MIL Autism and the military.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ecopper12, Nov 8, 2009.

1. ecopper12

ecopper12 New Member

Let me start off by saying that I am a fourteen year old autistic child. I am very high functioning though, so I have no idea why the events I am about to explain are happening.

I have always thought there was something about the military. More specifically, the Air Force. My brother was in the Air National Guard. There was a certain appeal to me about flight and heroism. It just drew me to it.

Recently I made the daring decision of joining the military when I come of age. I needed to learn what i could. I spoke with a few actual Air Force Personnel, only to find that autism is a disqualification. My hopes had been dashed.

Needless to say. I wanted to find out more. I have recruiters from the military come to the high school I am at. I asked one from every branch about joining with Autism. No dice.

It then occurred to me. Here I was, a willing young american, wanting to fight, wanting to serve, and they were not letting me. Now, how patriotic is that? No very if you ask me. Obama himself said that they shall not deny a young patriot wanting to serve. I guess I am not qualified as a person then.

Why deny someone who, even though slightly handicapped, wants to join the military. I am high enough on the autistic spectrum to function like a normal person would. I am not full on handicapped. So why would they deny me?

Please Off topic. Help me understand this.

2. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

They deny people because after you join you become a government asset and they dont want to lose any money on their assets....thats what it boils down to. Sorry

3. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Is your autism documented in your medical records?
    If so, can you get a doctor to sign off that you are fully functioning?

4. ecopper12

ecopper12 New Member

I was officially diagnosed yes. I probably could have my doctor confirm that. Would that raise my chances of being allowed?

5. Cyan Connect

Cyan Connect Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra. OT Supporter

I don't know about autism, but I had my own medical condition when I joined six and a half years ago. It took me about six months to have a waiver granted. The MEPS Doctor initially turned me down. So my Recruiter arranged for an appointment with a Civilian Doctor. The Civilian Doctor confirmed the medical condition but wrote a note saying he sees no reason why I cannot function normally in the military. My waiver was granted and I shipped off to Basic.

The best thing to do is to ask you Recruiter to have a Civilian Doctor have an appointment with you. If you really want to join, and the Doctor says your condition is not too extreme, than he or she may write you a note asking for a waiver. But it is at the Doctor's discretion.

6. Jyokker

This was the line of thinking I was going down.

7. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

I swear there was an autistic kid in Basic training with me. He was like the fucking Rain man. Go for it bro, get a doc's waiver.

8. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

I think I just dropped a box of toothpicks on the ground

9. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

My SO's cousin is autistic or something along those lines and got into the marines. He had a doctor sign off that he was okay though. Took a few months IIRC.

10. clever_username

clever_username Active Member

was prolly just stupid. we had a couple of those.

11. teabagn

teabagn New Member

It's a liability plain and simple man, good luck with trying though :)

12. Mr. Monopoly

Mr. Monopoly OT Supporter

I don't know about your chances of getting in on a waiver (last I heard, every branch was ducking the waiver folks), but you might have luck once all the joining festival is over.

13. Jyokker

dpixel8, To answer your question:
    Almost anything is waiverable. The difficulty in obtaining that waiver depends on many things. Things such as the motivation level of the recruiter, your motivation level, the medical condition of the past vs the medical condition of current, and whether or not you are currently taking any medication or should be.

It never hurts to ask, if you get a no, then ask to see policy (very politely) if none can be produced, take yourself to another recruiter.

14. evan2

evan2 Guest

The Air Force is being quite selective nowadays. We cannot simply accept everyone that wants to join our ranks in the military. We would be over manned and with our budget we simply cannot do that. So yes you have a condition that could later effect you and other people around you.

The govt has every right to turn you down. Sure it sucks to hear but I am not going to sugar coat it. I admire your desire to do this at such a young age though. I would keep doing what you can in the next four years to improve your chances.

You have time so never give up hope on your dream.

15. Cyan Connect

Cyan Connect Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra. OT Supporter

When I joined back in 2003, only the Army waivered my medical condition. They turned me down initially, but my recruiter and I persisted. After a civilian doctor had a look at me, I was eventually approved. It took me six months to get this waiver through. For me, the Air Force and Navy were out of the question from the get-go. The Air Force and Navy Recruiters did not even want to bother with trying to get me a waiver.

16. evan2

evan2 Guest

2003-2004 was a bad time to try to join the AF, we were in the middle of a reduction of 40,000 people so waivers or GEDs were going to get turned away with ease.