audio pops whenever a sound stops playing... halp me ot!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by chansigril, Feb 23, 2008.

1. chansigril

chansigril not an og, just a g OT Supporter

having some sound issues, i have some ideas but nothing seems to have worked so far so i figured i'd ask for some help.

whenever any audio stops playing, within a few seconds there is a very audible popping sound. also, sounds do not play immediately, for instance when i go into my sounds and click on the windows asterisk sound to play sometimes it plays and sometimes it doesn't. my receiver shows it is receiving something but there is no actual sound. other times or longer sounds it plays.

i have no issues with extended playback or other sound issues that i have noticed. the delay issue existed prior to my installation of the new razer barracuda card, the popping started once it was installed.

current sound drivers, using optical audio out, dolby digital etc. sound goes to an amp.

htpc system specs:

athlon x2 4200+ am2
    7900gtx
    2gb ddr2 800
    razer barracuda sound card
    gigabyte g57sli-s4 motherboard
    win xp sp2

thoughts or ideas are appreciated. i suspect possible pci bus issues (i have a usb hub card in my other pci slot with 4 devices plugged in... and 3 more devices plugged directly into my motherboard. all usb devices seem to function properly however with no issues. my other thought was an irq issue but nothing is noted in the device manager.

so... halp me ot :x:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

lol
    wtf

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

What kind of speakers are you running?

Which connector on the card are you running?

4. chansigril

hay faggot :gtfo: if you're not going to help :squint:

matter of fact you're so baller let's see your htpc :fawk:

5. chansigril

the speakers are not the issue, it's a sony 5.1 surround system but none of the other inputs (hd cable via optical or digital audio) or wii have any issues. only the htpc sound out, and i am using the optical audio (toslink) out on the card. the sound quality is excellent with no issues other than when the audio stream stops (the pop) and the freakin start/stop delays. i am as certain as i can be it is related to either irq sharing or pci bus issue :(

6. Doc Brown

Well I'm not so convinced it's either of those two issues.

If i'm getting this right, you have no other speakers hooked up to the pc other than the Sony 5.1 setup. That setup is connected via toslink.
    When you run various components that are inputted to the pc, the sound is
    fine. But not when you run the htpc application?

If I've gotten that right, then it's not an irq or pci bus issue.

What htpc app are you using?

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

42" 1080P LCD
    Yamaha HS50M monitors
    KRK Rockit 10" sub
    M-Audio FW410

I WIN!!!!

[​IMG]

8. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

McDonalds = fail

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

fuck you. Them cheeseburgers are fucking grub. Every now and then I just crave em.

10. chansigril

the only speakers i have hooked up are indeed the sony 5.1 through a receiver which is connected to the htpc via toslink. no other components are connected to the htpc, my hd cable box goes direct to the tv and the video game systems likewise. no other audio problems are present via other digital, analog or optical connections, yes i have tried swapping the ports with no success. this is definitely isolated to the htpc.

i am not using a specific htpc app. this is regardless of what app i am using on the pc... there is a delay (moment or two of silence) prior to the sound playing and a pop whenever a stream stops. actual playback, say from a dvd being played in the htpc is unaffected, until i close the app (whatever that may be) and a couple of seconds later i get a pop, it almost has to coincide with the audio stream stopping.

not a speaker problem, not a receiver problem, definitely a pc problem :) i do appreciate the help btw :)

11. chansigril

404 no htpc found :dunno: and that's no home theatre setup right thar :) at least i hope not :mamoru:

where is that anyway, mommy's basement?

wait wait wait... is this you :rofl:

[​IMG]

you are wrong sir... you lose :rofl: quit trolling my thread fatty :hahano:

12. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

your best bet is to just ignore him altogether.

anyway, have you tried completely removing the sound drivers and reinstalling?

can you try just hooking up a normal set of PC speakers? if so, does the same thing happen on them?

also, how about if you run msconfig and then disable all startup items? see if there is anything running in the background that might be causing trouble.

13. Doc Brown

They had the two fish sandwich deal recently here, and I had two of them with fries and a large drink 4 days straight on my way to work.

:mamoru:

14. chansigril

i have tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers with no success, i also updated from 1.10 to 1.20.

i haven't tried another set of speakers but i have a 2.1 upstairs i'll hook up later tonight just to rule it out.

i did run msconfig and cleaned it out a little, realtek still had a service in there from the on-board sound even after disabling etc :hsugh: but i haven't tried disabling all startup items. i'll give it a go, that's a good idea, thanks for the help :) i'll post back up in a bit.

15. Doc Brown

I guess I just don't understand the relevance of mentioning the cable box or video games if they aren't in circuit with the pc/speakers.

But in this case, I still don't suspect the irq or pci bus. Maybe the sound card itself, but not the pci bus.
    I'm not familiar with that sound card, are you able to try a different connector other than toslink?
    How about the sound card driver, you running the latest one from th emanufacturer, or just the one that came on the cd?

edit*
    I see you did try newer drivers...

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

It is a HTPC because that's where I do 90% of my time, and movie/tv watching. And last time I checked, that's really all a HTPC was.

And for your information, my audio setup beats the shit out of 100% of all computer speakers, and 99% of that shit everyone else calls a "home theater". So unless you went balls-out on your audio setup (you didn't) I win. The clarity out of these things is amazing.

I have a yamaha receiver with a mix of KLH and Boston Acoustic speakers for my "real" HT -- that barely gets used.

I don't even live in the same state. My nearest family member is 750miles away.

My home is ~3000 sq.ft. not counting the big garage. Plus plenty of land. I'm doing okay. Where do you live?

Yea, that is me. And yea I put on some weight. That's what happens to football players after highschool who don't keep exercising. Oh well. I'm actually in pretty good shape, and I outlast all my friends when hiking or snowboarding. That being said, I am trying to lose some weight. Since you seem to care so much, here's what I looked like in HS when I wasn't fat:

[​IMG]

Ah yes, let's make fun of someone's body type :rolleyes: That's major lose :rolleyes:

17. chansigril

i'm not going to argue with you here son, i came in looking for answers, not trolling. you started this when you trolled the thread. i will say that a htpc is a pc, which is a computer... and you still haven't mentioned what the specifications are on the pc that drives that "home theatre" of yours :) reading comprehension > you.

so... sounds like you're doing well in life, congratulations. i am too but don't need to talk about it on the internet. now gtfo of my thread unless you have something to contribute :)

18. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Just asking questions that haven't been asked yet:

When did this start happening. (before/after any hardware changes?)

This is out of the blue but I'm putting it out there for the more experienced techs. Could this be a power issue. Could the PSU be dying?

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Anything is possible, and never say "never"..... But 99.999% this is not the problem.

He has a shitty card from a no-name company. No doubt the hardware or the driver is buggy.

Swap a decent card in, or try onboard audio and I bet the problem goes away.

20. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I ask the question for a reason. It's a shot in the dark but there's some logic behind it. (though very little logic) I have a set of Klipsche 4.1 Speakers and a 5.1 Audigy Sound Card and when I turn my computer off the speakers pop. Doesn't happen when I have my headphones plugged into the soundcard, just the speakers. I've thought it could be the amp for the speakers or the sound card is buggy. :confused:

Just throwing info out there to saturate the problem. :rofl: Don't mean to be hijacking. Ignore me, by all means. :wiggle:

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ground issue. Most speakers/cards will disconnect their input/outputs before cutting power so you get that "soft" power on/off. Yours doesn't.

22. chansigril

razer is hardly a no name company. this card uses the cmedia 8788 chipset, which is fantastic. the problem is not the power supply either.

after a bit of troubleshooting last night, the problem here is that some type of windows or other power management is shutting off the sound card whenever it isn't actually creating an audio stream. i have the same problem with my onboard sound, which is the realtek alc883 hd chipset. the problem is simply more pronounced when i output in dts/ddl.

the search continues.

23. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

This makes perfect sense because the speakers were on another computer and this didn't happen.

Why hasn't this "solution" been brought up with the OP? Could the PCI port be powering off/on every time the soundcard is used? Could switching PCI ports on the MB fix this?

It would stand to reason that the speakers are receiving a surge in voltage and the result could be the pop.

Just a theory I"m floating.

24. chansigril

you are right on point. the pci port is likely powering on and off, i tried switching pci ports last night with the same results. the receiver display is showing the stream starting and stopping from the card :mad:

what i really need is an app to silently keep the soundcard/pci slot awake. even if it outputs an audio stream at 0 volume level and eats up a small amount of resources it would be worth it :hs:

25. Doc Brown

This is not a pci slot issue, guys. Electrically, any and all components have a "draw" from the power supply that is solely dependent on the requirement of the component. In other words, your power supply/ pci bus are not doing any sort of "anticipating". So what this means is that power supply and motherboard supply steady and constant stream of power to pci bus, where it's the soundcards job to decide when to start/stop the process of using that power.
    So in effect, the motherboard is not stopping it's supply of power to the pci bus.
    That power is always available. If it was the other way around, it would be cutting out at random times, not just when the media stops playing.

Have you tried another set of speakers yet?

edit*
    And like P07r0457 said, nothing is 100%.
    But this is 99.9999% not the pci bus.