of people with 700 HP 3000GT's would disagree with you.

Check out www.3si.org.

6. Wizard of Poz

Wizard of Poz New Member

3000GTs Stealth can be debated if they are DSM.

7. Mr Roboto

Mr Roboto Flat Black Member

There's no debate, they are definately not DSM's.

8. TEC

TEC Guest

Anyone that says a DSM cannot be fast is an idiot. 12's for less than $1k in parts is easy.

Recipe:
    90-93 AWD
    HD manual boost controller
    3" downpipe w/no cat or rear exhaust
    S-AFC
    2g exhaust manifold
    2g MAS/K&N filter
    Good driver

9. TEC

TEC Guest

3000gts/Stealth's are considered DSM's. Mitusbishi and Dodge/Plymouth partnership produced those cars, just like the Eclipse, Talon, Lasers.

10. Just read Ultimate Street Car in Sport Compact. Read what the DSM owners did to get their cars reliably fast. I know in this most recent USC they had a guy with a second gen Eclipse dynoed around 600 hp. Or is that just what he claimed? Can't remember.

11. tsi90

tsi90 _____

$1k? why not go even cheaper.

90-93 AWD
    manual boost controler ($50)
    modded ecu/ no fuel cut ($75)
    DIY water/alky injection ($175)
    total= $300
    turn the boost up to 18-20 and get get ready for 12's

www.dsmtimes.org 350 awd dsm's in 12's or better. many in the 12's still have stock turbo

12. Mr Roboto

Mr Roboto Flat Black Member

Even though Chrysler owns a controlling share of Mitsubishi, the 3/S wasn't produced by the diamond star motors collaboration, so it's not a DSM. Both cars were made entirely by mitsubishi in Japan, not in the DSM plant in Illinois.

From the DSM FAQ: DSM - Diamond Star Motors A joint effort by Mitsubishi (three diamonds) and the Chrysler Corporation (penta-star) to build some of the most incredible automobiles in the world. The (following) vehicles were produced, the Eagle Talon, Mitsubishi Eclipse, and Plymouth Laser. DSM cars (were all) assembled in Normal, Illinois.

Lots of chrysler cars share mitsubishi drivetrains and parts. Sebrings, Avengers, Chrysler minivans, etc. all have variations of mitsubishi engines and drivetrains, doesn't make them DSM's.

13. HybriDSM

HybriDSM Active Member

Theres the cheap way to 12's, and the "i want my car to run longer than a week" way to 12's.

It can be done the ways previously described, but thats pushing every last little bit out of that stock 14b.

My suggestion, if 12's is your ultimate goal.

TD05H-16G (big) turbo
    2G Manifold
    boost controller
    3" turbo back
    Walbro 255Lph fuel pump
    550cc injectors
    SAFC
    ARP head studs
    boost controller
    Boost gauge
    supra sidemount intercooler
    EGT
    ACT 2600 clutch.

and ultimately, no matter what, you're gonna have to get your tranny rebuilt. Going rate for a good performance rebuild is $1K

however, if you do all this, your car will be a solid daily driver, and will be able to tear up the streets.

Note: You would want a 1G with a 6-bolt. Lower compression, huge rods, no crankwalk. These came in the 90-91 and some of the early 92's. However, the 92-94 DSM's had a much better 4 bolt rearend and bigger brakes. For the best of both worlds, combine the two . Im running a 91 motor in my 93.

:big grin:

14. CYTOCYLER

CYTOCYLER Guest

the only problem i see with the 1g is they look like ass to me, i love the way the 2g look, although crankwalk is a huge issue and something i dont feel like fucking with, i guess its a trade off, reliability for looks

15. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

There need be NO tradeoff! Listen, you have been told how to get reliable power and who to talk to. Use quality parts and you'll discover that crankwalk is just as much a rumor as shaking hands makes you pregnant. :slap:

16. Wizard of Poz

Wizard of Poz New Member

Any good dsm boards out there? I myself am a 3000GT guy, but I wouldnt mind an older car to beat the shit out of and to tear up the streets.

17. HybriDSM

HybriDSM Active Member

www.dsmtalk.com

www.dsmtuners.com

www.westpadsm.com <-- My board

18. HybriDSM

HybriDSM Active Member

I dunno if I'd go that far. The 6-bolts have been proven to be MUCH stronger than 7 bolts. I can name at least 5 second gens in the Pittsburgh area that have 6-bolt swaps in them.

19. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

I would....meaning that IF you use quality parts installed by a qualified tech, then the chances for catastrophic failure go down. Of course, nothing is foolproof and when you tune an engine things eventually break. But, the DSMs that I am aware of that had crankwalk were all stock internals, not engines full of aftermarket goodies. As an aside, I just find crankwalk complaints an interesting idea because I have not seen a single EVO here (I-VII) break down due to crankwalk. Its usually been the boost up too high. So, I don't see what DSMs back in the US suffer from this "too much" as people claim.

Anyway, sites have been posted for more expert information. I know Hondas get all the attention in the US but I really don't see why AWD DSMs fon't get more coverage and a following. They are questionably better.

20. HybriDSM

HybriDSM Active Member

Yeah, but if we are talking about getting a car reliably into the 12's, then the 6-bolt is unquestionably the better platform to start with. We arent talking about built engines here, there is no need to touch the internals to go 12's. Theres no reason to touch the internals to go 11's and maybe even 10's. With a set of ARP head studs a 6-bolt can hold 25psi all day long, with no fear of crankwalk. Crankwalk in built 7-bolts is much rarer than a stock 7-bolt but it still happens. So you run the risk of sinking a crapload of money into building an engine, just to have it get crankwalk. Its quite common now to see 6-bolt swaps into 7-bolt cars. The 6-bolt 4G63 is arguably the stoutest 4cyl in mainstream production, capable of supporting 500+hp on stock internals. You'll have to search long and hard to find a 500hp 7-bolt on stock internals.

21. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

EVOs aren't DSMs.

22. tsi90

tsi90 _____

what engine is in the EVO?

they both have the same engine in them but you never hear about an EVO with crankwalk.

23. Wizard of Poz

Wizard of Poz New Member

Wait. so whats the best year DSM to get?

24. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

HybriDSM, I have never heard that you need not ever touch the internals to get reliable consistent 12s. But then again, I am not a DSM expert.

1992 Eagle Talon TSi made prior to June (or is it February, I don't remember) that has the 6 bolt engine and the 4 bolt rear. Of course, DSM owners may disagree with theis but this is what I have always heard and read.

25. tsi90

tsi90 _____

if you want to make lots of power 400+ hp then just get a 1990. they have the 3bolt rear which wont last very long. then you can just swap it out for a 4bolt, they dont cost too much. the only differance is that you have the early 1990 6bolt engine which has much stronger rods in it. or just get a 92 and up grade the rods. thats what im doing