GUN Aussie Govt calling for national gun controls ON AIRSOFT

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Jan 9, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21023502-1702,00.html

This story is from our news.com.au network Source: AAP
    Call for national replica gun controls

* January 07, 2007

THE New South Wales Government wants tougher import regulations for replica and toy weapons and uniform laws to prevent them crossing state borders.

Since 1999, 34 replica weapons seized by police were found to have been converted into firing weapons, Police Minister John Watkins said today.

Replica weapons were mostly illegal in NSW and their use in crime carried the same penalties as using real weapons, but not all Australian states were as strict, Mr Watkins said.

"In NSW we regard replica firearms as a prohibited weapon, but in Western Australia they are defined as a toy," he said.

"Police tell me there is a growing trend of replica handguns being used in violent crimes, including armed robbery, assault and intimidation.

"It's vitally important that other states and territories follow our lead in prohibiting replica firearms as this will limit the number crossing the NSW border."

Mr Watkins called on the Federal Government to introduce an offence for cross-border replica firearms trafficking, similar to the laws that prohibit trafficking of real firearms.

He also urged tighter import controls.

Detective Superintendent John Kerlatec from the Firearms Crimes Squad said differentiating between real and replica weapons was difficult even for experts.

"Replica pistols could be used daily against members of our community," Supt Kerlatec said.

"We are talking about victims of crimes who have been subjected to a life-changing experience. They suffer psychological stress, emotional trauma for many years.

"It's pretty difficult to tell the difference between a fake gun and a real gun, we don't want anyone to have to make that decision."

Only armourers, theatre groups and other legitimate persons who applied for a replica permit were permitted to hold the weapons.

2. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

:rofl:

Converting airsoft guns into real firing weapons, mmmk.

3. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

I hope the earth blows up someday from all the stupid

4. Gimik

Gimik New Member

jesus fucking christ on the cross. I can't believe how stupid people are.

I cracked myself up the other day cuz there was lint on my shirt and I thought to myself "I wish it could be like gun control, and I could just ban lint" then I banned lint and it didn't do anything :wtc:

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

In all fairness they're talking about replicas, not airsoft. To my knowledge these are usually metal guns that cycle and fire blanks. http://www.9mmblankgun.com/proddetail.php?prod=PMOD2006N

I certainly wouldn't try to load a real cartridge in a pot metal toy but...

6. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

so it was like gun control. :rofl:

7. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

I was just going by the thread title that says, "Aussie Govt calling for national gun controls ON AIRSOFT ".

;)

8. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Oh I understand that. I'm mostly commenting on the "ban anything that looks like a gun" mentality.

9. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

True enough not sure if they are including airsoft in this, alot of the replica ban stuff coming out of Aus and UK usually mention airsoft as well this one doesn't specifically say anything mentioning them. :dunno:

10. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

im pretty sure airsoft guns are illegal here already, atleast in the eastern states... this is talking about the replica guns the ones used as movie props or the metal ones that look like they can be cocked...

i know in my state that anything that fires a projectile is considered a firearm; speargun, bb gun, crossbow (more illegal than a regular pistol btw) etc etc...

11. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Maybe if their regular gun laws weren't so strict, people wouldn't have to resort to converting air softs.

If they are intent on committing a crime with a firearm... they will find a way. Period.

Pretty soon they'll have to ban cell phones, because they can be used in making bombs. Dorks.

Oh... and 34 since 1999? Get a fucking life.

12. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

:bowrofl:
    Post of the week nomination. :x:

13. thebox

thebox New Member

dunno if i want to :rofl: or :barf:

14. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt New Member

governments around the world crack me up sometimes

in the UK just about every kind of gun bar double barrel shotguns and bolt action rifles are banned

but airsofts and replicas are free for all from toy stores

in Australia semi automatics, pump action shotguns are banned but pistols are ok and generally centerfire rifles are ok

but airsofts and replicas are banned

as I read it, replicas are harder to get than real guns

are English speaking western societies so different?

15. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

:hsugh:

If youre talking about airsoft, the local walmart sells them. Hell, Ill bet the guys that set up at the flea markets will sell them to children. You can get them online from websites.

I have a couple that I used to screw around with. A riot shotgun style that I painted the orange tip, an M16 that I found out actually will hold a real bayonet, a gas pistol, and a couple el cheapo ones I picked up for about $3 each at the local flea markets