Automotive People.....come share a tear with me, v. NUMMI Closing.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Engineering Kid, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Engineering Kid

Engineering Kid New Member

NUMMI, the "New United Motor Manufacturing Incorporated" plant closed yesterday. It was the hybrid project in California between GM and Toyota that started 25 years ago.

As a young, keen industrial engineer taking an early career job at a Toyota manufacturing plant in Cambridge Ontario, part of my job had me attend on the job training and work the line for a few weeks at this plant, along side some of the most blue collar UAW labor in the nation.

Toyota learned how to navigate the politics and culture of the western labor force and union environment. GM learned how to implement lean manufacturing and treat workers with respect and civility. In the first 3 years the plant went from being the worst GM plant for quality to the best.....and this was in the 80s when GM quality was shit. This plant did for north american industry what W. Edwards Deming did for quality.................and yesterday it closed its doors for good.

I was there for 4 months in 2002 and then a hand full of times there after.

Not sure if there is a manufacturing/industrial relations/union crew on OT. I know tons of people came out of the wood work when GM was about to go tits up....so there's some union and white collar auto people on here for sure.

:sadwavey: So long NUMMI. Thanks for delaying the inevitable death of GM and ensuing government cluster fuck of a bailout by a few years.

[​IMG]

good audio book here
    8 page white paper on the plant

2. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

RIP place i never heard of.

3. Piracy

Piracy New Member

4. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

The This American Life story about NUMMI was extremely well done.

5. couchlock

couchlock OT Supporter

heard about this on the radio, sounds like a lot of fuckers lost their jerbs

6. Engineering Kid

In the 80s toyota wanted to get a plant up and running in America.....about the same time that GM was making the shittiest cars ever. The deal was that GM would pretty much "hand the keys" to the plant to Toyota...

What resulted was Lean manufacturing and Total Quality Management in north america.........GM quality went from shittiy to well......less shitty because of what Toyota taught them at this plant.

UAW workers went from 20% absenteeism and frequent "flash strikes" to 2% absenteeism and years without even the threat of a strike.

7. rgeier11

rgeier11 OT Supporter

Interesting...I was under the impression that Toyota workers were non UAW.

Must be because its shared with GM.

8. TriShield

Tariffs were put on imported car so Toyota wanted a place in the US where they could assemble their cars, GM wanted to learn Toyota manufacturing techniques, that's where it all started.

9. LPSimpsons87

LPSimpsons87 I'm a believer, nothing could be worse...

I will watch the movie Gung Ho in memory :wtc:

10. TriShield

Bingo. Since the NUMMI partnership many GM and Toyota cars have been assembled there on the same lines by the UAW.

11. AndyB

AndyB I love you baby Kaitlyn and Dad

Don't forget to blame California's anti business practices driving a nail in that cofin.

:sadwavey: nummi

12. TriShield

:rofl: @ people thinking a startup with no real money/profit like Tesla or Fisker were going to "save" NUMMI.

13. LPSimpsons87

LPSimpsons87 I'm a believer, nothing could be worse...

14. Engineering Kid

Yes and no. GM pretty much relinquished their share of the plant a long time ago, but still had some equity in the plant up until about a year ago.

The Toyota Plant in Cambridge Ontario and the Honda Plant in Alliston Ontario, as well as the new, soon to open Woodstock Ontario Toyota plant are non union.
    The unions kept trying to break in, but after a few votes they kind of gave up.

That's what pissed me off about unions. You can hold a vote 1000 times, get 999 no votes, but if you get 1 vote where the plant votes yes....it's a union shop until it closes.

I was there when the CAW tried to crack the Cambridge plant, and the management speaking point was always "unionize if you want, but what will the CAW do for you that we aren't already?". They were pretty much the highest paid assembly plant in Canada, most workers had some technical college or at least skilled trade training; no high school dropout knuckle draggers. We had a full time massage therapist to help with repetitive strain, onsite daycare and healthy cafeteria food etc etc.

15. Engineering Kid

LOL yeah...the pickup truck bed loophole. I loved that. Toyota made pickup trucks in Japan and Mexico, but they wouldn't put the pickup truck bed onto the truck until it got to the USA.

The laws back then were based on the weight of the parts......so because the truck bed and some rear suspension parts were ~40% of the vehicle weight, they could say the truck was "MADE IN THE USA"..... lol
    But yes....fuck california and its "shit down the throat of success" approach to the manufacturing industry/

16. rgeier11

rgeier11 OT Supporter

Yeah I remember now in my labor laws class. The only Import MFG plants with UAW workers are those that are shared with domestic MFGs.

17. rgeier11

rgeier11 OT Supporter

And its funny because those non union plants offer very similar wages and benefits then UAW plants

18. TriShield

UAW will die in time (unless the Democrats keep a hold of the government). The membership is at the lowest level since WWII. The automakers they paralyze are losing their marketshare and can't support the job base.

19. ittech

ittech "If You're Not Part of the Solution, There's Good OT Supporter

shocker, it's not economically viable to pay $75/hr for an assemly line bolt monkey?

20. AndyB

They aren't paid $75 an hour.

The hourly rate including retirement obligations has GM paying out the equivalent of $75 per hour. In reality they are getting paid $25-30 an hour.

21. Engineering Kid

What happens when the government keeps buying up the unionized bailout companies? I love republicans too, but couldn't stand bush. However the government is so ballz deep with unions, I think it will be a long slow dramatic death of unions.

10 votes not to unionize a shop mean nothing....it only takes one successful union drive and the shop is pretty much union for life. Only way to end a union shop is to pull a walmart: shut down the store, fire everybody and build a new plant next to it, where you don't re-hire any of the old work force. :rofl:

I hope to see the death of the catholic church and the UAW within my lifetime though.

22. rgeier11

rgeier11 OT Supporter

But it still costs GM $75/hr...

23. TriShield

I just bought one of the last NUMMI cars too. :o

24. AndyB

yes but it's how they report it that causes the assembly line workers to get a bad image.

25. TriShield

Republicans would have let Chrysler and GM fail and go through bankruptcy (and nuke the Unions, instead of the bondholders) naturally. If they were viable they would have come back (GM, not likely Chrysler).

The UAW is a staunch base of support in the rest belt for Democrats and it epitomizes everything they really believe in, high wages for simple jobs, healthcare for life, endless entitlement, etc.

Sadly, we see what all of that has done to the hosts, bankrupted them. Our country/government isn't so much different from GM, Ford or Chrysler.