Autopia is really getting lame....

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Paulie Walnuts, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Two reasons, its winter and not much is happening.

But it also is turning into one big click and brag. There is so little substance anymore and certainly nothing really there to learn anymore.

Im just disappointed. I wish this forum was more active, at least the regulars here post good stuff and its fun to help the newbies.

People get so wrapped up in the boutique products over there. They think you have to have a $20 brush when a $2 tooth brush would do just fine.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I guess there's more to life than waxing your car. I mean, once you have the equipment and you know how to use it, it's all just "this product is shinier" and "this product lasts longer". Your car will still be looking far better than 95% of the cars on the road, so the law of diminishing returns comes into play.

3. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

this forum has its hit and miss weeks. sometimes everyone has something to say, and then there times it'll be days before a ? is posted. I've had rain all last week and this week has at least a 20% chance everyday. Justin seems to be the only one working right now, and i'm about to pack up and drive to GA to live with him for a month or so to get some business. :mamoru: he just doesn't know I'm coming yet.

4. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

I hate that place and it's mods/owner.
    I thank the Lord daily for being banned.

5. deusexaethera

Wait, so the people in here who obsess over this kind of wax and that kind of buffer do it for a living?

6. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

yeah for the most part. I don't know that we really obsess over stuff here. We all have great products that we will go to on a regular basis, but no major obsessions I don't think.

Scott, Justin, Juztang, Me, Labster, Shineshop. Paulie either does it part time or 3 seasons out of the year and has a winter job since he's in MN.

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I've actually been decently busy up until the rain and cold showed up this morning. Supposed to clear out by late Wednesday and the long range forecast looks dry. I'll be slammed all the way through Christmas. Believe me, Justin ain't the only one working. ;)

I haven't been posting as much on Autopia simply because I've been busy, plus since my accident, I've had back therapy (finally down to 3 times a week-hopefully I get released in the morning) that puts me an hour behind so I just don't have the time. Hell, I have probably 150 pics that I haven't even uploaded there for a huge C&B thread. Autopia always dies down in the winter anyway, detailing other than ONR washes up north isn't happening and most companies wait until late winter/early spring to put out new products. Just not as much to discuss this time of year on a board as tightly focused on one subject like Autopia.

8. Juztang

Juztang www.obsessivedetail.com

I detail full time but when the weather changes here things really start to drop off. I had quite a few cancellations throughout the week since we had snow and freezing rain. I still have my regulars that I do every week or 2 weeks.

What really helps me is that I got my website to fall back on.

9. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

Oh I know of a lot detailers that are busy right now. I just have to be done by 3:30 to pick up my kids and that's why I have to post! I'm slammed until then though. It can still be hit or miss for me. The week of Thanksgiving was tough because my customers were out of town. I just keep calling every Monday and making appointments. I can't count them to call. They get to busy. Then, I go by the actual businesses. This helps a lot too.

The weather is nothing you can control. I used to get so upset when it would rain. Then I started doing something when it did. I'd go by new businesses and introduce myself. I mean I would dress up. Look professional. I'd have a portfolio of my work with refererences. I'd spend two hours doing this and pick up several full details. I did this all the time in the beginning and now I only get referrals.

I thanks you all a lot. This is real world detailing here unlike Autopia.

10. deusexaethera

Hmm. For some reason I always assumed before that you guys were just a bunch of shine junkies.

11. Robb

Robb Guest

hence why i dont use autopia anymore, i have the products, the skill and the knowledge. To me there is no real reason to drool over new products or to ponder the combination of paste waxes. Find a product that works for you and use it, thats my motto.

12. Cooter

Cooter New Member

Thank god for the search feature.
    Robb. I think i smoked some of those cigars when i went to the Bahamas =)

13. Paulie Walnuts

Ive been banned 4 times from there since 2002. I can be an asshole and I realize this but also to my credit I have changed a lot since those days as well. I like to read a lot on line so its a good place to read. There are only 2 guys on there right now that I cannot fucking stand and one was banned recently.

Its a good place to learn there is no doubt about that. Plus when you dont do something for a while you forget. I know that each spring I feel like a fucking moran because I post newbie questions as its literally been 5 months since Ive touched a car. I dont even bother trying to wash my car in the winter here, it just doesnt pay.

14. Paulie Walnuts

I do not do it for a living. I do do it for money in the spring, summer and fall months. Being that I am in MN no one really does shit in the winter. I could do wash and waxes but quite frankly its not worth it. I am not working right now but should be getting three job offers here by the 20th. So my "career" job makes me about $65,000 a year then the detailing job is beer / bar money, money for unexpected things, guns, ammo, range time, spoiling Megan, toys and of course more detailing stuff :naughty:

I like to pretty much try every new product that comes out and that gets pricey although I only use two LSPs on my car now.

I only make about $5000 to $10,000 a year detailing. But I am good at it (I know it sounds cocky but I am) but Im far from the best around these parts. I leave that to Scott, Justin and JRock.

More than anything I like teaching people how to detail. I taught two people this year and now they are full blow obsessed.

15. Paulie Walnuts

See but for me detailing is a hobby as well. In the summer I probably detail or at least QD my car 4 days a week. Hell I have had weeks where I have applied an LSP 4 times a week. Is it over kill? Sure it is, but it gets me out of the house which helps my depression. It lets me accomplish something. In the business corporate America world often times it takes months to get a sale completed or a project done. Its draining to come in day after day and put pieces of a puzzle together when the puzzle keeps getting bigger and constantly changes. Deadlines, people not doing their jobs, budgets shifting, sales cycles getting longer and longer, dealing with client complaints, bitchy staff under you, travel, travel delays, expense reports, computer crashes, no IT support, shitty VPs ugh it never ends.

Im actually thinking about going to school in the next year or two to be an RN. But anyways its a release for me and an accomplishment, instant gratification.

16. Cooter

Cooter New Member

Good career move with RN school. You can make some great $ traveling. Upwards to $50/hr or more. The only bad thing is, like almost any job you have to put up with everything you listed above and you still have to bend over and kiss their ass.

I tried to explain to an ex about cleaning my car. I told her it was relaxing to me, but I really dont think she believe me. It gives me something to think about and take my mind off other crap thats going on. I'm with you on the frequent LSP application. I suck at trying to determine durability of a product.

17. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I leave it to Picus, Anthony Orosco and Superior Shine. Those three fucking rock. :bowdown:

18. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

See, that's just classy. you're the #1 go to guy here, and pretty high over there (i don't go much to find anyone else) and still say those guys rock. That's the mark of a gentleman there.

19. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

It's surprising how different sub forums are from OT... lol

20. Paulie Walnuts

Indeed, they are nice break from the madness over there.

21. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

stfu faggots!

22. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........
    Back to normal!

23. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

bitch, :slap: :gtfo3:

:mamoru:

24. Scottwax