Auto logoff problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 4W4K3, Feb 6, 2007.

1. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

This is my new problem with my laptop.

I boot, it goes to the login screen. I login, it starts loading...and instantly logs me off.

I hear the login chime, and instantly hear the logoff chime and it returns me to the login screen.

Anyone know how to fix this? :sadwavey:

Safe mode does the same thing, I cannot access Windows. I can get to the recovery console using the XP CD.

2. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

You try last known good configuration?

3. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Yup, no worky either.

I have come to the conclusion that the only solution is to reformat/re-install. Google searches all lead to that conclusion unless I can get into the registry editor, which I can not from the Recovery console.

I called Compaq AND Microsoft, both of them told me to call the other. Hah. M$ wanted $59.99 to help me further, Compaq told me I needed to do a recovery installation (AGAIN, this is my second install that went wrong). Blah.

I guess I'll just have to suck it up and wipe it. I tried creating a new partition and saving my stuff, then deleting the old partition...that is what led to this mess. No idea Windows was so inter-twined it couldn't handle a small problem like this one. Linux would be great but on my laptop it's very hard to setup (Gentoo) and Ubuntu and RedHat are not supported graphically. Huge pain for me to properly setup everything. I've been a week without my laptop now and I'm jsut getting frustrated with "Try this, maybe it will work..." kind of solutions.

Thanks for the reply Kieffer87...I am too long winded lol

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Go into Safe Mode by pressing F8 before the Windows XP loading screen appears. Log in as Administrator -- there should be no password.

1. Right-click on My Computer and select Properties.
    2. Open the Advanced Properties tab and click the button that lets you do shit with the user profiles.
    3. Find your profile and delete all the files associated with it, but don't delete the profile itself. (You can't do that here anyway; that's done somewhere else.)
    4. Reboot and try logging in again as yourself.

NOTE: All of your documents and settings will go away if you do this. If the laptop is brand-new, like you claim, then there will be nothing to lose. This is how I fixed my user account when I had a similar problem.

5. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Starts logging in...immediately logs me off. No bueno. Does it on any account I try in safe mode and in normal boot mode.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Try a Windows Repair. If that doesn't work, it's time to bust out the Restore CD.