A&P autofocus

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by horselover fat, Jun 23, 2009.

1. horselover fat

horselover fat in your driveway stealing your internet

pics from this weekend at Mid Ohio road course, Rolex and Grand Am series

shot with a 30d 70-200mm f4 L USM

www.bukkakeninja.info/pics/30d%20-%20mid%20ohio/IMG_7033.jpg

www.bukkakeninja.info/pics/30d%20-%20mid%20ohio/IMG_7037.jpg

www.bukkakeninja.info/pics/30d%20-%20mid%20ohio/IMG_7008.jpg

www.bukkakeninja.info/pics/30d%20-%20mid%20ohio/IMG_6713.jpg

www.bukkakeninja.info/pics/30d%20-%20mid%20ohio/IMG_6689.jpg

www.bukkakeninja.info/pics/30d%20-%20mid%20ohio/IMG_6593.jpg

www.bukkakeninja.info/pics/30d%20-%20mid%20ohio/IMG_6528.jpg

looking to find out what i did wrong that made them so oof? iso to high? the specks on the sensor? not enough panning? shutter speed to slow/to fast? wrong type of autofocus, athough i used both AI servo and AI focus? should i have just panned and shot 1 shot instead of burst?

or is it that the 30d's af isnt fast enough for autosports? i have taken pics that were more in focus with my old d40 with a 55-200 3.5-5.6 afs lense

any and all advice is welcome

2. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

These all look like user error to me. The shots are not dead on; they are ahead or behind you, and with a slow(er) shutter they are going to blur. And, why did you shoot at ISO400?

3. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

The shot of the Kinetic car isnt bad, but most of them its just motion blur. Need to work on your panning a bit more.

Also, when you 3/4 a car like that at those kind of shutter speeds or lower, do not expect the entire car front to back to be in focus. Due to the physics of what is going on, the way the distances and speeds in relation to the lens are different from front to back of a car, you'll never get the entire car in focus. So as long as you have a good sharp section of the door or something to draw the eye in that is sharp, its about as good as you'll get. I try to make sure the number plates are sharp as that is naturally where the eye tends to go. But its not going to be perfect at shutter speeds in teh 1/160 or lower and obviously gets worse the slower you get.

Nothing wrong with the camera though, I had several pro friends that shot motorsports with 30Ds when those were out.

4. horselover fat

yea, is0 400 was a bumble fuck on my part

i understand i wont get the whole car in focus but from what i was able to get last year from my d40 with a crap 55-200 at the same or slower shutter speeds, idk, i was expecting more i guess(run on sentence i know)

www.bukkakeninja.info/pics/d40/flying%20lizard%20gt2.jpg

www.bukkakeninja.info/pics/d40/gt2.jpg

www.bukkakeninja.info/pics/d40/DSC_0168.jpg

www.bukkakeninja.info/pics/d40/DSC_0198.jpg

www.bukkakeninja.info/pics/d40/DSC_0235.jpg

some of those werent dead on though and they came out alot better then this weekend

but while i still have this lense ill get out more and work on my panning

5. psykosis

psykosis Go placidly amid the noise and the haste

come up here this weekend. There is a decent car show in bay harbor (google it) and they do a lot of drives, so you have still and panning opportunities.

6. horselover fat

ill think about it, how far is it from detroit? 3? 4 hours?

although i only have the lense till thursday so

7. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

slower shutter speeds are better for panning, so long as you can keep the camera together.

Apparently, you should've stayed with Nikon... :mamoru:

8. horselover fat

would have if you had sold me your d80 :naughty:

9. psykosis

3-4 hours depending on traffic. It's a bit over 3 hours to my house from Troy, and it's another hour north of my place to Bay Harbor.

10. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Looking at those photos from the ALMS, it looks like you were farther away from the subject than you were at the Grand Am event. That would mean that the pans are slower and the car is not moving through your frame as fast. That makes the pan easier.

Also there are a lot of things that go into panning. How fast the car is moving past you and therefore how fast your swing is. Is the car braking or speeding up therefore making the pan not consistent speed. Is the car bouncing or going through a bumpy section that would cause up and down movement that would blur the image.

That is just a few things. All of those things come into play. For instance, I may go to one spot and be able to pan all day long at 1/60 and get sharp image after sharp image. I may hit another spot and have to shoot at 1/160 just to get a few sharp. It could also be on the same day with the same lens at the same focal length. There are just too many variables. If its not working for you in one spot, try to find another that might work better for you.

Otherwise, the only answer is you're shooting Canon. I swear when I moved to Nikon all of a sudden my keeper ratio on pans about doubled. Really. :cool:

11. horselover fat

yea, saw your post about switching after i bought the canon

going to maybe rent the 70-200 f2.8 maybe for the next club event at Mid Ohio

from what i remember i think with the d40 it was more single shots compared to the burst i was using with the 30d

try using that instead of burst and see how well that works

im tempted to go back to nikon in the future

12. isaac86hatch

What method of focusing do you use? Half-pressed shutter button or the * button (Cfn 4-1)? Anyone still using the shutter button is missing out.

13. psykosis

More details on this?

14. isaac86hatch

You can change your focus button to be the * instead of the half-pressed shutter release. It makes shooting so much easier especially if your using AI Focus and AI Servo. Look in to custom functions.

15. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

Half shutter turns in to strictly metering, and your AF stays locked on to whatever it locked on to the last time you hit AF-ON.

Sucks for the 20/30/40/50d crew cause the grip has no AF-ON button. But I believe there's a CFN to change it to use * as well.

16. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I'm actually somewhat joking about the switch to Nikon. Yes, I am doing better, but not in terms of panning, that was a joke. You should be fine with what you're using.

That said. I use the half shutter release method, I hate the AF-ON button for focus, its much simpler with one button.

Use AI-servo on the Canon system, that is what you want so the focus can track the car.

However, you shouldnt need to worry too much about absolute focus when panning. If you're using a slower shutter speed, you'll be in an aperture area that should give you plenty of DOF as to not have it matter if the focus is off slightly. When panning, the cars all take different lines and things move around. Trying to keep your aperture in the f/8 or higher is really where you want to be. That will give you some room to work with if the focus doesnt really hang with your movement. The extra DOF shouldnt matter when it comes to backgrounds being blurred cause they'll be blurred from the movement.

Here are some pans from Le Mans. All the exif is intact for you to look at, but here are the basic settings.

1/125 f/11

[​IMG]

1/125 f/10

[​IMG]

1/80 f/11

[​IMG]

1/160 f/8 - little faster shutter but the cars were moving about 150mph + here.

[​IMG]

So dont really worry about focus, that isnt your problem here. Your gear should be doing just fine with these kinds of shots.

Also, I usually shoot bursts when panning since using slower shutter speeds, you need to get it perfect and often that sweet point is only one of of those three or four frame bursts. So I'll often shoot several shot bursts and then evaluate which of the ones that are the sharpest (if any). So dont hesitate to burst away a few frames at a time either.

17. horselover fat

what is the rule of thumb for shutter speed vs object speed?

take for example the flying lizard vs the team modena, that looks to be about the same area although i dont know if its right after a corner or a straight. but what im getting at is the fact u went with 1/125 on one and 1/80 on thee other

btw that flying lizard team porsche pic is beautiful

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  18. horselover fat

19. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

There isnt really one. Some will say 1/speed of car, but that doesnt really hold as a rule. I just use what I think will look good at a particular place.

In this case, yes, it was the same spot. It was a difficult spot because it was right at the beginning of the braking zone and therefore the cars were changing speed rather abruptly which makes a pan really hard as I said above.

In this case, I started with pans in the 1/160 range to try to just get some good ones in the bag. Then I slowly started to lower the shutter speed since the lower you can go, will always look better. In this case, the lower you go, the keeper ratio goes way down as well.

It just so happens that the FL car was shot at 1/125 and was a good sharp shot, the keeper ratio here was very low due to the braking. I slowly moved down to 1/80 as that is about as slow as I was going to attempt in that spot. I got a handful of images out of probably 50 or so frames at that speed and the Modena car was one of them. Just how it works.

That is generally how I work. I'll start higher to get the shots in the bag, the move down the shutter speed slower and slower and see what I can get. Sometimes you dont get any out of the slower speeds, sometimes, if its a good spot, you get a bunch of the slower ones and you end up not ever using the higher speed shots.

Of the D40 shots, the first one looks pretty good, but all the others are blurry. So its not about the different cameras.

20. horselover fat

thanks for the advice

ill just have to get out there some more and practice with this body more and get a feel for it

i guess i just expected it to hand me better shots on a platter so to speak