Autocar drives new 5-Series

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Redline Racer, May 14, 2003.

1. Redline Racer

Redline Racer Subaru Tecnica International

The waiting is finally over, a car with one of the hardest acts to follow has been replaced, and from what I've read I'm not exactly bowled over by the new E60.

Styling wise, I find the thing ugly as sin. One of the worst aspects of the car is the side-profile [​IMG].
    For a designer who is striving to make each BMW model look different, I find theres a worrying similarity to the new 7-Series. Also the rear wheel looks smaller than the front due to the huge expanse of metal above it.

The most important thing is how it drives. Heres a few comments by Road Tester Greg Kable, driving a 530i Sport fitted with Active Steering and Active Anti-roll bars.

The interior is controversial as well, with a simplified version of iDrive. In my opinion it looks nowhere near as good as the E39.
    [​IMG]

Specification BMW 530i Sport
    0-60mph - 6.9sec
    Top Speed - 155mph
    Weight - 1495kg

228bhp @ 5900rpm
    221lb ft @ 3500rpm
    Power to weight 152bhp per tonne

All in all, its something I really need to drive before making a final judgement. However I'd be against buying one purely because it is so damn ugly.

Last edited: May 14, 2003
  2. curiousgeorgeM3

curiousgeorgeM3 naughty little monkey

3. KW

KW Guest

Seems like BMW is trying really hard to lose sales with the styling on these new models. :( Seems like all of them would sell better if they just took the improved chassis and engines and put them back into the old skins.

4. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

The active steering sounds like it'll be difficult to adjust to. For me at least.

[Obligatory ugly comment]

5. beaniemak

beaniemak New Member

So with the 7 getting remodeled again soon, will it look more like the 5 or get something totally different? I certainly hope that they don't follow in this tradition. These cars have lost their agressive appeal. You could look at a 5 and tell it was mean, now they look like abominations.

6. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Hideous.

BMWs are fast becoming non-driver's cars with crap like i-Drive.