Audio output quality of an iPod...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Skoles, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Skoles

Skoles Guest

I currently have a Shuffle. Works great, nice & small perfect for what I need in a music player now.

All my music is ripped at 256kps ACC format and it sounds great through the Shuffle even tho it doesn't handle custom EQ's. If i found a very cheap full size iPod just for playing my music in the car (my headunit has AV inputs) would it sound as good as putting music onto mp3 CD's?

I hear all this crap about the noise to db ratio of the iPods and that's where they suck (but my Shuffle doesn't prove that). But even if I can find a cheap 10gb to hold more than a 700mb CD it would be nice for the interface alone, but I want to make sure it sounds just as good.

Anyone hook their iPods to their car stereo through the A/V inputs and play music at a high quality?

2. inamorata

inamorata New Member

i use a tape adapter and it sounds great

get the belkin (or griffin, i forget) smartdeck tape adapter, it allows you to use you ipod and use the stereo controls, isnt released yet tho :sad2:

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

meh, I see people saying they think they sound good, but all of em that I've listened to have been reaalllly bad.

4. Get new headphones.

5. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Bought a set of these Sonys and they sound great through the iPod Shuffle and most other things. Since the Shuffle doesn't have the power output they sound better when plugged into more power devices like powered speakers for example.

What I'm trying to figure out is if an iPod (non Shuffle) will sound as good or better with the same encoded files on an mp3 CD played through a car stereo.

Did they change the db to noise ratio in the newer models?

6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Take the sound from the line level dock connector and it should sound fine. All these people that bitch about everything sounding like shit either have golden ears or just love to complain a-la Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons.

7. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

the wolfsen audio chip in the iPod line is supposed to be one of the better audio ICs on the market, at least from the recreational research I've done on audio this has been noted. :dunno:

8. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I use the belkin headphone-RCA adapter at home and in the car and it sounds great.