average age of ppl when they are engaged...

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Project X, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Project X

Project X New Member

just curious of what the average age was of the people getting engaged and how long they were dating for...

im 24 and i plan on gettin engaged/married when im 26. I would do it now but i want to be smart and save up more money for the house and other expenses. the gf is 22.

2. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Late 20's.

3. MP525i

MP525i New Member

her birthday: july 26
    mine: july 23

we were engaged last june. i was 24 she was 23
    we're going to be married this june. i'll be 25 and she'll be 24... a month later we'll be 26 and 25.

i think that's a pretty good age to get married.

4. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Why does it matter when other people become engaged or get married? Their engagements and marriages will have absolutely no bearing on how your own will go.

5. stormywaters

stormywaters Tornadoes are just wind...

We're gonna be engaged at 20 and 21. But the wedding will probably be after we both graduate with our B.S.'s (so 4 more years)

6. thatshot2

thatshot2 -:-

ive always wanted to be married by like 22/23 which ill be out of school at that time and be with my current bf for 5/6 years

he also said would like to get married around 24/25 so it works out because we are 19 (in a month)/21 so i tihnk its a good time

7. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I'm obviously not one to care about statistics ;) Statistically I should be a welfare mother with tons of kids by different fathers right now, but I'm not.

If you allow yourself to be bound by statistics or the "norm" for your age, you will never accomplish anything else.

10? :rolleyes:

8. The Secretary

The Secretary My domestic skills will rock your socks off!

Depending on where you come from. But statistics are just numbers. Numbers and mathematical equations do not account for love and what is really going on in that relationship.

9. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

1I don't think it matters on age.

If you have dated around finally found the person you want to settle down with then go for it.

Yes age does matter alittle bit for example: 19-21(which I am sure will fail).

I don't think age is that big of a deal.

If your happy and so is s/he then go for it!

On topic I think 24 should be about average age.

10. lauren

lauren Active Member

whats the upper threshold?

11. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I wasn't taking my situation and generalizing it. Nowhere in this thread have I given my opinion on which marriages will last and which will fail and why ;)

I DON'T think kids should get married. I think most kids our age are way too young (mentally and otherwise) to be married as long as we have been. I realize that we are definetly the "exception to the rule" and I don't expect others to live up to our standards.

Please don't read something that isn't there.

12. Miss Red

Miss Red New Member

I agree with just about everyone. I think mid/late 20's are good, but sometimes you just know and are ready. There is no definate right or wrong when it comes to these things.

13. SpectraRedZ

SpectraRedZ New Member

I'm 20 and the fiance is 21 - been together just over 2 years now. We'll be 21 and 22 when we get married in February. May sound young to some, and it might be. But we feel it's right, and understand that it's what you make of it.

(Fiance's parents for example were married at 21 [dad] and 23/24 [mom], after knowing each other 1 month [and a military relationship on top of that!] & are still very happy 23 years later. My parents were 41 [dad] and 24 [mom], knew each other 8 years beforehand, and have a crappy relationship 23 years later).

14. katatat

katatat you're outta your league Donnie

initially i was ok with being engaged at like 20 with my last bf and we were a year apart in age. but that was also because our relationship was so strong and we had been through a lot within the first year, a lot of stuff people go through in like three years or so. but with my bf i have now we are on diff. levels. he's a completely diff person as opposed to my last bf, so being engaged at 20 doesnt seem like the best idea. now i'm lookin more so when i'm like 23 maybe in which he will be 26/27 which sounds better for him.

so it really does depend on your relationship and where you two are at.

plus i have a rule of thumb when it comes to that:

if you date for a short period of time- be engaged for a longer period of time
    if you date for a long period of time- be engaged for a shorter or equal amount of time

i think there has to be some sort of balance.

15. SpectraRedZ

SpectraRedZ New Member

I agree on dating 2-3 years. We want to get married around our 3 year anniversary of being together (so a 1 year engagement). My best friend got engaged 3 months after being with her bf (she was also 16, he was 19. It only lasted 3 more months after that). I was even kinda surprised when the fiance told me how his parents knew each other for only a month before getting married! 8 years like my parents seemed kinda long. Granted it differs for each couple though.

16. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I was engaged after being with my husband for 3 months. :mamoru: We were married before our second anniversary of being together as well. We just celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary and will have been together for 9 years in May (although it seems like longer than that! :rofl: )

There is no hardfast rule for how long you should be together before an engagement. Being together for a longer time doesn't necessarily mean you will have a successful marriage and vice versa (in my opinion at least, I'm sure others will agree).

Disclaimer: I am not advocating that anyone get married or engaged after any set period of time or hell Im not advocating anything. Just sharing my experience and opinion :) (disclaimer just for you Viper! :mamoru: :love:)

17. deathofxromance

deathofxromance New Member

i want to be married by the time i`m 23.
    my boyfriend agrees that thats around a good time.
    we`ve been dating for a little under a year and a half.
    we`re both 18.
    hes a freshman in college, i`m a senior in high school.

so idk about engagement.
    prolly 21 or 22.
    but i`m planning my own wedding,
    so that`ll prolly make the engagement go by a little faster.

18. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Meh...this is 2007 people are waiting till later in life to marry. I'm almost 40 and never been engaged/married. You can't believe how many people tell me I'm lucky when they hear this....it's almost like the standard response and most are very serious.

It is sometimes strange to not be married after all this time but I'm ok with it. Still it would have been nice to raise kids with some of my friends and such.

Funny thing is...one of the few things I've always known in my life is that I want to get married and have kids. What's that saying tho?? "Life happens while we're busy making other plans." It certainly applies to me.

However, I ready and it's a good time. Now I just gotta find the victim...err...woman. :)

19. lauren

lauren Active Member

wow, i cant imagine being married now. got some things i need to take care of before i even think about such seriousness.

20. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Because she's 18, in love, and with the guy her took her virginity. That's why. It's pretty much impossible to try to dissuade people when they are in this state.

21. deathofxromance

deathofxromance New Member

why do you say that like its a bad thing?
    trust me, i`m not stupid.
    i understand the odds are against "high school sweethearts"
    getting married &staying together &forever! &love! &happiness!
    and all of that bullshit.
    but i`m very happy, &so is he.
    so, fuck off &allow me to have the pretty little fantasy that we will stay together.
    allow me atleast that, kk?

22. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Please learn to form a complete sentence before you seriously consider getting married. :o
    edit: I am actually halfway serious about this. If you want other people to take you seriously and not look at you like a 16 year old child, please make some attempt to form a complete sentence, use proper punctuation etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2007
  23. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

kk!

But seriously, I wasn't even saying anything mean, but you sure got defensive quick. You just sounded like me and every other girl I knew in highschool who was in a LTR with an older guy who happened to be their first sexual partner. Props if you guys do get married and last. I was just pointing out for the majority of those couples who don't work out they always say "I wish I would've listened to ___ when they told me not to get too serious too young"

24. teo

teo . => ? => !

My parents were married by 23(mom) and 25(dad).. it ended in divorce when I was 10 due primarily to a lack of communication and subsequent relationship stagnation. They weren't right for each other.

I'm glad I waited til later and took their marriage as a lesson in what not to do. I would have ended up miserable being married to the guy I was dating at 23, and I don't think I would have been in the right mindset to make a good choice of husband before then.

25. SpectraRedZ

SpectraRedZ New Member

That's awesome that it worked for you, too! :) From what I've seen, it does work both ways. Fiance's parents, and you for an example - known each other a short time before committing to marriage, and it works. Couple friends of mine, didn't work out for them.

As its been said before, only the two people in the relationship can decide when a good time to be engaged/get married is. No one else can tell you. Some people want more time to do things, others are ready earlier. I believe that we are, and the fiance feels the same (or he wouldnt have asked! He's got a better head on his shoulders than to just jump into something he didn't believe in). We both wanted to wait a bit (and 2 years was a good amount of time to see where the relationship went!), but didn't want to wait 8 years like my parents did.

PS: Cerridwen - I love your av! :rofl: