AW Vehicle Review - 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, Oct 19, 2004.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

The Grand Plan: Power And Refinement Define Jeep’s New Flagship

[​IMG]

TOM TRACE
    Published Date: 10/18/04

After driving the new Jeep Grand Cherokee, it is easy to say the third-generation SUV is as comfortable cruising the slums of tony suburbia as it is surfing the dirt. Company executives want to make sure you understand their flagship Jeep is taking on both objectives with equal vigor.

To carry each mandate required a new level of refinement in the vehicle—refinement of luxury and off-road function.

The 2005 Grand Cherokee Limited’s interior is on par with many luxo-utes. Extra attention was paid to the dash and the fit-and-finish of the console. Controls are easy to operate. They are highlighted by a faux wood and chrome dashboard, but the switchgear itself doesn’t feel cheap. Premium amenities like navigation, satellite radio and DVD player are available.

In addition to the base 3.7-liter V6, which delivers acceleration evenly across the powerband, there is also the 4.7-liter V8 engine (rated at 235 hp and 305 lb-ft at 3500 rpm) for $33,690.

And then there is the Hemi option: At 330 hp and 375 lb-ft, the stout 5.7-liter Hemi V8 does more than add straight-line power and a gut-shakingly mean sound: It taunts you to push the Grand Cherokee to the max. The Hemi V8 Limited model stickers for $37,860.

The new Grand Cherokee’s road performance has been improved to back up the grunt. Built on a longer and wider platform, a hydraulically controlled active stabilizer system reduces body roll. The engineers worked on making the rack-and-pinion steering system more linear and direct, and it proved itself on curvy mountain roads. Though it is not a sports car, that you can push the Grand Cherokee through the turns with little worry proves the engineers understand how it will be used in the real world.

Mud loyalists should take solace that Jeep engineers and marketers have not forgotten this truck’s roots. Three 4x4 systems are offered for the Grand Cherokee, ranging from a basic full-time system to a more complex setup using an active transfer case and an electronically controlled traction-sensing differential.

[​IMG]

Think of Quadra-Trac I as the peanut-butter version: It’s a tried-and-true mainstay, a full-time 4x4 device with no buttons to push and a brake control system that battles wheel slip. Quadra-Trac II adds an active transfer case that does an even better job of sensing wheel slippage. Quadra-Drive II is for serious off-roaders, trumping both Quadra-Trac systems with electronic limited-slip differentials and a clutch pack that automatically varies from slip to lockup on scrappy surfaces. All you really need to do is carefully pick a line, be judicious with the throttle, and roll on.

Off-road obstacles were strategically placed in a parched and tattered tract of scrub designed to challenge Camp Jeep attendees. The exercises included precipitous inclines and declines, house-sized ruts and monster rocks. After a thorough flogging, not a single vehicle sustained damage on this nasty trail; the Grand Cherokee proved its mettle, even with two wheels off the ground in some instances.

Because of the tenacity of Jeep, as well as the equity of such an identifiable marque, the designers were faced with a conundrum: how to update the Grand Cherokee’s looks. From the outside, the ute is easily recognizable by its profile, shape and face. It is at the same time different enough to stand out as a new design. Strong cues like its seven-slot grille are still present—despite General Motors’ contention that the grille is a Hummer trademark—though it is a sleeker design overall. Park a previous-model Grand Cherokee beside a 2005 version, and it is even more obvious that the flagship Jeep has evolved nicely.

The new Grand Cherokee stretches ever closer to luxury status, yet its many refinements don’t mean the Jeep sacrifices its formidable off-road prowess to do so. The combination should please current owners while attracting new Jeep clan members to the fold.

[​IMG]

2005 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

ON SALE: Now
    BASE PRICE: $26,775
    POWERTRAIN: 3.7-liter, 210-hp, 235-lb-ft V6; rwd, five-speed automatic
    CURB WEIGHT: 4254 pounds
    0 TO 60 MPH: 10.8 seconds

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock Blistering Barnacles OT Supporter

I just don't know :sad2:

3. Nyce

Nyce .

rear end and roof line is ugly ..

it's underpowered for a regular V8 version, 235 hp is a small number, nice amount of torque though :o

decent SUV but not that much of an improvment from the previous gen. the hemi option is cool though :eek:

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Dear god the back is UGLY.

Front isn't that bad.

5. frinky23

frinky23 Bangle Sackrider

It's pretty ugly.

6. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I haven't been paying attention did they end up going independent in the front?

7. TriShield

Yes.

8. TJPax

TJPax New Member

I'm a huge Jeep supporter. I own a WJ and a TJ. The next gen Grand Cherokee lost my vote as soon as they put the spare under the rear bumper. It's just a pet peeve.

9. McClane

McClane Who Killed Marilyn?

the rear reminds me of an H2 :hsugh: :down:

10. TriShield

At least the interior looks lovely.

11. skez

skez Large Member OT Supporter

if only it wasnt ugly

12. Z7

Z7 New Member

What the fuck is GM thinking??? 7 slot grill is a Hummer trademark? Riiight!

:rofl:

[​IMG]

13. mucky

mucky .

14. mucky

mucky .

Wait, I thought it was the other way around. Jeep threw the fit against Hummer because they call dibs on the 7 slot grill. :ugh:

15. McClane

McClane Who Killed Marilyn?

its very nice. i wouldnt buy a jeep for luxury though..doesnt really make sense in my head...

jeep = mud
    lexus = comfort

16. mucky

mucky .

http://www.onetomany.com/jeepnews/content.asp?i=429

Stupid article, it was the other way around. :slap:

17. Z7

Z7 New Member

that makes more sense.

Pontiac does a really bad imitation of the BMW dual kidney grill, and Hummer copies the 7 slot grill... seems consistent to me.

18. JohnnyBeagle

JohnnyBeagle OT Supporter

I saw one of these today in my school parking lot. Disgusting looking, really didn't like what they did to it

19. schmack

schmack Professional Lurker OT Supporter

www.aev-conversions.com

they don't have any info yet on their 2005 GC conversion, but there is a pic on the front page. It looks hawt.