av crew help me! my new hdtv vs. my old surround receiver

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by chansigril, Jul 24, 2006.

1. chansigril

chansigril not an og, just a g OT Supporter

so i just set up my new phillips magnavox 37" lcd hdtv... but what's this? the only audio out is a digital plug, labeled "spdif out". my surround receiver has only analog signals in, the red/white plugs. can this work somehow?

well off i went to best buy and asked their av guys about it. they recommended a quality 6' cable and an attachment that split it into two plugs at one end.

well... it works, but it sounds atrocious. the signal is garbled and static-filled, this solution did not work. i need a better solution.

tv model is magnavox 37mf231d. it is phenomenal :bowdown:

audio receiver/amp is an optimus stav-3770 pro series. it was great 6 years ago when i purchased it :hs:

any suggestions are appreciated, i could really use some help, thanks!

2. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Use the analog preouts on your hd box. Otherwise, using the digi coax out is your only option.

3. chansigril

i can use the analog pre-outs, i was hoping to avoid this as i would have to change the receiver for each input, i.e. xbox, vcr (and snes) and cable. feasible, but a pita.

digital coaxial cable? are you talking about the same setup i mentioned above, with the splitter? is there a cable that has this built in? i was doing some research and it looks like the digital signal is not read the same as the analog signal, which means it really won't work well.

i'm thinking i need to break down and go buy a receiver that will accept a digital signal :(

4. ITGuy

ITGuy New Member

Right now you have to change the source on your TV for each item attached, correct? Can your receiver process both the audio AND video? If so, connect it this way and select your sources on the receiver and never switch your TV source. It sounds like the receiver has the inputs you need from the devices, but not from the TV (for audio) and this might be a solution for you.

5. chansigril

yes, i do have to change the source for each item connected, for instance xbox is av3, cable is av2 etc. the audio switches at the same time the mode switches.

my receiver can process both video and audio, it can take a yellow/red/white analog connection.

i think i see where you're going with this but i would have to switch both the tv source (at the tv) and audio source (at the receiver) in order to make this work :(

i think i'm off to best buy to pick up a new reciever, thanks for the help folks. i've been doing some other research and i don't see how i can make this work the way i want to. i'll have a surround sound professional series amp/receiver up for sale shortly :)

6. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

If you buy from best buy make sure to buy a yamaha receiver. I know these receivers will allow you to up convert through component. So basically you hook the component output of the receiver to the component input on the tv. This way the tv stays on component 1 or whatever. Then you plug your hd box/dvd/games into the receiver. All you need to do then is press dvd/cbl/v-aux to switch sound and video.