Audio setup for my computer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jigga, Sep 13, 2004.

1. jigga

jigga while your gun's raisin, mine is blazin

Here's my scenario.. I want to upgrade my computer's speakers but not sure if I want to go the route of traditional computer speaker systems.

My bedroom has a washroom attached to it and I'd like a set of speakers installed in there so that I can use that set while showering instead of blasting the bedroom set. My old stereo receiver had inputs for 2 sets of speakers... so maybe I can get a new receiver that has the same and do it that way.

Maybe I can go the route of wireless speakers...but I'm not sure how well they perform.

What do you guys recommend? Should I hook up a receiver to my computer and get home theater speakers for the main setup because eventually I will be wanting to have a television in my room too.

Let me know what u think..

TIA

2. 04

04 Guest

If you want to have two sets of speakers, then I would suggest getting a seperate reciever/speaker setup rather than just computer speakers. The former will allow you to customize your system easier as well for the future, and likely sound better and get louder.

The downsides are that it will very likely cost more, and will take up more space.

I would not reccomend wireless speakers for any application that is able to run wires.

3. jigga

Thanks for the reply. :)

Are there any receivers that you can recommend for a computer set up? I'd need one with an AUX input right? (I'm guessing this because one of my old receivers which had an AUX input worked with my pc where as my newer home theater receiver which didn't have an AUX input wouldnt work well)

As for the wireless bit... well, it's just because I have no clue how I'd run wires from my bedroom to the washroom, as the computer is in one corner and the washroom speakers would be in another corner, about 30-40 feet away. I really didn't want to have to pass a wire up through the attic and make holes and stuff :hs:

4. 04

04 Guest

How much do you want to spend? Almost any reciever will work (and you can use other inputs, like cd, video, or tape to connect to your computer)

Well, IMO unless you are willing to sacrifice a lot of sound quality, I wouldnt use wireless :hs:

5. jigga

hmm... well... not sure how much i wanna spend..but i want somethng that will be good enough that if i want to add more stuff later (tv, etc.) i can do that.. i guess i'd like to connect it to the pc thru the sound card's optical output, so it would need that.. do all receivers have an optical input?

what brands are good? i heard yamaha's are alright lately? i've been outta the loop..sorry :hs:

6. 04

04 Guest

Well you could spend as little as 150 dollars and get a reasonable reciever with digital inputs. Most new recievers have digital inputs, unless you get a stereo only model.

Yamaha is a good brand. Honestly most consumer recievers are pretty good IMO, so its hard to really get a lemon.

7. jigga

cool thanks... looks like i'll have to do some shopping and check out reviews online

cheers :)