Audiophiles unite!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Zemo, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Zemo

Zemo n00b of the year

I'm new here, but definetly not new to audio! I just wanted to say hi, and see what "level" of the audiophile bug has been spread here. To give you an idea how afflicted I am, here's my rig:

-Heavily modded E-mu 0404 soundcard
    -AH! Njoe Tjoeb CD4000 CD player
    -self made interconnects
    -Plinius 9100 integrated amp
    -Audioquest Bedrock bi-wire speaker cables
    -Vandersteen 2Ce Signiature speakers
    -Various headphone amps of my own design
    -Sony MDR-SA5000 headphones
    -4G 20gig ipod (I got it for free, so no flaming!)
    -Westone UM2 canal phones.

I'm thinking of adding a sub to my speaker rig....maybe a Velodyne DD-10? Opinions?

I'd love to hear what kind of audio setups you guys got goin' on!

-Z

2. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Hey, I was thinking about picking up an E-mu because it seems like it integrates 3rd party DSP plugins very easily... is that true? I'm trying to do some digital room correction convolution stuff but I'd like to make sure EVERYTHING runs through the filters, not just Foobar or some other purpose-oriented audio player.

3. Zemo

Zemo n00b of the year

I havn't ever messed with 3rd party plugins via the 0404 much, because I havn't needed to. I generally do all of my mastering effects through rackmounts.

I would, however, highly reccomend you use foobar. It's got a bit of steep learning curve, but if you're interested, I can link you to a guide I wrote for it that should get you up and running pretty quickly.

-Z

4. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

My ultimate goal with this is to use the DRC frequency and phase correction in my car install (haven't seen anyone do this yet, but I'm building a CarPC so I figure it's worth a shot). Foobar would cover my audio needs, but I'll also be using plugin filters for electronic crossovers, which means if I had any system sounds (movies, windows, games, etc) that DIDN'T come from foobar, it would not go through the xovers and would subsequently cook my tweeters after briefly sounding like complete ass. If I can apply DSP convolution and FIR filters at the output level through a pro-level card, I would never have to worry about that. The 0404 doesn't have enough outputs to do that of course, I'd need one of the upper end E-Mu cards.

5. Zemo

Zemo n00b of the year

Well, when the issue is to cook your tweeters or not, I would not trust electronic xovers. I'd go ahead and cook up an RC or RL first order crossover...and what the hell are you trying to do, with frequency and phase correction in a car?

You know the level of complex mathematics needed to figure out what the frequency response and nominal phase distorition of a car interior is, not to mention having 4 speakers, plus people? And even with a time coherent image (which you'd never achieve) you'd only have a very narrow sweetspot, likely in the middle of a seat cushion or something. It's just not worth it.

What I'd do (so I don't have to drop $500 on a multi-out emu), is use the 0404, with it's left and right outputs, and build an amp with 4 speaker outs, a sub out, and tunable xovers. The only tricky part would be the powersupply, but a simple switch mode supply should work fine.....step it up to 24v or so for a quad set of gainclone type amplifiers for you car...that'd kick some serious arse!

-Z

6. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Sounds like you really know your stuff. I'm not sure if there are really many in here that can truly claim to be an audiophile like yourself. 04 is one of them (he is a mod in this subforum). I would call myself an audiophile in training, even though most of my friends who have little to no clue about audio would describe me as one.

My setup is as follows:
    Computer/Home:
    Chaintech AV-710 sound card
    Airtunes
    Adcom GTP-500 Preamp
    NAD C352 2-Chan. Integrated Amp
    NHT SB3 Speakers
    NHT sw10ii Sub
    Technics turntable (pretty old with a new decent cartridge)
    Klipsch Promedia 4.1 computer speakers

Headphones:
    HeadRoom Little headphone amp
    Sennheiser HD600 headphones

Car:
    Eclipse 5444 HU
    Polk Audio C400.4 ([email protected]) Amp (bridged to 2 channels)
    JL 250/1 monoblock
    Polk Audio MM6 speakers (6 3/4" woofer, 1.5" tweeter)
    JL 12w7v2 subwoofer

Monster Cable cables throughout all setups (yea, I need to start making my own interconnects).

Anyway, welcome to the forum, sounds like you might be a good resource here.

7. Zemo

Zemo n00b of the year

Good stuff, man! AV-710 ain't bad...kickass price/performance ration. Then again, an A2Zs does sound a bit better. If you're looking for a good music soundcard, definetly check out the E-mu 0404. Direct comparison with my $1300 standalone CD player, they sound very close. Nice choice with the NAD too, those are some solid performers. I've had to repair a couple of those...very solid build inside.

Good headphones too, I used to own some HD600's, but I'm just not a huge fan of the sennheiser sound. And the amp....well...I don't know what this forum's rules about self advertising are (let me know, and I'll edit this bit), but I own Z-audio. I design and build headphone amplifiers, and really, you can do much better than headroom for a fair bit less. My top amp will be able to make shortwork of the blockhead. ;)

My site is www.z-audio.com, but thanks to my crappy webhosting company who forgot to pay their bills or something, it's down, and I can't get control of the domain to change the DNS entries to point to my new webhosting. In the mean time, I registered z-audio.net, .org, .info, and .biz. Those are ALMOST up...feel free to check 'em out! Nothing exciting on there right now, as I discontinued my current line of amps. I'll be introducing 5 very promising new amps in about 1.5 - 2 months!

Anyways, enough advertising....

Glad to be here!

-Z

8. veonake

Yea, I'm a college student and just felt that I needed to replace my SB Live! Platinum card. I really wanted the EMU 0404 but can't afford it right now.

About my amp, I realize it is overpriced, but I was a bit naive when it came to headphone amps at the time. PM me a link to your website and info about your amps if you'd like. I can't buy one now but maybe I will look in the future. If I wasn't taking summer classes this year I probably would just build my own.

9. Nick6

Nick6 New Member

Great site man! As far as I know, no one should find a problem with you advertising your site a little.

10. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

That's a good looking site, i love the guys who make their own shiet, good job broly.
    Anyway, I'm looking at getting a new system. Currently my system, is okay now.

Amp/Preamp: NAD 304 Integrated Amplifier 35 watts/chan @ 8 ohms
    Source: Denon 680 (lol, 20 bucks canadian)
    Speakers: Axiom ax2+2 and an Athena P3 Subwoofer

I want to upgrade my components to

Amplifier/Preamp: Sonic Impact or Teac A l700
    Source: Probabaly the same
    Speakers: Magnepan MMG W.
    and i've gotta get some interconnects somewhere down the road.

Anyway guys, you're probably thinking WTF is a Sonic Impact or Teac A l700. It's a digital amplifier. Class T or so they call it. The sound of Class A/B with the efficiency of Class D amplification. In other words, HUGE watts. People claim that they sound like tube amps. I forgot which one in particular, but they compared these products to some 8 wpc tube amp VERY favorably. Lemme know what you guys think. They look so promising, and have audiophiles scratching their heads.

Zemo, what do you make of these new amps?

11. veonake

Are you referring to the amp they tested on tnt-audio.com? It costs around $30 and they say it performs on par with amps costing 100 times the price? Sounds interesting, but it isn't huge watts. The one I think they reviewed put out around 10 watts, but they can drive very high efficiency speakers well. Maybe there are other ones that put out more power. Let us know if you get one.

12. itr452

Yep, i'm referring to that one, but the one on the TNT site called it somewhat of a revolutionary product, even moreso than the BBE built NAD 3020. It's low wattage, but these are as others have exclaimed "BIG WATTS". I'm big on the dollar/performance ratio. I'm not going to get that one, but i'm going to get the Teac version. Basically the same thing, but with a nicer case, and more room to work with inside the Chasis. The teac is rated at 30 wpc, and it's using the Tripath 2050 chip. I'm just so damn excited about it's modding potential.

Prior to that i was contemplating a Jolida 301 Hybrid amp. Anybody got first hand experience with digital amps?

13. itr452

Just a follow up. My new setup, albeit cheap

Amplifier: Teac AL700P
    CD player: Samsung 841
    Speakers: Axiom AX2+2
    Speaker cables: TNT tristars with bananas

I've had the teac running close to 100 hours, it should be more revealing with 100 more hours, but as is, it's absolutely astounding, and this is a bone stock unit. I'm going to be pulling out the centre channel and tinker with an SLA battery. It's quite the fantastic value. for $100 an amp, make monoblocks outta em. Try it yourself, 100 stretches a long way with tripath amps.

14. veonake

Ok, I'll be first to start a little controversy. There's no real "burn-in" period for solid-state amplifiers. Warm-up after say 30 minutes, sure.

15. Ronin

Ronin Guest

wow thread revival

16. itr452

The teac and more appropriately, the Tripath chip used to power this unit doesn't really qualify as a solid state, nor a tube, it's a chip based amplifier board. I really don't know how to describe it, but for 100 dollars, you really cannot go wrong. i mean, it has crappy binding posts, but unlike the sonic impact unit, it has a decently sized power supply and more guts than the sonic impact. I really encourage people to at least try it out. As of now, i have both a sonic impact and teac unit, both powered by tripath. I'm very confident that the mass produced products in the audio market will adapt the digital chips, as they are cheaper to produce and sound far better than the conventional stuff going around now. Not to mention, they're cheap and easy to modify.

Do check out www.audiocircles.com and audioasylum.com there's been a lot of talk and discussion on these chip based amplifiers. I myself know nothing about the specifications, but what i do know is that the sound that these amplifiers put out are nothing short of amazing.

I'm not sure if anybody here is familiar with the Bel Canto Evo series of amplifiers, but they have a $3000 amplifier that is running off tripath powered circuitry. Quite impressive if you consider Bel Canto are well known for their Tube amplifiers.

17. edrox

edrox A good man, and thorough

The system I like to listen to the most:

Thorens TD316 turntable
    Grado F-1 cartridge
    Audio Research SP-3 Tube preamp
    McIntosh 225 Amplifier
    Dahlquist DQ-10 speakers (with upgraded tweeters)
    Jamo 12" sub (weak link - meh - )
    Phillips CD-80 CD player
    Kimber Cable interconnects and speaker wire
    high-grade LP (Dire Straits, Miles David, Dave Gruisin, whataever I am in the mood for)
    Lay-Z-Boy
    Dewar's 12 yr old Scotch