A&P Automotive photographers are assholes.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Jonny Chimpo, May 28, 2007.

1. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

It's the simple truth. Every auto photography forum I've gone to on the internet is filled with a shit ton of noobs, but there are the occasional working pro photographer that posts and the guy is a always complete dick.

Not just arrogant, but they always seem so fucking bitter and envious of other pros work. I just saw a working "professional" say that these shots by Wynn Ruji were "terrible" (I'm serious, he actually said terrible) and that if they didn't have Ruji's name on them they would be torn apart by everyone...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's the same ego biscuit bullshit you see everywhere, only this time instead of saying "wow, awesome photarz of teh auto" about a shitty picture, the guy is saying obviously good work by an obviously good photographer is "terrible" so that he can feel better about himself.

Bullshit. Just because you can't get a shot that is this good isn't a reason for you to call another pro's good work terrible. Particularly when that other "terrible" pro's work makes your work look like snapshots done with a fucking point and shoot.

Seriously, some of these guys are just unreasonably arrogant. Every time I read this bullshit I just want to sell my cameras and set my computer on fire.

:ugh::ugh::ugh:

2. Just because the guy is a pro doesn't mean all of his shots are golden.

In the first shot, the front bumper and tires are lost in the shadows/ground. Other than that the shot is beautiful, especially the background!!

Second shot the side windows are blended in with the sky.

I think both are great photos and I don't follow the guy's work but I'm sure he has done better.

3. nicklk

nicklk New Member

What auto photography forums are there>

4. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

:rofl: @ "wow, awesome photarz of teh auto"

5. Airpoppoff

Airpoppoff Vodka > Racing F1

I thought, Ruji Is fucking amazing, I have a whole Magazine with his pictures in it. Not only that, He holds classes that you can go to to learn how he does it. I would have never thought hew would be like that.

6. Jonny Chimpo

Automotivephoto.net
    Automotivephotography.com (before it went tits up)
    the photography forum of Dieselstation.com
    the photography forum at Speedarena.com

etc.

There are a number of forums where auto and motorsport photogs hang out.

7. Jonny Chimpo

Ruji isn't like that. It was someone else saying that Ruji sucks.

Ruji has workshops? Where? When? Give me details, man!!!

8. Airpoppoff

I read your post 3 times, and I still missed it for some reason, But then again, I'm hungover. Ugh

Umm, let me get the mag back out

9. Airpoppoff

I just read it again, but It was a workshop by Eddie Adams that Ruji specifically helped and was a part of. I'm not sure if they've done it more than once, but their was a 5 page spread in this magazing.

10. Jonny Chimpo

Oh. That's called Barnstorm, it's an annual very high profile workshop that is invitation only. Prior year alums often help organize the event, which is probably what Wynn did.

I think Wynn is a Barnstorm XVII alum

http://www.eddieadamsworkshop.com/

11. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Every photography site I have been to is filled with assholes, some sites just allow it and some don't. Go shoot any event that has a lot of press there and see how other photographers act around each other. 99.9% of all pro photogs I have meet have been dicks. It makes sense, they are all out there competing for the best shot, for their paper, magazine or to sell freelance.

12. Airpoppoff

:wtc:

13. Airpoppoff

I guess I'm supposed to use my full name for a username too o

14. Jonny Chimpo

It's not that they are competing as much as they just can't seem to handle it when someone else is better with a camera than they are. Some of these guys just have seriously sandy vaginas.

They usually have zero perspective on where the rate on the photographic food chain. It's not like anyone is going to win a pulitzer for taking a picture of a car and taking pictures of cars isn't exactly Ansel Adams territory.

15. Jonny Chimpo

nope, you just suck. lol

Sorry, kidding. :rofl:

16. Airpoppoff

that too :wtc:

17. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

I'm not great a great photographer yet, but I'm modest beyond belief heh. I doubt I'll ever take a picture that I feel is better than somebody else's. I mean my picture may indeed be better, but I'll never realize it.

Just something about my own work that, since I'm the creator of it, lacks intrigue. Seeing somebody else's work gets my brain gears turnin, whereas my work is like, "oh, well yeah, I shot that." *shrug*

To me, the grass is always greener I guess...

18. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

barnstorm is a pretty exclusive event for the world's top working photojournalists and upcoming student photojournalists

ruji is very cool and a sportsshooter member as well.

in the photography world:
    there are a lot of people that can make cool automotive pictures, a majority of them appear to rely more on photoshop than straight technique. a lot of automotive photography is getting to be very :sleep: monotonous and uncreative...

19. Jonny Chimpo

Agree completely.

That was actually what sparked a couple of "pros" to make the 'Ruji is terrible' comment. I said that automotive photography was turning to bland vanilla crap and the it was the likes of Ruji and others that were doing interesting work.

Naturally, one guy fell back on the crutch that he only shoots what magazines ask for and that's why it's bland. But his portfolio is full of the same boring ass crap that end up in a magazine.

What cracks me up is that this same guy once lectured me on how people like me (with day jobs) devalue the market if we do a magazine shoot. It seems like turning your own work into a commodity to appease a mainstream magazine just so you can get a few hundred bucks and a publish credit is what devalues the market.

:rolleyes:

20. hash browns

it works both ways.

the majority of work being done by photographers these days is uncreative and bland enough that a person like (with a day job) can do the same work and undercut their often inflated prices. the photographers themselves have allowed their work as a community to become bland enough that the majority of them lack a competitive edge over the well-skilled amateur.

21. hash browns

on a side note, i didn't get accepted to last year's barnstorm... but i am clearly not in the top 100 of applicants

they have some incredible faculty, students and alumni :bowdown:

22. hash browns

anyways, if you want enhance your skills as an amateur...

learn how to light things... strobist.com :bowdown: our own OTer (*)(*) is :bowdown:

23. Jonny Chimpo

It doesn't really work both ways. You really summed it up though.

This is the death spiral that industries get into. As the product becomes a commodity then the barriers to entry diminish. Therefore you have to expect higher levels of competition and lower profit margins. This concept is business 101 and it is what my day job is all about.

If there's one thing I wish I could make pro photographers understand it's that the industry is doing this to itself. The same thing has happened to personal computer manufacturers. There used to be good money in making a PC, but now that anyone can do it by spending 10 minutes on Newegg.com, and an hour putting it together, companies like Dell enjoy razor thin margins on standard PC's. :rolleyes:

Hell, if photogs want an example of this closer to home look at the state of stock photography. It's cookie cutter business that pays shit these days because stock photos have become commodity.

The only way to recover is to have a differentiating value proposition in a given industry. If your product is significantly different and better than the competition, then you can charge more for it. Again, business 101. This is what makes Ruji a good business person. His work is always well above par which is why he gets to go to things like Barnstorm, and it makes him a different product from what Car & Driver will publish.

It may limit his opportunity to sell his work, (although he seems to be doing okay) but it also means that for his niche market he enjoys a much higher profit margin than other photographers. If he compromised his work to get into C&D he'd be devaluing his product.

In a commodity market then yes, someone like me (with a day job) can come in and undercut a pro because I don't have all the overhead of a working pro. Other people can undercut a pro because they simply don't know how much to charge for a job. But if the work is on par with the pro, who's fault is it really if the amateur gets the job over a pro?

The industry has to be a commodity BEFORE any joe blow can compete, and it's nor the joe blow's of the world that make an industry churn out commodity product. Simple as that.

24. Jonny Chimpo

I can't tell if you're serious or just being an OTer. :rofl::rofl:

25. hash browns

(*)(*) is awesome

personally, i feel like i am another example of the lower barriers to entry the professional photography industry is facing...

how can a no-talent ass-clown electrical engineer kid with no creativity create professional-quality work just by reading -- asian studying power ?

jason / (*)(*) is a great example of how a semi-amateur can learn to light and make :bowdown: work