auto Head unit reccomendation

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Biomechanoid, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

my budget for the head unit is $600

what is a MUST is

Front L/R preouts
    Rear L/R preouts
    Woofer L/R preouts
    auxillery audio in (with support for surround/digital/SPDIF/optical input. not just stereo)

adjustable crossover for said preouts.

CD capability (MP3/satellite radio completely optional)

basically, I've got a mp3/movie/game server I've built for the truck (one of those mini ATX mobos) that I want to be able to retain it's surroundsound output, but go through the headunit for equalization of the sound before going to my amplifiers and speakers/subs.

any suggestions? I'm not brand LOYAL, per say, but I like to avoid anthing made by sony and JVC

2. Droog

Droog Guest

wow u might have taste... i have an eclipse deck with all that and i love it

3. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

model?

4. Scott P

Scott P I are lurking through. . .

you have a host of options. you can go with anything made by alpine or pioneer if you want to get their adapter that creates aux inputs. personally i would look at panasonic cqdf903 it runs under 300 and has all that you are looking for and looks fairly decent too.

5. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

try Eclipse CD8443.... I just got his deck and it's AWESOME... price range is 375-450+ i've seen..

6. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

I'm not seeing any online places that mention auxillery inputs with that model :sad2:

7. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

my curiousity about the auxillery inputs is that on all the stereo's I've seen it's been stereo auxillery, but I want to retain the surround sound output that the server is giving. I'm not finding a specs sheet for the alpine OR the pioneer adapter that says if it accepts digital/optical/SPDIF or just stereo input

8. Scott P

more than likely if you are trying to create DTS or another form of surround sound like that you are going to to need an external processor for it to truely work. That being said I have done setups in the new altimas using just the headunits, and an aftermarket sub to mimc surround sound. all you really miss is the delays the rear channels would get in a home theater setup up, but given the proximity of the full range speakers in a car that isn't really necessary. As far as the Alpine, Pioneer, and Panasonic go, they are all stereo inputs, just your simple audio left and right kind of stuff.depending how much more you wanted to spend and add you could look at dolby dts/pro logic processors from clarion, alpine, pioneer, etc, but they aren't cheap by any means.

9. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

I'm having my system professionally installed at a shop, but when I asked them for reccomendations on a headunit, they told me that I'd either have to go with an IN-dash LCD (has digital A/V in and two of them had SPDIF in/out) which is way out of my budget, or find a splitter that will take the SPDIF and split it into the 5 channels, and let them wire it to a switch box to manually switch between inputs.

I AM eventually going to put an LCD screen in the truck, but I'm looking at doing a teardown and mod of my OLD P300 laptop so that I'll have a 12" screen mounted in the passenger dash for about $100 in parts.

10. Scott P

maybe i am missing what you are saying, but let me ask this, are you mainly wanting to have a center channel speaker when all is said or done, or are you just looking for the best possible sound? if you are just looking for sound than you don't really need a processor, I would suggest using anything with aux. rca inputs and then amplifying all the speakers in the car (decent 4 channel amp will suffice). every set up i have done using a basic setup like that has sounded just as good as a cd does.

11. denim

denim New Member

my last 3 decks have been Eclipse, there is a reason for that

12. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

I'm looking for the ability to use the 5.1 surround sound output I'm getting from the mp3/DVD/video server I built for the truck. the server has the soundblaster 5.1 Live bay with numerous kinds of audio outs (optical, SPDIF, coaxial, etc.)

so far all the auxillery inputs I've seen only accept left and right input, not left front/right front and left rear/right rear. The only ones that have come close are the $1600 DVD/LCD head units, because some accept SPDIF and optical input for their auxillery audio.

[edit] the install shop said they could build a manual switch to go between the head unit and the server when they remake my center console, but just for my personal prefference, I'd like it if I could just control the server's output through the headunit [/edit]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2004
  13. parvo99

parvo99 New Member

14. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

I didn't like that unit because of the 90Db signal to noise.

I've decided to go with the new sony (nother thread about it here), as it has all I want (equalizer, 3 sets of preouts, high signal to noise, etc.) and I'll let the shop fabricate that switch.

15. 04

04 Guest

A 90dB signal to noise ratio is NOT low at all. The noise floor on your recordings is MUCH MUCH MUCH higher. Not to mention the noise floor of your car.

The spec simply does not mean anything anymore.

The maximum signal to noise ratio for a cd is ~96dB anyways.

16. pixelchemist

pixelchemist E30/Hartge Slut

that rockford is made by denon... that is an insanely good sounding HU and a insane price for it

17. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

I think I've been jaded by Rockford's subs. my 1st set of subs were cheap $25 Rockford's and ever since then, I've associated RF with n00bishness. :hs: I guess my ignorance is greater than I thought.

18. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

kinda late, but this unit has aux input... it's got everything except for screen, and 8volt preout..

19. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

Here are the specs for the 8443: http://www.eclipse-web.com/index_cdchanger.html The full catalog should have the specs. I have the 8053 and that one has a coaxial input. I dont knwo how many channels it is though. I paid $430 for my 8053 from good guys. The 8443 is advertised at tweeter for $419. These are last year's models. I dont know much about this year's models.

20. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

alpine cda-9835
    cda-7998

21. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

8443 is cheaper then 419... i think i got mine for like 350 or so like 5 months ago.. and i think that's normal price :wavey:

22. unrealii

Where did you buy it from?

23. SloD16

SloD16 Guest

I've had all eclipse decks. I had the 8051 and just recently got the 8053 and no other deck in my personal opinion can even come close to comparing to the 8053. And i work at Tweeter and the 8443 is last years model the new model is the 8453 and it features Eclipse's new E-ISERV software. It's pretty cool you should check out www.eclipse-web.com.

24. On_One

On_One Guest

:werd: Anything above 80dB is perfectly fine in the automotive enviroment.

25. unrealii

Good to hear. I have a cd8454 going in my car next week :)