Autoplay feature not working - WinXP Pro

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deadW8, Nov 10, 2004.

1. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

Is this just because it's Windows XP Pro?

I plug my usb (sandisk 512mb cruzer mini) into my windows xp pro system and all the balloons will come up telling me that it's detected and that it's installed and ready for use, but no autoplay menu pops up.

I then 'safely remove' the same sandisk 512 cruzer mini and plug it in my windows xp home and it gives me all the same balloons about it being detected and installed and immediately pops up with the autoplay menu asking me which programs do i want to use to open it.

is this simply a windows xp pro vs. windows xp home thing?

(CD/DVD will autoplay in either windows xp pro or home systems -- just having trouble with USB drive autoplay function.)

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

autoplay == ghey

anyway, download tweakui and see if autoplay is disabled for the drive.

3. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

Well I've gone to run>services.msc and 'smart card' is set on manual so it should work (shouldn't it?).

I've also used the AutoFix.exe repair program from microsoft and that'd didn't help either...

I've read a few places where people have said this is because it's xp pro and that a usb drive will only autoplay on xp home? <--I've also read where others have said that autoplay works on both? <--:dunno:

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have xp pro and it worked at first (until I turned that annoying feature off)

did you try tweakui? because a pen drive is *NOT* a smart card.

5. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

Nope not yet, I'll try it tonight when I get home.

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

If the machine at least picks the device up, why not just make a shortcut on your desktop to the drive letter it creates?

I personally like the auto-play feature sometimes, but it does get annoying so I keep it off.

Next time you plug it in, right click on the drive letter it creates and go to properties. There should be an autoplay menu you can configure.

If that doesn't work, read through here. You may have to go into the registry to fix it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330135

HTH.

7. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

Thanks but that seems to be for CD-Roms/DVD's which will autoplay just fine in both machines...Just seems that XP PRO doesn't autoplay USB drives -- only XP HOME does...weird

oh well...just weird, I thought Pro was supposed to be "better" than HOME. :hs: