Avid Xpress Pro vs. Final Cut Pro HD

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Gomer, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Gomer

Gomer New Member

Slight background: Started on the Adobe platforms about 6 years ago with dv editing and got it down very well and about 2 years ago I was able to work with my school and use Avid Xpress DV w/ Mojo and have a rough idea of this editing suite (I have a lot more knowledge regarding it now). This was all on PC mind you, but I would consider myself an intermidiate video editor looking to hit Prosumer end of the spectrum.

Now on to my debate, since I have worked with Avid before I have an idea of this product's power and a big draw are the Avid features and ridiculous amount of Codecs that you can use to encode. Avid Xpress Pro is available to me for $295.

I also have Final Cut Pro sitting there and its only $150 with what seems a to less expandablility and less to grow on (if you take out upgrading to Final Cut Suite 5.1). Since I haven't worked with Final Cut much, I have to ask any of you who have worked with FC or both FC & Avid to give me your opinions. I'm not just cutting together family movies or youtube things, some of this will be TV play. So please give me your honest opinions as I am definitely already leaning towards Avid for many reasons.

2. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

I've used both...
    I've used an Avid Symphony system in a TV studio and an Avid Express at a smaller studio, currently I'm working in a marketing department and we use FCP Studio...

personally, I like the FCP system over the Avid system. to me it's easier to use, and works so well with Motion (for motion graphics/compositing), Soundtrack Pro (for audio editing), and DVD Studio Pro (to make dvd's). Sure it doesn't have all the pretty highend features that Avid had, but honestly, I hardly ever used them myself, making the ease of use a better sell to me.

Currently we shoot with that Panny HD camera with the memory cards...P2 something or another...