Audiophiles - Opinions on RTAs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cassetti, Jun 10, 2007.

1. cassetti

cassetti New Member

Hey all!

Little brief history, Spent 2 - 3 years as a teen learning everything I could online and in books about sound and acoustical engineering. I even have read the loudspeaker design cookbook cover to cover several times (AMAZING Book - READ IT if you never have!!)

Needless to say Being the budget consious kid I was, I learned everything about how to properly install and tweak car audio and home theater systems.

Due to my limited budget, I could never take the next step into Real Time Analyzers.

I am now 23, with a few thousand in play money for two big projects:
    - Build a new home theater system (Dual 8" mids, 2 silkdome tweets per front L/R, MTTM configuration and single 15" subwoofer)
    - moderate 4-way SQL budget car audio system (2-way componets up front, 8inch midbasses in rear, ported sub in trunk, 30band eq for fine-tuning system)

Obviously i need a real time analyzer for all my experiments (i'm still learning about acoustics, and a little rusty on some of the math) But i'm not sure which way to proceed.

What are your thoughts on those simple Hand-held RTA's - the ones that give you a general idea. Would those be sufficient for tweaking a system and testing a system's performance. Or would it be better to go with a tabletop RTA like the Rion SA-25?

Any advice for a newb? I have time to learn how to use em - so thats no worries - but I want to make a purchase (under $500) for either a new or used RTA. And i want to make the most out of my money.

Thanks!

2. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

This is not the right place for this question. Go over to diyaudio.com, head-fi.com, avsforum.com, etc and people with a lot more knowledge in this side of things will be able to help you better.

3. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

to be honest, when i was in car audio, we attempted to set up a car using RTA. it was close to flatline and the car sounded like shit. then we set the car up by ear, and it sounded amazing. diamond speakers and amps, alpine hu (before they were shit) 9815 i think. the customer heard the car both ways. we didn't tell him which was which, but he didn't like the sound using RTA.

bottom line, your ears will be a much better judge than a mic and a graph.