MIL Availability of jobs

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by armond, Jan 9, 2008.

1. armond

armond New Member

I am on the road to getting my medical approval taken care of to join the Air Force. I have to be approved by a civilian Dr. before the Air Force will take me. Oh and before that, I have to submit a hand written letter as to what happened to me that caused me to be medically separated in the first place, then the Surgeon General has to approve it. They say it can take 1-2 months for this whole phase to complete.

I am trying to enlist before I turn 28. I know, I know, old geezer. :fawk: I am only 26 right now. But living and working in the civilian world has really made me sour. And back in 2000 I had enlisted, but was separated due to a medical condition out of my control. Also it did not exist prior and does not exist now.

I was curious as to what type of jobs are currently available in the Air Force? I know there are a lot of knowledgeable members roaming around here. I was really curious because I would like something that will transfer to civilian life rather well.

I ask that if you plan on bashing branches, please don't do it here. :bigthumb: I have respect for all branches and always have since I was a kid.

Thanks Teh Barracks!

2. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

go enlisted aircrew, they are one of the best jobs in the military, any branch.
    you can be a loadmaster, flight engineer, boom operator, gunner on helos, or on an AC-130 :eek3:
    and airforce sucks :fawk: ha, jk, i'm going back to the Marines that's why.

3. armond

armond New Member

LOL! Good luck with the Marines! Total respect in your direction from me!

I am kinda wondering though, I am currently engaged, soon to be married. I want a job that is going to allow me to have some type of family life.

I heard that flight jobs are always on the go. Although they would have been a great one before I was ever committed to my fiance. Although she supports me and says "you pick the job that you want to do, I support whatever you choose." I want to be able to be around. We are wanting to start a family once I have made my choices, so I think something that would allow me some type of family life is in good order.

4. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

then aircrew is def not for you. you will be flying and gone alot, specially if you're on a cargo plane , ie C-130, C-141, C-17, C-5. I hear some of those guys are flying non-stop for a few days, with multiple crews of course.

if you want to stay in one place, pick some boring deskjob, but you will grow tired of it eventually, specially if you dont deploy.

5. armond

armond New Member

Deployment is not an issue, mostly because from my understanding the AF tours are not as long as the other branches. I was separated from my fiance for about a year as a civilian, so we know we can deal with deployment, mostly because it doesn't seem to happen as often as it does in other branches. Please shed some light if I was misinformed.

Well I found an interest in the still photography field, health related fields, and some maintenance(helicopters, transfers well into civilian life).

6. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Read the electronic newspaper at www.stripes.com sometime. There are a few cover stories (okay maybe 1 or 2) that mention the AF deployments moving from 4-6month to a new 6-8 months rotation. Its nowhere near as long as the Army or the Marines have it, but it isn't as short as you were assuming. I'd still take it over anything the Army/Marines have to deal with though.

If you want a stable position pick an office job like finance. That always looks good on a resume because you are handling millions of dollars a year. At least I hope that is what your EPR will say LOL :x:

7. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

or join the air guard. our deployments are 2 months long. well, were, cuz as you know i'm going back to the Corps.

8. armond

armond New Member

interesting tidbits of info.

any ideas of what type of jobs have a good rate of advancement. I would truly pick a job that made me happy as opposed to granting me quicker advancement. But, if one of the jobs i am interested in can do that, why not right?

9. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

If its the USAF then advancement is based on tests mostly. E1 - E4 is automatic based on your time in service. E5 - E7 will be a series of tests, your accomplishments, etc and that'll all be calculated on a point scale. I don't think it has much to do with your AFSC, but I could be wrong.

Read this: http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/afpromotions/a/afpromotion.htm

10. armond

armond New Member

It does say that anything above E-4 there has to be a slot open for it. And I see what you mean about the USAF having a different promotion system, kinda encouraging after reading it. Not so bad methinks.

I truly would enlist for the 6 year term. I have no doubt I want to get in and stay in. I just want something so that when I am old and retired to transfer well to a good post-retired life. If after 6 years I hate it, well I can say I have 6 years of honest-to-goodness experience, which isn't so bad eh?

thanks for that read though!

11. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

I'd do 4 years if I were you. It gives you the option to crosstrain at the 3 year mark (vs. 5years if you sign up for 6), and if you want to get out you'd get out sooner. Even if you are a "lifer" I'd still only sign up for 4years. Having options is a good thing.

12. armond

armond New Member

you could be right, but i feel like i have a lot of catching up to do. 6 year enlistment means an advanced rank doesn't it? E-2 after basic? I see what you mean by cross train. That way if I find something I want, I will be ready for it at the 3 year mark. Perhaps a good idea, options are always great!

13. Atheist

Atheist oh, hi OT Supporter

Sorry to interrupt, but Armond is the fiance the same girl as you talked about in Vag years ago? Susan I think?

14. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

6yr enlistees get to E-3 sometime after BMT. I believe it is 20 weeks after they graduate from BMT. It really isn't worth it though. Going through the 4yr route might be longer initially, but once you test for E-5 and get it everything sort of evens out. A 4yr enlistee will hit E-4 at the 3yr mark, and 6 months later you'll be eligible for E-5. Not everyone will get E-5, and if you do then you just moved ahead of some of those same 6yr enlistees.

Also look at the pay difference between E-1 and E-3. The difference is about $240 BEFORE taxes. For me that wasn't worth committing myself for 2 additional years, but you could see it differently than I do. I felt that keeping my options open at the 4yr mark was worth much more than the pay.

15. armond

armond New Member

LOL ya, so funny how some people remember! We are engaged and have been since December 4th 2007, we originally got together December 4th of 2005. :wiggle:

16. armond

armond New Member

That is a lot to think about, thanks for the input and info bro. I have to sit down and debate this with Sue(sorry Atheist, forgot to tell you her real name LOL).

I know she is gonna support what I choose, but I wanna hear her out regardless.

17. armond

armond New Member

List of jobs I am interested in:

Biomedical equipment apprentice
    Helicopter maintenance apprentice
    Non Destructive Inspection Apprentice
    Traffic Management Apprentice
    Cardiopulmonary Laboratory Apprentice
    Contracting Apprentice
    Dental Laboratory Apprentice
    Diagnostic Imaging Apprentice
    Diet Therapy Apprentice
    Opthalmic Apprentice(Optometry)
    Pharmacy Apprentice
    Physical Medicine Apprentice
    Public Affairs Apprentice
    Public Health Apprentice
    Safety Apprentice
    Still Photography Apprentice

Do I have any chances to get em?

18. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Go through MEPS and they'll let you know if you qualify. Even if you put all of that down there is still that possiblity that you will get an AFSC that isn't on your wish list. Noone here will be able to tell you what your chances are in any of those fields.

19. armond

armond New Member

Well, I am signed up for my medical appointment with the civilian doctor on monday. Hopefully everything is A-Ok.

I understand about the job availability, that which no one can tell me whether I can even get into them. I plan to do well on the ASVAB, I test well, always have. I will have to see.

20. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

NDI can be made into a very well paying civilian job

21. armond

armond New Member

The Non-Destructive Inspection? Well if it is available, I wouldn't mind giving it a go. As several have mentioned, perhaps going 4 years is just fine, that way if I am none too happy with my job, I can always try to train into something else after my 3 years.

22. armond

armond New Member

Civilian Doc says I am good to go, just have to go to the recruiter and get the full process started.