GUN ~~Austin's official Western U.S. hunting trip thread~~

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AustinL911, Jul 4, 2009.

1. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

DISCLAIMER: THERE WILL BE GORE IN THIS THREAD!

**I'll be updating this thread daily with pics and stuff**

A little backstory on this whole thing:

-It's been in the works for a little while now. My father, an electrical engineer, travels all over the country doing electrical design work for nuclear facilities. His current assignment just so happens to be in Eunice, New Mexico, though he's staying in Hobbs, NM. The area is about as flat as it could possibly be, dry, and HOT. "Oh, but it's a dry heat...." Fuck that. It's 98* out here.

Anyways...he's been on me to drag my happy ass out there to go hunting with him. So, I finally did. According to him, there's Cotton Tail and Jack rabbits everywhere out there, and the elusive coyote as well (though from what he tells me, they're hard to call in out there due to their plentify food supply [the rabbits]). There was also mention of some hog hunting in West Texas. Sweet. Count me in.

Plan was to fly into Houston, gawk at some Texas womenz, and then fly onto Midland/Odessa.

So, onto some pictures:

7/2/09

-First, location and terrain-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Some old WWII runway-
    [​IMG]

Like I said, hot, dry, flat, and absolutely NOTHING around. Well, besides Mexicans.

Day 1 = Pre-Game

My weapons of choice:
    -Savage 12FV chambered in .22-250 rocking a Bushnell Banner 3-9x40IR-
    [​IMG]

-Savage 93R17 chambered in .17HMR (shown here with the cheap scope that came on it-
    [​IMG]

-Scope that's on order for the .17 (should be here Monday)-
    Mueller Optics Eradicator [8.5-25x50] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-.17 in Mossy Oak Brush vet wrap (this shit's handy)-
    [​IMG]

The 12FV and scopes will also be wrapped prior to field use, but I've yet to do so.

My new camo

-Cabelas Super Mesh in Seclusion 3D Open Country pattern-
    (It's cool to wear, and I look like a bush [​IMG] )
    [​IMG]

-Camo and wrapped .17 combo-
    [​IMG]

-1st level of SKB case (thanks to Jason on here for letting me borrow)-
    (Can't take much ammo due to weight restrictions)
    [​IMG]

-2nd Level
    [​IMG]

-Ready to rock this shit-
    (awesome case BTW)
    [​IMG]

I guess I should start this out with the rounds that we have at our disposal whilst here in New Mexico. Most of the guns that fire these have been purchased within the past 3 months. My dad's been on a big bore kick lately. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyways.......

7/3/09 - Day 2

We started off early today.
    [​IMG]

We decided to start off our hunting excursion the easy way by going after cotton tail and jack rabbits for most of the morning. By 'the easy way', I mean driving around the back rounds (there are millions of access roads here) in the air conditioned truck until we spot something, hop out, shoot it, rinse and repeat. Out here, it's open season on rabbits since they fuck like....well...........rabbits. They're quite abundant around these parts.

I decided that my weapon of choice would be the trusty .17hmr. However, since mine is still awaiting a new scope, I just borrowed my dad's.
    -Remington 597 Magnum (7shot autoloader; kinda sketchy loading IMO)-
    [​IMG]

Other weapons we dragged along were:
    -Weatherby Vanguard chambered in .243Win (great gun for the $, IMO)-
    [​IMG]

-Henry lever .22-
    [​IMG]

Onto the carnage [​IMG]

Rabbit #1 - cottontail
    shooter - me
    weapon - Glock 23 (.40)
    note - shot him from about 20yd. away. I think I hit him in left side of his chest. He was still hopping around so I walked up and shot him in the face. Yes, I'm an [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rabbit #2 - Jack rabbit
    shooter - me
    weapon - 597mag (.17)
    note - these things are ugly as all fuck, and run like a god damn kangaroo.
    [​IMG]

Rabbit #3 - Jack rabbit
    shooter - me
    weapon - 597mag
    [​IMG]

Rabbit #4 - Jack rabbit
    shooter - me
    weapon - 597mag
    Note - no pic of this one. I hit it at about 150yd out and didn't feel like walking to go take a pic.

Rabbit #5 - Jack rabbit
    shooter - my dad
    weapon - Wby Vanguard .243
    Note - .243 > Jack rabbit....shot was also taken from about 125yd.
    [​IMG]

This is also a part of Rabbit #5. It was found about 40ft away from him.
    [​IMG]

Rabbit #6 - Cottontail
    shooter - dad
    weapon - Henry .22
    [​IMG]

Rabbits 1-6 were killed within about 1.5hr. We then drove around for about 3.5hr without seeing a damn thing. Highly unusual from what I'm told. Someone must have sent out a memo to the rabbits that I was in town. [​IMG]

Finally....

Rabbit #7 - Jack rabbit
    shooter - me
    weapon - 597mag
    note - shot this one off the runway I posted earlier. These thing are tough. I shot this one about 4 times before he finally died.
    [​IMG]

That was it for our hunting today. The morning started off great, but then things fell on their face. I wasn't in any rush to get my k/d ratio up. I've got another 9-10 days out here.

We dicked around for the afternoon, grabbed some dinner, hit up the local gun shop (if you want to call it that), and decided to take some of the big bores to the range. I decided that my .22-250 wasn't sufficient (for me [​IMG]) for our hog gun on Saturday night. So I told my dad I was taking one of his and wanted to put a few rounds through it/sight it in before we left for the hunt.

My hog hunting weapon of choice:
    -DPMS LR308 (16" HBAR); Millet TRS-1 scope; horrible ring setup (I'm trying to convince him to go LaRue)-
    [​IMG]

The other guns we took to the range just to shoot:

-CZ 550 Safari Magnum chambered in .416Rigby-
    (this thing kicks like a mule)
    [​IMG]

-Winchester 1895 Texas special in .405win (T. Roosevelt's 'Lion Medicine)-
    [​IMG]

-Ready to do work-
    [​IMG]

-400yd Range (abandoned airfield)-
    [​IMG]

More tomorrow............

2. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Mmmmm rabbit

3. Hedger

Hedger OT Supporter

sick! I'm fucking jealous...

4. Nolimit26927

Nolimit26927 High Class White Trash OT Supporter

:coold: looks like youre havin fun

5. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

No howitzer for home?

6. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

The .243 had the effect of a howitzer...fucking blew that rabbit apart :bowdown:

7. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

I think 243 is the most under appreciated gun out there :hs:

8. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Awesome pics man. :coold:

9. reman

reman New Member

very nice!

10. AustinL911

11. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

lol he made a classic "wat?" face

12. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

great thread man

13. AustinL911

7/4/09 = Day 3

We didn't do shit for the most part today. There was talk of going out to slaughter some more bunnies, but we decided to get some rest instead for our hog hunt that was planned for the night.

As was stated earlier, I decided to use my father's DPMS LR-308 for our hog hunt. At first, I thought it might have been a bit overkill. I've never been hog hunting before, so I was expecting to see 1.......maybe 2 small hogs. However, after talking to our 'guide', I learned that these things run in packs, sometime up to 300+ in numbers and 500+lb. [​IMG]. It was then that I realized, I brought the PERFECT gun for this mission.

We met up with our guide, Abe, at around 5:30pm and drove 10 miles east of Hobbs, NM, and then 30 miles up the state line to one of our hunting spots. Our guide, Abe, is certainly a character. He is the spitting image of what I'd picture a Texas rancher. Picture a lanky Yosemite Sam, with gold teeth, and a sick-ass Howa .223 set up for hog hunting. Abe has a friend, John, who met up with us a bit later on our quest for some hogs. Both of these guys were some seriously good dudes. The stereotype for Texas hospitality shines through here. These guys are also SERIOUS about hunting hogs. They go out 2-3x every single week. There's endless hogs to hunt out here. If you've ever seen the special on the Discovery channel, you'd know that Texas actually has a hog problem. They multiply like crazy and destroy everything they touch. We went out with one goal in mind: Kill as many as you can. Pssh. Sounds good to me. [​IMG]

We arrived at our first location around 6pm and got started right away. We loaded our gear into the bed of Abe's white Dodge Ram; my father hopped into the passenger seat with his Wby Vanguard .243, and I jumped into the bed with what I thought was a trusty LR-308. I'd learn later that it wasn't as trusty as I would have liked.

We took off down our first access round. Abe's got several farmers that give him permission to hunt their land, mostly to try to save their crops (peanuts). The basic idea of hog hunting is to drive around the crop fields (circles) and keep your eyes open. About 5 minutes into our hunt we spotted a young coyote about 600yd out. Abe and I took up positions on the backside of a small sand dune. This same sand dune was what ultimately fucked up my night. I mono-pod'd the LR-308 off the magazine on top of the dune and waited while my dad tried to call in the coyote for a closer shot. Unfortunately, this coyote was not interested in our sales pitch. In fact, he pretty much ignored it completely and took off the opposite direction. After wallering around in the sand for about 15 minutes, we decided that to continue on with our hog hunt.

We glassed the Texas fields for hours without seeing anything. Abe wasn't discouraged. He preferred the night hunts anyways. At around 10pm we moved to another location where we met up with Abe's buddy, John. John's a hell of a good dude, and hilarious too. John took up the position beside me in the bed of Abe's truck and off we went again. At this point, it's raining fairly hard. We're on my first ever hog hunt, in the middle of the fucking desert, and it's somehow raining. That's my luck.

While riding in the bed with John, I learned a bit more about how they hog hunt. What I learned was that they will drive around with multiple spotlights (it's legal. [side note- pig eyes don't glow when a spotlight hits them, :/ ]) until they find a pack, sneak up on them (if they can), blast as many as they can while they're sitting still, and then run them down in the truck and shoot as many as you can. I pictured the scene from that Jurassic park movie where they chase the dinosaurs down with the Jeeps. Only, instead of trying to put a noose around their neck, we're trying to put a bullet in their head. [​IMG]

We drove around for hours. John and I are soaking wet, and though we're in the desert, it's cold. Remember that new mesh camo I bought? Yeah, bad idea for hunting at night. But, we finally had some luck come our way. At about 3:30am, John spotted a pack of about 12 pigs running along the edge of a field, parallel to us. GAME ON. Abe stompped on the gas to try to head them off. We cut down another access road to get in front of the pigs. About 300yd before they got to us, they took a hard turn to their left. John turns to me and said, "Let'em have it!" I took up position on the bedrail of Abe's truck. I zero'd in on the general area that they were in and attempted to hit a few of them. My problem was, I could barely see shit. Between my rain-soaked scope lenses, and a distance that the spotlight barely reached, I was essentially firing blind (not a big deal out here, there isn't shit for miles). Anyways, I cut loose a couple 110gr hollowpoints, having no idea if I'd actually hit anything.

It was at this point that the actual chase begain. Abe stomped on it again, bouncing off through the fields to catch up with the pack (apparently these things can run at up to 40+mph [​IMG]). We catch up to them fairly quickly, probably because we were going 60mph through a dirt field. John and I are bouncing everywhere, just trying to hold on. We get into firing range, about 30ft to the back and left side of the pack. I take a general aim at the biggest one, click the selector switch to fire, and squeeze the trigger. CLICK!.................[​IMG]. No BANG. At this point everyone else is cutting loose on the pack. My father had his .243 hanging out the window, and John's standing behind the cab with his .357 Blackhawk. I give the 19rd magazine a good WHACK, and attempt to rack the charging handle. No dice. Remember that retarded ring setup my dad went with on this gun? Yea, it pretty much fucked me. I could barely get ahold of the charging handle to attempt to pop the carrier loose. I tug and tug and tug but it won't fucking budge. I drop the mag, and start beating on the charging handle. All the while, WWIII is going on around me. I hear shell casings hitting the bed floor as John's reloading. Dude is tearing them up. I finally get the bolt carrier un-stuck. Drop the round in the bed, tap the mag on a cooler to try to dislodge some sand and slam it back into the magwell. I hit the bolt release and it slams forward. I take a quick look at the carrier to make sure it's in full battery;........it's not [​IMG]. It's stuck about 1/2" from full battery. So, I drop the mag again, and attempt to pull the charging handle AGAIN. Again, it's fucking stuck.

At this point, we're going through some rough terrain and it's all I can do to keep from getting tossed out of the truck. The packs split up, and we are chasing after a lone two hogs. I drop the gun in the bed because I'm tired of fucking with it (I'm also questioning myself at this point as to why I decided to leave my G23 at home. I didn't think I'd need it [​IMG]). I grab a spotlight instead in hopes of helping the other guys do something productive. I see a hog or two take a couple rounds to their rear and drop off.

We stop the truck and everyone gets out to B.S. about it and laugh. I pick the LR-308 back up and manage to get the carrier unstuck again. We all dick around with it for about 10-15 minutes, but it's got entirely too much sand stuck in it. The carrier won't close to save it's life (or to end a pig's life [​IMG] ).

We get back in the truck to retrace our path and to see what kind of damage we (they) did. Unfortunately, we only find one. These things (pigs) are built like a fucking tank. They can take several bullets and still run off pretty much unphased. John lets us know that he's confident he hit atleast 4 of them due to watching them drop off from the pack, but we can't find them anywhere. My dad's unsure if he even hit any. Scoped guns aren't condusive to up close running and gunning hunting.

We spend the rest of the morning trying to find the pack again, but were unsuccessful. John shot a a few coyotes but never did hit any. I took a shot at one with the .243 that was well over 1000yd out with no expectations of actually hitting it. [​IMG] We only had the .243 dialed in to about 300yd and I had no numbers to go off of to compensate for the yardage; so I guessed. The first shot was well over his head, the 2nd was about 50yd in front of him which was apparently too close for comfort because he took off.

We stayed out til sunrise looking for some more coyotes but failed to see anymore. At about 8am, we called it quits.

We went home cold, wet, and tired but I had an absolute BLAST. This type of hunting > *.

[​IMG]

*Pics to come. Will proof-read later*

14. AustinL911

I guess I should also mention that I know why the LR-308 fucked up. My father likes to take care of his guns, which is understandable, but sometimes he gets a bit excessive. When he oils the gun, he OILS the gun. I'm talking everything. It all gets drenched. Upon throwing it in the sand where it belongs, the sand sticks to everything and now you've got a completely useless gun. I'm convinced that had it been dry, the sand would have fallen right back out, and my hog count would have been higher than 0.

Anyways, here's some pics. I didn't get a whole lot of them since I was too busy trying to kill something.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. AustinL911

[y]ijAH0gVnJ1U[/y]

16. AustinL911

lulz from another forum I'm on:

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Fucking people will bitch about anything.

17. Hooch

Hooch New Member

Those Burris XTR rings on that 308 are a solid as fuck platform, why would you think Larue's overpriced shit would be better?

18. AustinL911

I'm not saying they're not solid. They just set the scope too far rearward and it makes getting to the charging handle one giant pain in the ass.

One of those LaRue mounts that shifts it forward about 2" would be prime.

19. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

I hate people who say stupid things

20. AngryPotato

AngryPotato New Member

This thread delivers.

21. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

seems like a shotgun with buckshot would be a good choice if you're within 30 feet of the targets as you say.

although if those fuckers can take a rifle rounds and run off I guess buckshot would be a minor tickle.

22. AustinL911

Abe told us that he's tried it multiple times. They just run off unphased. :eek3:

23. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

maybe if you could afford it and could really dial it is, slugs would be a possiblity.

or fuck, why else would they make semi-auto .50BMGs except for a purpose like this

get a Barrett M82A1, put an EOtech or aimpoint on it for CQB, and go to fuckin town.

24. AustinL911

That's what I'm probably gonna use this coming Saturday for our 2nd trip. I didn't realize they did this run and gun shit. Fuck I wish I'd have brought my Saiga 12. :hs:

...or my AK-47. I'm pretty sure it fuck'em up as well. :bowdown:

25. AustinL911

7/5/06 = Day 4

I slept. [​IMG]

7/6/09 = Day 5

Rabbit #8 = Jackrabbit
    shooter - me
    gun - 597mag
    note- BOOM! Head shot! (.17 to the back of the head)
    [​IMG]

Rabbit #9 = Jackrabbit
    shooter - me
    gun - 597mag
    Note - I think this was a ~125yd. shot per the range finder
    [​IMG]

view of truck from rabbit #9
    [​IMG]

Rabbit #10 = Jackrabbit
    shooter - me
    gun - 597mag
    [​IMG]

Rabbit #11 = Jackrabbit
    shooter - me
    gun - 597mag
    note- shot this one twice. Once in the mid section, and then one to the back of the neck. Both from ~100yd.
    Side note - I <3 the .17HMR
    [​IMG]