Automating Windows XP set-up stuff?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mugatu, Dec 20, 2003.

1. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

Does anyone know if certain things like setting up user accounts, various windows settings (start menu behaviour, etc.), and other settings can be automated or scripted?

I want to make a CD for my parents so that if they have to reinstall XP on their own they can just run some srcipts that automatically setup their user accounts, directories, startups, etc.

TIA

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I believe a lot of that can be automated by the OEM Preinstallation kit. Its a utility on every Windows CD that you install on a working machine, make all your configuration choices, then write a disk. Its designed for system builders that need to customise their computers. Its been a while since I've used it so I can't give specifics. Do a google search on Windows OEM Preinstallation.

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Build the computer, then ghost it into 650 megsabyte files. Burn the files to CDs, the first of them being a boot CD (you can use Win98 Emergency Disc as a bootable floppy), then just add in the ghost command to rewrite the disc again.

Can I get a hell ya for Ghost?

4. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd: Ghost is a beast.... but you don't have to go into 650MB files/ more than one disc. I've seen it before where it will compress the image onto one disc and just decompress onto the HDD. That way you can just hit go and leave it, don't worry about switching out the discs. Also all the apps they use will be right there for 'em.

Also, a good idea might be to make a different partition for their data files so if they have to wipe the system out, all the data stays intact. It will just re-ghost the one partition and leave the other one alone.

The OEM Pre-Inst. kit is another idea, I've used that to automate 2000 Pro setups before, never needed to on XP yet.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

Once you install Office, I guarantee the file will be more than 700 megs

6. Mugatu

thanks guys - I'll try mdaniel's process first, I'd rather not install any Norton software if I can help it

7. 5Gen_Prelude

Ghost is unlike any Norton product produced. I feel your pain in their other apps but this one must have been produced by some underpaid wiz right out of college.

In fact, to do what I suggest, all you need is a 700 kb app that is run in DOS.

8. Mugatu

ok, I'll try ghost (haven't been able to find a place to download OPK yet)

9. 5Gen_Prelude

BTW, OPK is good for setting up the OS, but you still have the problem with installing the apps when you're done. Ghost has no problem since it takes an exact copy of what your computer is like at the time you ghost it. In an emergency a year later, you would ghost the computer back to how it was, install SP 73, 103 security patches, and then you'd be golden.

There is one other thing it does and that is lock itself out of a domain. You just need to rejoin the domain to fix it. This only effects computers attached to a domain - workgroups aren't a problem.

10. hardware ghosting > Ghost :o

11. 5Gen_Prelude

What the hell are you talking about hardware ghosting? RAID? Doesn't help if the OS gets corrupted.

12. I'm talking about HD imagers ... they used to be suitcase sized, but recently I've seen slighly-larger-than-lunchbox portable HD diag and mirror functionality. HP used to endorse the devices in their tech training courses.

oh, :fawk:

13. 5Gen_Prelude

Hardware ghosting is essentially the same thing though - it's just that the device you're ghosting to is portable. You can do the same thing with an external drive (USB, etc...) and a boot CD/floppy. Or if you want to change the BIOS to boot the external drive you can go that route as well. Sounds like a waste of money IMO. I much prefer the flexibility that ghost provides - ghost to a network drive even.

14. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator