Automated Online Backups?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by grocerylist, Dec 27, 2007.

1. grocerylist

grocerylist New Member

Can anyone recommend a good automated online backup service? I will need approximately 20GB each morning. I've been looking around and have found companies with pricing anywhere from $15/month to $70/month.

Thanks

2. grocerylist

grocerylist New Member

No one out there that has used a remote backup service?

3. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

I have customized backup scripts that I use to backup forums and stuff like that, they can FTP them off to another server. It's what you want but it doesn't have a fancy interface or anything.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Do you have any idea how much an internet connection that can transfer 20GB before lunch will cost? You could buy your own redundant backup unit for the cost of a few months of T3 service.

5. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

What I was thinking.

I found a service a few months ago that offered unlimited space for your backups.
    I used it for a month, but by the end of the month I hadn't gotten anywhere near backing up all my files.

It was easy in that it didn't require a lot of work to get going. But I have hundereds of gigs of stuff, and if I can't get a full backup of that data in a month then I didn't see what the point was.

6. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Was it your connection that was the limiting factor or the host? Unless you have T1/T3 I would guess it was more your upload speed that was making it go so slow.

(Unless my ISP just caps upload transfers at a lot lower rate than yours)

7. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

mozy.com

8. slikz

slikz New Member

Was about to post this, looks like a pretty good solution. I'll probably end up using this for my home computer.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

And when I say you could buy a redundant backup unit for the cost of a few months of T3 service (which is what you'd need to transfer that much data that fast), I mean you could buy a ridiculously-badass setup like the robotic tape catalogue my company used to have. We got rid of it because it was more than what we needed, and we have millions of dollars of data in our office.