AutoWeek - 2007 GMC Acadia SLT AWD

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, Mar 16, 2007.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Good to the Bone

[​IMG]

By ROGER HART
    AutoWeek | Published 03/12/07, 3:04 pm et

Sheesh, this is getting kind of boring. Seems like every new truck rolled out by GM is a home run these days. From the Chevrolet Suburban to Silverado, from the GMC Denali to Acadia, GM’s trucks look good, perform well and would, all things considered, appear to be good value for the money. I just spent some time in the General’s new heavy-duty trucks, and yep, it’s the same thing.

Okay, maybe it’s unfair to call the Acadia a truck, as I guess technically GM’s calling it a crossover. But it’s wearing a GMC badge, and GMC makes trucks. It’s a solid piece, built on a chassis built specifically for crossovers (it is shared with the Buick Enclave and Saturn Outlook). Give GM credit here; it could have cobbled up some other chassis—say an old minivan platform—and slapped a new body on it and saved some bucks. It didn’t do that, and the Acadia is much better for it.

The 267-hp V6 is adequate, and returned better than 18 mpg on my 188 miles. When you need to pass, it makes a good amount of racket when pushed hard, and while more oomph is always welcome, the engine seemed potent enough to haul this thing around without too much complaining. Might be a different story if I’d filled all seven seats, or loaded up the cargo hold for a long trip. We’ll have to wait and see on that one.

Our test truck was pretty well loaded, with a bunch of stuff that you could easily do without. But with all the goodies, this thing is a luxury vehicle with 4wd.

The ride is still on the trucky side, but even over rough freeways—rife with frost heaves and potholes—no fillings were knocked loose. The seats are very comfortable, something I think GM has made major improvements on over the years, and the truck was relatively quiet.

The biggest feeling I came away with from this truck was that it’s substantial. No rattles, nothing felt loose…in fact, everything felt pretty tight. Panel fits are good, and save for a cheap-looking silver-painted plastic piece surrounding the HVAC/infotainment system, the interior looks good, too; GM has really stepped up its game. If it could just do away with those last remaining hard plastic bits, I’d have very little to complain about.

This is the first vehicle I’ve had with heated windshield washers that I’ve actually had a chance to use in really freezing weather. With the temperature reading 4 degrees F, I pushed the little button and…waited. On a screen in the center of the dash it told me that the heated wash/wipe was pending. It takes about 20 seconds to get the fluid hot and then, in a flurry of steam, a stream of fluid hit the windshield followed closely by a few wipes and away went the frost. Then, about 20 seconds later, another spurt, followed by more wipes, and then 20 seconds later…well, you get the picture. One push of the button nets you four heated squirts of hot washer fluid. And no scraping.

One strange option on this truck: HUD. Yep, just like on a Corvette, you can get a ute with a heads-up-display. I happen to like HUDs, and this one was a bit unique. You don’t really need to pay attention to the tach, like you would in say a Vette, so the speedo number is dominant in the display. And when you have XM tuned in, the song name is flashed across the screen. Again, not something that’s really necessary, and it’s probably another unneeded distraction, but at least you don’t have to take your eyes off the road.

GM has really done its homework regarding its new line of trucks. They’re solidly built, look good and at least from the first drives, seem to be well engineered. The price, with this one stickering at nearly $45 large, can be a bit daunting, but I get the feeling here, at least, you’re getting what you pay for.

[​IMG]

AT A GLANCE: 2007 GMC ACADIA SLT-2
    Date in fleet: March 1-7
    Base price: $ 38,105
    As tested: $44,860
    Drivetrain: 3.6-liter V6; awd, six-speed automatic
    Output: 275 hp @ 6600 rpm, 251 lb-ft @ 3200 rpm
    Curb weight: 4,925 lbs.
    Fuel economy (EPA/AW): 19.5/18.3

Options: touch-screen navigation ($2,145); dual sunroofs ($1,300); 19-inch wheels ($1,295); entertainment system with DVD, headphones, surround sound ($1,295); trailering package including heavy-duty cooling system and trailer hitch ($425); premium paint ($395); heads-up display ($350); cargo area audio controls ($150); wheel content credit (-$600)

[​IMG]

2. TriShield

This makes up for the Envoy and awful minivans. :cool:

3. JohnnyBeagle

JohnnyBeagle OT Supporter

GMT-360 platform needed to be replaced long ago, and I own one lol

4. LanceVance

LanceVance Beta Orbitor

Another SUV?

5. TriShield

I have driven a few Acadias and Outlooks, they are excellent in every respect. Much better than the GMT-900s too.

Chevrolet will eventually get a flavor to replace the Trailblazer and Uplander.

6. JohnnyBeagle

I got a chance to ride in the Uplander and jesus christ, Toyota is wiping the floor with GM's trucks, they are such pieces of shit.

7. TripleFive

TripleFive Someone Sell Me A Porsche! OT Supporter

The Buick is better.

8. TriShield

9. TripleFive

TripleFive Someone Sell Me A Porsche! OT Supporter

10. mucky

mucky .

I have to say, I've been VERY impressed at the autoshow and seeing them on the road. Shit, dare I say this, but new GMC Arcadia/Buick Enclave > new Toyota Highlander. :run:

11. B_O_T

B_O_T Calcio Italiano ftw

12. Supernoma

Supernoma servus publicae OT Supporter

By trucks you mean minivans, yes? Those minivans were hot stuff.... in 1997. I'd hate to see GM get out of the minivan market all together, but they are in need of a clean slate. The 355 trucks could use one too.... ack they are a half-ass attempt if I ever did see one.

13. JohnnyBeagle

yeah, that's what I meant, whoops. Friend's mom was having a shit ton of problems with her 3 month old Uplander, doesn't do much to save GM's image as coming back in terms of quality and reliability.

14. mucky

mucky .

Ok, as much as I like this product, I HATE it when GM carbon copies the same vehicle 4 times with price overlapping. What a way to dilute a good product. :sad2:

15. TriShield

They've got to give their dealerships something to sell though. Especially Chevrolet since that brand is the majority of their sales.

16. mucky

mucky .

This is one of those times where the topic slips in that GM needs to either consolidate their brands or kill of one or two of them.

17. TriShield

Pontiac and GMC are one brand and becoming one dealer network, so there will not be a Pontiac version. That's also why the Acadia has red interior illumination.

The Chevrolet flavor will be the final version of this vehicle and the most affordable.

18. Joe

Joe 2015 :x: OT Supporter

hotness...

still waiting for a new avalanche with a 6 speed :x:

19. Brujo

Brujo New Member

who the hell is going to spend close to 45k for a v6?

it may be a good vehicle, but i just dont see it selling for that price

20. OPM Inc.

OPM Inc. OT Supporter

:cool: this will probably my next car although the v6 and the fact that it's the first model year is holding me back.

21. Joe

Joe 2015 :x: OT Supporter

:werd: i wanted the new avalanche when it first came out, but then i remembered not to buy the first year models, then i read about all the goodies that other gmt900 trucks got that might trickle down eventually (6 speed, 6.0 (i think they can be ordered with it now tho), etc)

wish they'd put bench seats in more than just the bottom 2 trims tho :(

22. OPM Inc.

OPM Inc. OT Supporter

I think you can still get the bench seats for any trim but why do that when you can have the nice captain's chairs?

23. uptownbill

uptownbill OT Supporter

you gotta be a sick mfer to spend 45k on that

24. Supernoma

get an Avalanche on the 3/4ton chassis.... all the 3/4 and 1 ton chassis have 6L90E transmissions standard.

25. Supernoma

Holden did this awhile back, Holden Adventra CX8... SUV with GTO style interior and a LS1 under the hood