AW Driver's Log - 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, Jun 3, 2005.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

[​IMG]

THE EDITORS OF AUTOWEEK
    Published Date: 5/30/05

FLOYD: Take a glance at the spec sheet for this GXP’d Grand Prix and it’s hard not to be impressed. Sadly, all that power is routed to the front wheels, but hey, you can’t have everything. When all you have to do is tap on the throttle to get the big front meats to chirp, all is almost forgotten. Inside is a mixed bag. I like the seats and the comprehensive computer-info center. But the speedo is as big as my head and the dash—with its bazillion air vents and the decade-old big-button radio—desperately needs a revamp. It’s nice to look at from the outside, with sweet chrome exhaust tips and aggressive front fascia, but there is no way in the world I’m buying this over a rear-drive, 400-hp GTO for about the same price.

GRITZINGER: At Mr. Floyd’s suggestion I drove this back to back with the Nissan Altima SE-R. Both are performance versions of base cars, front-drivers, and cost around $30,000. But that’s where the parallels end. The Altima is less refined and definitely more of a driver’s car. But the GXP is not without its own charms: big V8 exhaust burble, power to spare, smooth TapShift tranny, comfortable interior and sharp exterior. Yes, it’s heavier than the Altima, but as long as you keep your inputs smooth, it’s a whale of a fun front-driver, sticking through hard corners, keeping its nose headed where it’s pointed.

When you jackrabbit the throttle, punch the brakes or heave it into a turn, however, it just feels like a whale
    . I would probably put more beef into the suspension, otherwise I wouldn’t mess with anything. The V8 pulls strongly, the steering feels naturally weighty, and the overall package seems well thought out. Over the long haul I think this GXP would prove more satisfying than a similarly equipped Altima SE-R. But like Mike, I doubt I’d pick the GXP over the rear-drive GTO.

DATE IN FLEET: May 10-17
    AS-TESTED PRICE: $32,600
    POWERTRAIN: 5.3-liter V8; fwd, four-speed automatic
    OUTPUT: 303 hp @ 5600 rpm, 323 lb-ft @ 4400 rpm
    CURB WEIGHT: 3600 lbs
    MPG (AW observed): 21.2/20.1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

The Charger poos all over it. :coolugh:

3. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

No 0-60 or performance numbers?

4. NeoPaladin

NeoPaladin New Member

Kind of conflicted about this, since I bought an '04 GTP. I love the idea of a V8 in the Grand Prix, I just wish that they had routed the power to the correct wheels.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd have saved the money, bought a used '99 or '00 GP GT as a daily driver, and have an LS1 F-body as a weekend toy. Trying to combine a daily beater and a weekend toy really just doesn't work. :hsd: