GUN Austin's AR-15 build-up thread #1

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AustinL911, Jun 18, 2008.

1. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Finally decided (mostly) on the route I want to go with atleast one of my new lowers and uppers. I think for my first build, I'm gonna go with a 24" varmint/target setup since it would probably be the most useful to me at this point. The other option I was considering (and it'll probably be build #2) was a 10.5" SBR, but decided I don't want to deal with the NFA crap right now.

So, to start off; here's a tentative parts list:

-MEGA stripped upper receiver - $110
    -MEGA stripped lower receiver - $105
    -Rock River Arms lower parts kit - $75
    -MagPul enhanced trigger guard - $20
    -Timney 3lb. single stage skeletonized ( :coolugh: ) match trigger - $230
    -Full KNS pin setup - $55
    -MagPul PRS stock w/ A1 buffer tube - $260
    -Olympic Arms Pneumatic buffer - $55
    -Young Mfg. national match bolt carrier group - $230
    -Black Rifle Works upper parts kit - $40
    -White Oak Armament custom 22-24" varmint barrel w/ threaded muzzle, stainless fluted - Haven't priced, but I'd guess around $400
    -JP Tactical stainless bull barrel compensator - $100
    -Falcon Industries ERGO grip w/ palm swell - $55
    -Millet TRS scope 4-16x50mm illuminated Mil-Dot ( :bigthumb: ) - $350
    -Larue Tactical LT-104 scope mount - $200
    -forearms - unsure
    -Bipod -
    -sling -

Total - $2,285 ( ouch :wtc: ) + s/h and other crap

Gonna start ordering parts soon and will post up progress pics as I move along.

Donations welcome.

2. Initial E

Initial E New Member

pics son

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Dear god $55 for kns pins? What else does that replace other than the trigger and hammer pin? Why a penumatic buffer, I thought the main benefit from those was rate limiting for auto guns?

Also I think adco sells the rra lpk without trigger for like $30 less. Never hurts to have spare parts but if you wanted to save some bucks....

Sounds like it will be quite a build!

4. AustinL911

I just figured I'd go with all the KNS pins. Trigger, hammer, takedowns, and one other that I forgot. Also, this list is tentative, so I'm not sure about the pneumatic buffer. I just figured it'd be smoother and quieter than a spring setup, and it sounded like a good idea. Price isn't that bad either.

Oh, and thanks for the heads up on the LPK. I thought $75 sounded awfully expensive.

Only parts in my inventory right now are the receivers, so pics are minimal.

5. That is an absurd amount of money to spend on an AR. What is the intended use for this gun?

6. AustinL911

ponies.

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

If it were me...I'd ditch the kns kit and pneumatic buffer. Midway often has the entire dpms kit on sale for around $40 if you can wait a little bit. I'm still not sure how I feel about all the parts kit voodoo. If you're going with a 3rd party trigger anyway I don't think I'd spend much on it. If you were just set on spending the money I think I'd put it toward a billet upper instead but I also wouldn't spend $110 on a stripper forged upper either.

Ymmv.

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

For that kind of money you could commision a Ar smith to build you a rifle. Also you forgot the most important part which is the optics.

Is this a varmit gun or some sort of bench rest gun? not really what I'm about but if that's you intended usage it's ok.

9. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

yeah the pnumatic buffer really doesn't do anything, except reduce the spring noise of the gun. Guess it would be kind of cool in a suppressor build. If you want to reduce recoil/build a flat shooting gun you get more with a lightened buffer, lightened bolt, adjustable gas block, and a good comp.

10. AustinL911

and I might. Like I said, nothing's set in stone. This is just my preliminary list of 'want' parts.

I'm still going to do my research first to find what is/isn't needed, and where I can find them the cheapest.

11. AustinL911

It does seem like a lot of money once I added it all up. I'd like to build my first few ARs just to get them under my belt.

Optics were on the list. Millet TRS 4-16x50. Not top of the line, but I've read great reviews on them. The Larue mount is also iffy. I'm not sure I want to drop $200 on a freakin' mount just yet. :ugh:

Gun will be mostly target/fucking around, but secondary usage will be destroying prairie dogs. :mamoru:

Overall goal that I'm going for is deadnuts accuracy. Not sure if the NM bolt carry group, or the Timney trigger would be necessary (they are rather $$$), but I figured I'd throw them in there just incase.

12. I surely wouldn't spend $200+ on a scope mount for a gun whose use is "target/fucking around." A decent set of rings is perfectly good for that use. Not only that, but a gun for that use could probably be built for half your price (not including optics) and it would serve you just as well.

13. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I would definately put more money into the scope. I would not go with a 24" barrel. I would go 20 at most. Larue makes a good mount, a good scope with shitty rings are garbage. For inexpensive the warne rings are pretty good.

You got a lot of stuff on there that is really expensive for marinal gains. Dead nuts accurate is as much scope, ammo and shooter as well as gun. I know this is the internet and people talk more than do but you need to work out your intended usage and then work out a budget.

I would go with a basic dpms flat top with low profile gas block 20" complete rifle. Then a varabile power 3x9 scope maybe a IOR or metopa. Then put the rest of the money into quality ammo. Shoot out the barrel and then later rebarrel with a jp, noveske, or white oak 20". This would be a decent all around rifle and would be good for rodents out to 400 if you had good ammo and shot well enough to hit them at that distance.

14. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

i wouldnt bother with the kns takedown pins.they dont lock into the receiver like the normal pins.i bought a set and took them right out after finding out they dont completely lock in.so if you ever break the rifle down,theres a good chance you could loose those pins
    eta*
    another thing,that PRS is heavy.i`m taking mine off and tossin on a normal run of the mill A2 stock

15. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I agree with the above, in that you are spending a lot of money here on stuff that probably won't make much of a difference.

I'd ditch the Buffer, and the brake. You are building a heavyweight here, that shoots a light round. Recoil is going to be pretty much dick anyways, and brakes are loud as hell (I personally think that they suck except for in specialized applications).

You also aren't getting much in terms of ballistics going with a 24" tube that you won't have with a 20". I'd toss the long/heavy stuff and build for balance.

Your list seems pretty decent, albeit very expensive. It appears you are paying full retail for just about everything, which is never a good idea. I'd personally take the money saved from ditching the above and buying some stuff used to apply towards better optics. A Leupy VXIII 3.5X10x40 will run you about $4-450. Send it to Leupy for their M1 knobs ($135) and you will have awesome glass for little money over the Millet.

16. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I would definately get the a real good comp for a varmit gun. Yes with a heavy bull barrel and all that weight it is going to be real soft and suck up most of that felt recoil. What the comp will do is flatter what's left of the recoil so you get to "see the movie" in the scope. That is your 40 grain sierra turning a furrball into red mist.

17. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

That's a lot of money into an AR. I think you could do without a lot of your list and do a lot better by putting the money into ammo. That said, I wouldn't hold it against you if you built it anyway just because it's entertaining :)

What is Steve's (from Adco) sig....."it's the singer, not the song"....and he's the one dealing crack...err...AR parts to his junkies.