Audio, USB just stopped working correctly. Please help?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Papa Sil, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Papa Sil

Papa Sil Privileged User

Yesterday I go to plug my BlackBerry to my PC to transfer a file. I hook it up, but Windows does not recognize it. The Blackberry starts charging like it always does, but it doesn't ask me if I want to turn on mass storage mode like it always does upon linking to the PC.

Later on that day I try to play a song and get an error prompt stating that there might be a problem with my sound device, yadda yadda yadda. Hmmm... So I look down at my system tray and notice no speaker/volume icon.

I then try to link my iPod to my PC to transfer some songs and it reacts in a similar way that my BB was acting. When connected it starts charging like normal - it is getting power from the USB, but the PC does not recognize it and will not show as a removable drive...

I've looked through my device manager to see if there were any problems, but nothing is reporting at inoperable.

This all just happened in a day. Now, I don't know if these two problems are related to the same instance or if they're isolated, but it's damn irritating.

Thanks for any insight to my problem here.

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Did you try a different USB port?

3. Papa Sil

Papa Sil Privileged User

All of them yield the same result. My printer is hooked into one of my USB ports so I checked to see if XP was still recognizing it and it is...

Also, update. I have since downloaded another legacy driver to see if that would remedy my sound issue. It didn't. There is still no speaker icon in my system tray.

What I did do, however, is for the heck of it I turn my speakers all the way up manually and when I do there is a faint alarm-type sound going off. Kind of like an ambulance and it just keeps cycling. When trying to play any sound file, though, it still doesn't work.

What in the HELL is this? :hsugh:

4. Doc Brown

You didn't by chance use one of the system cleaners like CCleaner recently, did you?

5. Papa Sil

Papa Sil Privileged User

Nope. Just happened without having any sort of hardware or software installation/downloads. Nothing was changed on my PC when this occurred.

I tried system restore to several points dating before I noticed this problem - still nothing. This is just plain weird.

6. Doc Brown

Well another possibility, is hardware issues. Like memory failing, or a psu failing.

:dunno:

7. forgotmyname

forgotmyname Active Member

XP did that to me when it decided to do a system update. Next time I rebooted, bam no sound. I still could use my usb ports but no sound icon in desktop and the same basic cycling sound.

I tried downloading the audio cab driver but nothing happened.

I had to reinstall. That was my first system restore on my first laptop.